Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Thanks for all the great updates from carchaeologist and the newer posters to the forum! It's great for those of us who no longer live in Tralee/Kerry to see the progress for ourselves but are still just as eager to be up to speed with what's going on. Keep them coming!!

I won't recognise Tralee the next time I'm down!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Glad you like it ongarboy, there's not much chat on this thread really compared to some threads, good to have some positive feedback.

If anyone else has pics or anything relating to the bypass to post feel free to do so.

This thread just hit the 30.000 views mark. Mad!:D

http://www.engineersireland.ie/EngineersIreland/media/SiteMedia/groups/regions/an-riocht/Tralee-Bypass.pdf?ext=.pdf

Just came across above this evening which gives a good technical overview of the whole project. The section Phase 3 "at a glance" page gives the best summary of the bypass I have seen detailing clearly all the grade separations, roundabouts and river/road/rail crossings. Worth a look if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

ongarboy wrote: »
    http://www.engineersireland.ie/EngineersIreland/media/SiteMedia/groups/regions/an-riocht/Tralee-Bypass.pdf?ext=.pdf

Just came across above this evening which gives a good technical overview of the whole project. The section Phase 3 "at a glance" page gives the best summary of the bypass I have seen detailing clearly all the grade separations, roundabouts and river/road/rail crossings. Worth a look if you are interested.

Cool, thanks ... here it is for everybody ...
    Phase3.jpg

• Advertisement

That's excellent stuff, thank you for that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Do I take it that a "road crossing" on that map (yellow dot) is an over/underpass? Providing no access to the mainline from the side road?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Do I take it that a "road crossing" on that map (yellow dot) is an over/underpass? Providing no access to the mainline from the side road?

The yellow dot up near the top of the pic? That's the Knockwaddra overbridge, photographed extensively here. It's the Ballinorig crossing just above the N of Tralee town in that map picture that i dont understand. Seems like a very odd junction?
    Can someone explain it?

just guessing but is it that the new marked orange roads being built will enable those coming from Clash Ind Est direction to enter the bypass (as well as crossing over via the overpass) but no facility for existing bypass traffic to exit at that location? One of the new connecting roads will run south of the Ballybeggan racecourse and another will run from the old Ballinorig road.

PS I wasn't aware that there would be an overpass on the new Killarney road section so that makes 3 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Putlock

The structure at ballinorig (no 12), is an overpass bridge basically the same as knockawaddra, it will carry the ballinorig road re alignment which continues on to a roundabout that services the clash industrial estate, the ballinorig road and the dual carriage off ramp. the structure on the Killarney side is the ballyseede road overpass. (precast structure, not an in-situ bridge)
    The ballinorig bridge can't be seen from public roads so ill try and get some pics next time I'm up there.

• Advertisement

That would be excellent Putlock, I can't get any interior shots.

Some more from the N69 upper roundabout.

Looking east towards Listowel from town.
    IMG_5099.jpg

Same place just slightly further on the road looking West down towards Tralee.
    IMG_5098.jpg

N69 Roundabout construction near Leith west.
    IMG_5097.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Nice oul weather yis are havin down there.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It's the Ballinorig crossing just above the N of Tralee town in that map picture that i dont understand. Seems like a very odd junction?
    Can someone explain it?

I made an attempt at explaining it in a previous post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78910836&postcount=269

Basically, the existing Ballinorig road is being severed by the bypass and will not have an over/underpass bridge provided where it currently intersects the bypass. Instead the Cash Industrial Estate road that runs along the southern perimeter of the race course is being extended via an overpass to link with the Ballinorig road to the east of the bypass. There is NO ACCESS to the bypass at this junction. There is one slip road off the bypass to allow northbound traffic exit. So, in essence, a quarter of a full GSJ. And the stump of Ballinorig road to the west of the bypass will be linked to this new Clash-Ballinorig road via a short link road that runs parallel to the bypass on its western side. This link road and the slip road from the bypass meet the Clash-Ballinorig road at a roundabout just west of the overpass.

I hope that convoluted explanation helps! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

Quackster wrote: »
    I made an attempt at explaining it in a previous post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78910836&postcount=269

Basically, the existing Ballinorig road is being severed by the bypass and will not have an over/underpass bridge provided where it currently intersects the bypass. Instead the Cash Industrial Estate road that runs along the southern perimeter of the race course is being extended via an overpass to link with the Ballinorig road to the east of the bypass. There is NO ACCESS to the bypass at this junction. There is one slip road off the bypass to allow northbound traffic exit. So, in essence, a quarter of a full GSJ. And the stump of Ballinorig road to the west of the bypass will be linked to this new Clash-Ballinorig road via a short link road that runs parallel to the bypass on its western side. This link road and the slip road from the bypass meet the Clash-Ballinorig road at a roundabout just west of the overpass.

We are all happy with that info you gave us there Quackster.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

Looking at the diagram again , that makes perfect sense. :)
    Seems odd to me though that they would have only a northbound exit off that flyover - whats the point ?. Hope its well signposted for traffic exiting the Ind Est.

I don't know that exact area where the flyover is but surely there would have been scope for a south bound exit as well ?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Nice oul weather yis are havin down there.
    Not today spacetweek!:(

Just took these today as i was passing this eve, not much new really on this side.

Looking west at new road from Ballybeggan roundabout to the college.
    IMG_5284.jpg

Looking up towards Knockwaddra overbridge from Ballybeggan..
    IMG_5285.jpg

And Forge cross roundabout
    IMG_5287.jpg

I reckon the Ballyseedy road up from the castle has now got its overpass built because the road is now open again, i will try and get up there over the weekend.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

555guy wrote: »
    Looking at the diagram again , that makes perfect sense. :)
    Seems odd to me though that they would have only a northbound exit off that flyover - whats the point ?. Hope its well signposted for traffic exiting the Ind Est.

I don't know that exact area where the flyover is but surely there would have been scope for a south bound exit as well ?

The argument against a southbound exit is that there would be no major benefit for traffic using it versus such traffic exiting at the Ballybeggan roundabout instead. A southbound access would be much more beneficial (especially for Oakpark residents like me! biggrin.gif). But the existing Clash Industrial Estate Road west of the gates is not being upgraded as part of this scheme and it's pretty narrow which limits its potential traffic capacity. (This section of road was supposed to be upgraded by developers as part of the racecourse development which of course ain't happening now!) Also, a necessary realignment of and provision of a roundabout at the junction with Clash and Racecourse Roads isn't part of this scheme either.

In fact there wasn't supposed to be any access or exit at the Ballinorig Road junction as projected traffic flows through this junction don't meet the NRA specs for provision of a roundabout or GSJ. In that regard, we're quite lucky to have received special dispensation from the NRA for the northbound off-ramp! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

I reckon the Ballyseedy road up from the castle has now got its overpass built because the road is now open again, i will try and get up there over the weekend.

The overpass isn't built yet, they have just lowered the road and put a (looks like) a temporary surface on. Work was continuing there today.

• Advertisement

Knockwaddra overbridge this week..
    IMG_5356.jpg

IMG_5359.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patk72

I make the journey to Tralee From Killarney frequently, i have to go to Strand Road can you explain the best way to get there via new road? do i come out at Lidl?

dmeehan wrote: »
    The overpass isn't built yet, they have just lowered the road and put a (looks like) a temporary surface on. Work was continuing there today.

Here is that part of the road, looking down towards Ballyseedy, you can see how much the road has been lowered. There is rolled stone on both sides of the road presumably to take the concrete overpass.
    IMG_5380.jpg

Further down on the middle of the lowered road looking left towards Killarney.
    IMG_5382.jpg

And the road up towards the college from forge cross. Note the channel dug across the road, drainage channels?
    IMG_5374.jpg

Streetlight poles are now in place at the Ballygarry roundabout and the large signs with the information about the road have been put in place here, and also at the roundabout in Leith, funny because there is no road built yet there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Is it true that they are running WAY behind schedule? A ballinorig resident told me that they are 16 months behind but that sounds crazy to me.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Is it true that they are running WAY behind schedule? A ballinorig resident told me that they are 16 months behind but that sounds crazy to me.

I'd say just a bit behind in parts, but not 16 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

How would a "ballinorig resident" know they were 16 months behind schedule?
    As a matter of interest, how long is the entire schedule?

dmeehan wrote: »
    How would a "ballinorig resident" know they were 16 months behind schedule?
    As a matter of interest, how long is the entire schedule?

Why the use of inverted commas? Are you implying that Ballinorig residents are a figment of my imagination?

Why the use of inverted commas? Are you implying that Ballinorig residents are a figment of my imagination?

No, they were implying that Ballinorig residents are from Venus while the rest of us are from Mars!:rolleyes: Lighten up a little!;)

The NRA website is still giving Quarter 3 of 2013 as a completion date. TBH, I´d be very surprised that there would be any major slippage from that date. Most national road projects in recent years have been completed ahead of schedule. The only notable exception was the Limerick to Birdhill route due to the "sinking bog" phenomenon.

ongarboy wrote: »
    The NRA website is still giving Quarter 3 of 2013 as a completion date. TBH, I´d be very surprised that there would be any major slippage from that date. Most national road projects in recent years have been completed ahead of schedule. The only notable exception was the Limerick to Birdhill route due to the "sinking bog" phenomenon.

I'd agree with that, just saying what I heard though. The road is on their doorstep and they have to deal with the Bam engineers a lot due to water damage on their road caused by this construction. There is a lot of sinkage on this project too by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

In fairness to BAM, they finished the Castleisland bypass months early. I cant see them being 16 months behind on a job that has only a 2/3 year timescale!

Advertisement