Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

traleespud wrote: »
    Comparison shots are amazing!!!

Thank you sir, and its not finished yet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

When are they going to break through that final block of limestone at Ballygarry? My God, it is like the Calebra Cut in the Panama Canal.

Think there's two more blasts scheduled to bring the final few meters down!!! It's usually a blast per week depending on what's processed in the crushers following the previous blast !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

There loading fill materiel from the new water resovoir that's been built out thre for use in bypass!!!

Thanks traleespud! It seems coffees are the contractors for the reservoir job. God the have the road destroyed!

There loading fill materiel from the new water resovoir that's been built out thre for use in bypass!!!

Thanks traleespud! It seems coffees are the contractors for the reservoir job. God the have the road destroyed!

Ya tis Coffey Construction alright I think Bam struck a deal with them for the fill material.

There quite short on good quality material.

Actually the Ballyseedy fill either side of the flyover is very poor quality, there's actually talks of taking it all off again.

It's like walking on a trampoline !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

So they won't be laying down the tar on the bypass anytime soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

Is Ballybeggan roundabout open yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

Ya tis Coffey Construction alright I think Bam struck a deal with them for the fill material.

There quite short on good quality material.

Actually the Ballyseedy fill either side of the flyover is very poor quality, there's actually talks of taking it all off again.

It's like walking on a trampoline !!!!

Is the fill material coming from the new resevoir pencil ?? a local to the area told me it was , surely this wouldn't make good fill material for a new road as its too soft especially compared to say limestone ??

snams wrote: »
    Is Ballybeggan roundabout open yet?

It is indeed, look back a page for my pics of it.

So they won't be laying down the tar on the bypass anytime soon?

I'd say its a while off yet. The Tarmac finished surface is being laid my a company called Lagans think there from Northern Ireland. They are setting up an on site tarmacadum plant at the moment at the back of main compound and I think it takes about 4 weeks to completely set up the plant. They had to pour foundations etc to take the plant and there's still about 8 trailer loads parked on the Ballygarry stretch to be assembled.

I heard there was gravel being put on the bypass around Leith, apparently you can see it from the road if you were driving a high vehicle like a truck, van or bus. Is there any substance to that story?

• Advertisement

I heard there was gravel being put on the bypass around Leith, apparently you can see it from the road if you were driving a high vehicle like a truck, van or bus. Is there any substance to that story?

Seems there is a bit of a move on now with the new road onto the roundabout from the N69 alright, there has been some gravel laid here during the week.

Seems there is a bit of a move on now with the new road onto the roundabout from the N69 alright, there has been some gravel laid here during the week.

Ya it's being tidied up and graded etc in preparation for the final surfaces to be laid. This will be the first side to be laid.

Much of the heavy earthworks is now complete.

Kirwans, one of the sub contractors have moved a lot of there gear to another job which is a clear indication of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

When should they be gravel laid on the Ballybeggan stretch?

Bridge panoramas today..

South.
    IMG_7642.jpg

Bridge looking west.
    IMG_7645.jpg

North.
    IMG_7644.jpg

And Ballyseedy flyover during the week
    IMG_7597.jpg

0D4C2982-B4DD-4015-B9A4-788E1CD844D6-15958-00000F1BF770F9A3_zps55008169.jpg

Quick shot of the Tarmac plant currently being set up behind the main compound!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Love the pics. The view from the overbridge is great, the bypass is starting to look quite substantial.

I see there is some graveling work being done at the Leith roundabout as I was passing this evening.

I see there is some graveling work being done at the Leith roundabout as I was passing this evening.

Indeed, seems there's a good push on there now. Will be very strange to have such a roundabout out there when its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Indeed, seems there's a good push on there now. Will be very strange to have such a roundabout out there when its done.

It'll be interesting to see how that roundabout works, it seems to be well off to the side of the existing road. I wonder how far out the listowel road the 50km zone will be for it.

The new roundabout at Forge cross is already causing traffic delays back towards Dromthacker in the mornings.

That's because the roundabout in Forge cross isn't finished properly yet, Traffic coming out of town and turning right up the hill is slow because of the old junction still being there, and the same coming down. Once the old road up to the college is closed and the roundabout working as it should things should free out.

The roundabout in Leith is well off the road, but on the Listowel side at least the road will run straight onto it, the bridge that was rebuilt a few years back was built to suit the new bypass as opposed to the existing road.

The only thing that amazes me is that the 2005 realignment of that part of the road is now totally useless and was a waste of money, all it will be now is a cul de sac, just beside the cul de sac the original road became!

• Advertisement

Two views looking south into Leith Roundabout from the N69.

IMG_7700.png

IMG_7701.png

Location of roundabout at Skehanagh.

View out of Tralee
    IMG_7703.png

And driving back in..
    IMG_7705.png

Ballyseedy flyover this week..
    IMG_7597.jpg

View north from Knockwaddra flyover yesterday, drainage piping being installed along left side of what will be the roadway. Rock breaker is working ahead of the digger ahead of the guys laying the pipes.
    IMG_7696.jpg

And today, Rock breaker working flat out, looks like slow going. Lots of activity along this part of the bypass at the moment.
    IMG_7710.jpg

Panorama..
    IMG_7712.jpg

Is there any target date for the completion of the Forge Cross section of roadway in front of the North Campus of the IT Tralee?

Is there any target date for the completion of the Forge Cross section of roadway in front of the North Campus of the IT Tralee?

Not sure of that. I could be wrong but seems the main push on is to finish the main part of the bypass from Leith to Ballyseedy. The other roads are incidental and will follow after, though work is continuing everywhere.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yeah, while the weather is favourable the mainline is being prioritised at the moment to make up time. With the completion of eathworks on the mainline, attention will shift back to finishing off the link roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

I passed today and I saw that there was gravel layed in the Ballybeggan stretch.

Was it my imagination or did I see that ye finally broke through the limestone at Ballygarry? I could definitely see the tar plant clearly from the road anyway.

Was it my imagination or did I see that ye finally broke through the limestone at Ballygarry? I could definitely see the tar plant clearly from the road anyway.

Yes, seems like the last bit of that has been taken down. Some serious rock has been taken out of there.

• Advertisement

When the tar is eventually laid down on the Leith stretch of the bypass, would that part of the bypass be open to traffic? Or would the whole bypass have to be complete before traffic can be allowed on it?

Advertisement