Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Maybe unrelated but I drove on the N21 today and further up around the Ballyseedy Garden Centre/Castle junction, there was some fairly significant road works going on with street lighting being put up etc. Is this part of some tie in to the bypass work or someother work - if unrelated, I wonder what they are doing at that junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The works at the Ballyseedy junction are not part of the bypass, but seem to be a re-alingnment of the junction both in towads the castle and into the Garden centre at the opposite side, this is a disaster of a junction to drive at the best of times. The road planer was hard at work this morning each time as i was passing through.

I have been told the bypass is graded with stone from Leith almost as far as Knockwaddra overpass. Looks to be partially graded on the northern side of Ballybeggan roundabout also.

**Also this thread has just hit 50.000 views!**
    Not bad going in just short of two years
    Nice one!!
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

they are adding traffic calming measures at junction beside ballyseedy garden center, and street lighting.

As well as causing traffic chaos every morning. Would it kill them to start at 9:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

I saw a tanker belonging to Lagan's Bitumen at Leith roundabout since yesterday.

They are coming up near the bridge now in Knockwaddra with the grading from Ballybeggan. They were still flat out at 6.30 pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Leithman

Only discovered this thread this morning believe it or not via facebook , subsequently discovered that the same FB photos were plagiarised from this site , and that these were uncredited photos , very bad form indeed . Could i suggest that the site admin actually create an official FB at some stage ? .

To carchaeologist and to the other contributors a 'well done' from me , some fascinating insight into this huge project , naturally living in Leith i had an interest in this one but i really had no idea of the extent of the work involved , well done to those who went to the trouble of photographing and uploading the pictorial record , well done lads .

On an unconnected note i drive daily from home to work in Listowel , the other N69 roadworks from Kilflynn cross to Waterfall in terms of road surface are frankly a disaster , detours with big potholes etc , thanks Allman's .

Looking south from the bridge on Friday around 3pm, they are busy laying stone and gravel. They have almost reached the bridge by this evening, but it was too dark for me to take any pics.
    IMG_7817.jpg

A view of the underside of the bridge from the northern side.
    IMG_7735.jpg

Hello Leithman, and welcome to boards! Glad you enjoy our efforts.
    Leithman wrote: »
    Only discovered this thread this morning believe it or not via facebook , subsequently discovered that the same FB photos were plagiarised from this site , and that these were uncredited photos , very bad form indeed . Could i suggest that the site admin actually create an official FB at some stage ?

No need really, this is good enough for everything. Also this isnt official, just a few of us taking pics and sticking them up here for posterity.
    To carchaeologist and to the other contributors a 'well done' from me , some fascinating insight into this huge project , naturally living in Leith i had an interest in this one but i really had no idea of the extent of the work involved , well done to those who went to the trouble of photographing and uploading the pictorial record , well done lads .
    As a local to this is an interesting one for myself aswell, i really do think that most people living in Tralee have no idea about the extent of the job thats going on around them! Lots of people i have talked to havent a clue and are amazed by any photos i show them.
    On an unconnected note i drive daily from home to work in Listowel , the other N69 roadworks from Kilflynn cross to Waterfall in terms of road surface are frankly a disaster , detours with big potholes etc , thanks Allman's .
    I havent been out there in a while now, must give a spin out durin the week. That job cant be too far off being finished. There is a thread on this road on this forum if you look, but its not as well subscribed as this one is.

In fairness to Allmans, they are building their road literaly across many parts of the existing one, so there is bound to be a lot od mess and uneven surfaces, where as most od the Tralee Bypass is being done in fields out of the way of roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is there an expectation that the entire scheme will open at the same time or will the 8km dual c-way bypass open separately to the 5.5km single c-way aspect coming from Killarney? Also, is April of next year still looking good for opening date, does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

ongarboy wrote: »
    Is there an expectation that the entire scheme will open at the same time or will the 8km dual c-way bypass open separately to the 5.5km single c-way aspect coming from Killarney? Also, is April of next year still looking good for opening date, does anyone know?

The whole lot of the project is due to open together in March.

The whole lot of the project is due to open together in March.

It won't open all together I'd say. They will be still finishing off some of it late into next year. There's a huge push on at the Ballygarry to Leith part these last few weeks.

Shots off the bridge this eve.

South..
    IMG_7925.jpg
    A hive of activity here, flashing beacons everywhere.

North..
    IMG_7927.jpg
    Diggers and rockbreaker working away, and three Volvo BMs working in tandem servicing the digger. Those BMs are serious machines to drive through the mud,they seem to be able to drive through anything.:cool:

As a matter of interest, following on from a conversation with a friend yesterday, who is the furthest away from Ireland and viewing this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 EurasiaEndtoEnd

As a matter of interest, following on from a conversation with a friend yesterday, who is the furthest away from Ireland and viewing this thread?

Originally from Cork but living in Japan a long time now. Go home every year to see the family and love to drive on the new roads around Ireland. Have many happy childhood memories of holidays in Kerry and am looking forward to my next trip there and hoping to see and drive on this fantastic project.

A big thanks to all who post photos here and who have encouraged me to take photos of the N40 upgrades in Cork. Well done and keep up the great work.

MC

Ballyseedy overpass this evening.
    IMG_7934.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Has anyone any interest in the new Kenmare link-road bypass which is well underway at the moment also?

Stinicker wrote: »
    Has anyone any interest in the new Kenmare link-road bypass which is well underway at the moment also?

Yes Id have interest in that too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Only discovered this thread this morning believe it or not via facebook , subsequently discovered that the same FB photos were plagiarised from this site , and that these were uncredited photos , very bad form indeed . Could i suggest that the site admin actually create an official FB at some stage ? .

Ya i have to agree re the stretch of road that allmans are doing, its a total disgrace the way they are allowed leave the road in the condition they do every evening.

Im doing Listowel to Killarney 6 days of the week and this stretch of road is an accident waiting to happen. some of the craters and where they fail to backfill holes correctly is an absolute joke on what is a national road!

There will be an accident on this road before they are finished, maybe Kerry County Council light come out of there offices some day and give a drive over the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

Yes Id have interest in that too.

me too ... get another thread started I'd say.

• Advertisement

555guy wrote: »
    me too ... get another thread started I'd say.

Ill try and get this one started

I just created the thread for the Kenmare Link Road Bypass. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056793821

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

We are having bad weather for road building these days.

We are having bad weather for road building these days.

Most of the northern side from Leith to Ballybeggan is now graded. So it's not muddy and swampy in that part at least.
    Just the bit north of the bridge in Knockwaddra left to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fergoose1978

It looks like they have begun tarring the slip road on the leith side

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I would love to get my hands on whatever idiot is in charge of BAM, they have effectively created two great speed bumps at the tarmac joining the new roundabout on the Killarney road and hit it at greater than 10mph and you will damage your car. Also the roads especially out near Ballymac at the beginning of the scheme are totally coated in muck, no such thing as road cleaning and lorries and site machinery dragging out all the gutter onto the main road, practically every second car in Tralee is covered in mud because of this carelessness.

Stinicker wrote: »
    I would love to get my hands on whatever idiot is in charge of BAM, they have effectively created two great speed bumps at the tarmac joining the new roundabout on the Killarney road and hit it at greater than 10mph and you will damage your car. Also the roads especially out near Ballymac at the beginning of the scheme are totally coated in muck, no such thing as road cleaning and lorries and site machinery dragging out all the gutter onto the main road, practically every second car in Tralee is covered in mud because of this carelessness.

Id be more worried about the flooding of the existing roads that seem to have been caused by the works on the bypass, especially between Kingdom autopoint and for four or five miles out the listowel road.

Id be more worried about the flooding of the existing roads that seem to have been caused by the works on the bypass, especially between Kingdom autopoint and for four or five miles out the listowel road.

To be fair, both of those parts of the road flooded before anything was done with the bypass, particularly the parts above Lahern where the road narrows on the bends.

To be fair, both of those parts of the road flooded before anything was done with the bypass, particularly the parts above Lahern where the road narrows on the bends.

It seems to be worse now, but either way you would imagine that the drainage off the road is the one of the most important parts of the project.

Water sitting on the surface has potholes and craters appearing after a few weeks on new roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Ya I have to say I travel that road most days in all kinds of weather and remember it flooding long before the bypass ever started construction!!

With regards to anyone having problems with a particular stretch of road and the state it's in I'd advise a quick call to the bam site office at Ballygarry. There no is 0667169623. Bam are very conscious of issue like this and I'm sure they would appreciate the call!!!! They power washed the entire roundabout at Ballygarry about 3 wks ago to clean it up. I suppose in fairness with the weather we have, its extremely difficult to keep roads clean. The do have two road sweepers and a tractor and water tanker cleaning from first light but I'd say it a serious uphill struggle.

Advertisement