Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tamron Lense?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

It's good that you choose to ask the question. I would get in touch with Tamron directly and ask if it has a built-in autofocus motor.

Their info-sheet says "works with all Nikon D series digital cameras".. so it PROBABLY does have one. I don't believe Tamron likes to misrepresent their equipment.

I have 2 Tamron lenses (70-200mm f2.8, and 70-300mm f4-5.6) and I can't complain about either one, really. (since I shoot on Pentax though.. I don't have the "auto-focus motor or not" dilemma that some Nikons have.)

Good luck with it.
    stetyrrell wrote: »
    i've just spotted this on pixmania, it says AF, but i'm not sure if it actually has the autofocus motor in it. i'm using a nikon d3000.
    has anybody had any experience or even heard about the lense? will it autofocus on my d3000?
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/532971/art/tamron/aspherical-if-macro-af-18.html#tech-specs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

All I know is I bought a Tamron 75-300 a while back from a D3000 owner. He sold on because it wouldn't auto-focus on his camera. Soon as I stuck it on my D200 to test Auto focus kicked in. So do double check and be certain it'll focus on your cam or you'll be very disappointed.

I know this version is a lot cheaper, but I'd have a hunt and see could I find the OS version, maybe used, over this. That's a nice range but with no stabilisation it's going to be wobbly at the long end, especially since the widest at 200mm is f/6.3

Remember, 18-200 is basically 2 kit lenses in one. 18-55mm plus 55-200mm, and most people agree that the 2 lens option will be optically superior as they're not trying to do be so much. I always say it only takes a minute to change a lens, less when you're well used to it. I'd only go for an optically stabilised version in this vast range.

Preferably the Nikon 18-200mm VR - much pricier, but I think it's worth saving the rest for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

I had this tamron lens a while back, http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/533049/art/tamron/af-70-300mm-f-4-5-6-di-ld.html, on my d5000 (which has no motor either) and it autofocused fine ;).

Advertisement