Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

It looks like they have begun tarring the slip road on the leith side

No they haven't begun tarring yet as the tar plant isn't completed its set up. What they've laid on the Listowel road cut is CBM (cement bound materiel) it's basically a lean cement mix. It's cheaper to lay this first as it'll require less tar for its finished surface. There due to start from the ballybeggan roundabout next and work north towards knockawadra fly over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

when will they begin putting the tar down?

when will they begin putting the tar down?

In the next 2-3 wks AFAIK the plant should be operational late next week. It almost complete.

Heard today the plant costs 500k to assemble and disassemble. Serious rigging!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

It is! Wow! It's a pity the evenings are dark so early now, by the time I drive past it's too late to see anything not to mind get any photos in.

It is! Wow! It's a pity the evenings are dark so early now, by the time I drive past it's too late to see anything not to mind get any photos in.

Should be down that end next week will try and get a few pics !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Leithman

If its ok to add these two pics , snapped them this morning (03/11/2012) from Short Mtn looking NW , just gives a foreshortened view of part of the layout .

dscf3267e.jpg

dscf3269pj.jpg

Excellent stuff there Leithman! Gives a great view from the Ballinorig Junction up towards Leith. Interesting too to see how the road bends and turns so much.

Heres my shots off the bridge today.

South, grading completed as far as the foot of the bridge.
    IMG_8129-1.jpg

North, pipelaying still continuing slowly along here.
    IMG_8130-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

Is there much left to do in relation to pipe laying at that bridge?

Is there much left to do in relation to pipe laying at that bridge?

I think they have to lay the pipes up as far as can be seen in that pic as its graded all the way down from the N69 on the other side.

Is the Leith Roundabout tarred? I swear I could see that it was tarred yesterday.

• Advertisement

Is the Leith Roundabout tarred? I swear I could see that it was tarred yesterday.

No tis def not tarred yet its just the cbm sub layer that's being laid at the moment

traleespud wrote: »
    No tis def not tarred yet its just the cbm sub layer that's being laid at the moment

Which is this..
    IMG_8161.jpg

Some shots of the N69 Roundabout entrance roads where they will meet the existing road.

Looking south towards Tralee from the Northern side.
    IMG_8135.jpg

And from the opposite side of the roundabout..
    IMG_8152.jpg

IMG_8150.jpg
    Ballybeggan roundabout looking North towards the N69.
    IMG_8134.jpg

It is easy to mistake that CBM for tar.

It is easy to mistake that CBM for tar.

It is, because its been sprayed with tar, looks exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Not sure if this was shown already but you can see the rough layout of the bypass now on Google Maps.

To the left of the red line below:

gANVp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 47 EurasiaEndtoEnd

Just wondering why this thread exists on the Kerry Forum instead of Roads Forum. Could you create a mirror thread on Roads to attract even more viewers?

This question/topic may have been dealt with before, in which case my apologies for not searching the forum.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Apologies if this has been posted already...

In advance of the construction of the N22 Tralee Bypass, many fascinating sites were identified. By far the most enigmatic of these monuments was a possible ritual avenue that was uncovered in the townland of Ballingowan, which is just east of Tralee town...

http://rubiconblog.com/2012/11/07/the-ballingowan-avenue-all-in-the-mind/

jkahs-ballingowan_07v01_plate-1_jmm.jpg?w=640&h=470

Just wondering why this thread exists on the Kerry Forum instead of Roads Forum. Could you create a mirror thread on Roads to attract even more viewers?

This question/topic may have been dealt with before, in which case my apologies for not searching the forum.

MC
    It was my fault originally, i didnt think it would take off the way it did, i think anyone who is interested views it here though? Im not sure if its possible to move an entire thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 EurasiaEndtoEnd

It was my fault originally, i didnt think it would take off the way it did, i think anyone who is interested views it here though? Im not sure if its possible to move an entire thread?

Not a fault at all. I thank you for your regular updates, fine photography and comments. I think leaving it here is fine. Regulars know where to look for it.

However, maybe you could post the odd few photos in a thread in Roads giving a taste of how the project has progressed from the start and inviting people to visit here. Just a thought.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I prefer it here, I would never have seen it otherwise and it is very interesting.

Leave the forum where it is.

Well, at this stage anyone who is interested probably knows where it is. Also there was a thread on this in the Roads forum but it was closed with a diversion to here at the end.

I see that there has been a walkway constructed under the river lee culvert on the most southern stretch at the gallys bar entrance. I'd imagine the walkway from the aqua dome/wetlands will be extended somewhat from gallys on. Don't know if it'll be part of the finished bypass or if it'll be a Kcc project after the bypass completion. Anyone hear anything along these lines????

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I was stuck for 1/2 hour at the works at Ballyseedy cross this morning at 8:30 (second morning). What's going on at that location and surely they could wait until after the morning rush hour before blocking off the traffic?

I was stuck for 1/2 hour at the works at Ballyseedy cross this morning at 8:30 (second morning). What's going on at that location and surely they could wait until after the morning rush hour before blocking off the traffic?

Don't think that's actually anything to do with the bypass project. KCC seem to be calling the shots, looks like traffic calming for some reason they've put up street lighting also. Looks a bit nuts tbh never heard that junction causing any problems?? Totally agree though the traffic jams that it causing are horrendous. Hope its finished before the Xmas retail rush in manor west!!!

traleespud wrote: »
    Don't think that's actually anything to do with the bypass project. KCC seem to be calling the shots, looks like traffic calming for some reason they've put up street lighting also. Looks a bit nuts tbh never heard that junction causing any problems?? Totally agree though the traffic jams that it causing are horrendous. Hope its finished before the Xmas retail rush in manor west!!!

That junction is notorious for accidents. They are just putting in traffic calming measures. But.its.taking.ages....
    If they started work after 9 and finished later instead of starting at 8 and being gone for 4 it would make things much easier traffic wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

According to AA Roadwatch it will finish this coming Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Leithman

These pics taken this evening ...

No 1 .. the enormous gravel heap visible from the Ballyseedy roundabout

dscf3332xz.jpg

No 2 and 3 .. from the Ballinorig Road looking North toward the Clash/Ballinorig flyover

dscf3339q.jpg

dscf3340c.jpg

No 4 and 5 .. looking South and the tarmac plant

dscf3342k.jpg

dscf3344d.jpg

No 6 .. same location , work in progress on the drainage system

dscf3341r.jpg

Note : worth pointing out that all these images were taken from the public roadway , my camera has quite a good zoom lens .

• Advertisement

Good stuff there Leithman, i was gonna take similar pics today but a hangover precluded me from doing so! :o

Interesting to see the tar plant equipment with the wheels still on it!

Advertisement