Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Leithman

This is what it is I'm thinking?
    http://www.rubiconheritage.com/2012/11/07/the-ballingowan-avenue-all-in-the-mind/
    Already posted by kingdumb earlier in the thread.

My mistake then , picked it up wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

Is the tarring process still going on? I saw the tar plant smoking away Friday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Is the tarring process still going on? I saw the tar plant smoking away Friday morning.

Yup there moving about to different stretches there over around the new mitchels pitch at the moment!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Leithman

Took another gander on Friday morning , difficult lighting conditions for the camera , the road looks white at times with the glare .

First few are from the same location as i posted 11/11/12 , #540

North to the Ballinorig flyover ..
    dscf3549i.jpg

dscf3541w.jpg

South .. the camera was reasonably level .. check out the road camber
    dscf3553j.jpg

South from Knockawadra ..
    dscf3560i.jpg

Local stream/stormwater run-off .
    dscf3564m.jpg

South .. the Ballybeggan roundabout .. (where blue truck is)
    dscf3565x.jpg

Looking North toward Leith .. the Knockawadra flyover is where tar meets pencil ..
    dscf3568n.jpg

Looking forward to progress in 2013 , one or two nice spots there for Varadkar to plant a toll plaza , if he so chooses :eek: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

Great photos. There wont be any toll plaza on the Tralee bypass

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Great photos. There wont be any toll plaza on the Tralee bypass
    Thankfully he was only messin with ya :)

spacetweek wrote: »
    Thankfully he was only messin with ya :)

Yes i know :) hahahaha. They have a lot of it tarred now but they havent nothing tarred don the listowel side of the knockwarrda bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

....They have a lot of it tarred now but they haven't tarred on the Listowel side of the Knockwarrda Bridge.

Hopefully they leave this section 'till the very last as it's not needed for another 10/15 years (if at all).

Finish the Tralee ring road section from 'Gallys' to Ballybeggan roundabout (IT Campus) then complete the Cork approach to Tralee section asap imho.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

They have a lot of it tarred now but they havent nothing tarred don the listowel side of the knockwarrda bridge.

Much of the stretch from the Leith roundabout towards Knockawaddra has been finished to basecourse level too - only a relatively short section in between remains.

Quackster wrote: »
    Much of the stretch from the Leith roundabout towards Knockawaddra has been finished to basecourse level too - only a relatively short section in between remains.

Yes I'm sure they will finish off the section in between this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Has this not finished yet? Will this bypass tralee if you were going to killarney?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

doovdela wrote: »
    Has this not finished yet? Will this bypass tralee if you were going to killarney?

From where?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

From where?
    Off the N69?

Or that coming into tralee from the N69 that you can avoid the town and get onto the Killarney road without having to go into tralee town?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

doovdela wrote: »
    Coming from listowel (N69) you will be able to bypass Tralee from the N69 about 4 miles out from town near Leith.
    Coming from Killorglin you will be able to Bypass Tralee from Skehanagh cross just outside Lidl.

Much thanks for the invite to the site tour Friday morning. Thought it was a windup for awhile..:o
    Nice to see this little 'ol amateur thread is proving interesting to the guys on the ground.
    Thanks again.

IMG_9245_zps48f1681b.jpg

More pics on this will follow in due course.:)

The loneliness of the long distance rock breaker... (12/1/13)
    IMG_9299_zps9c0a06fd.jpg

Another rockbreaker ready to go (13/1/13)
    IMG_9310_zpsd2b840f1.jpg

Supose there will be a push on on this section now if the weather holds some bit dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Expected opening date has been pushed back to mid July: www.radiokerry.ie/news/tralee-bypass-now-to-be-finished-by-mid-july/
    The Tralee Bypass is now expected to be completed by mid July. That’s according to contractors BAM who are working on the 97 million euro project.

The Tralee bypass project comprises of eight kilometres of dual carriageway, five kilometers of single carriageway, 5.3 kilometres of link roads, 7 roundabouts and 6 bridges including one river and one rail bridge. It’s estimated the bypass will reduce journey times through Tralee by at least 8 to 10 mins. BAM civil began construction on the road last August. At the peak of the project over 60 people were employed; 20 are currently working on the road and that number will reduce as the project nears completion. Kerry County Council had said the completion date for the road was March. However, BAM says the road is now due to be finished in mid July. The delays were caused by a number of factors including uncovering deposits of limestone karst and the heavy rainfall of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

On site production resulted in 16,000 less lorry deliveries to Tralee Bypass

16,000 less lorry deliveries were made to the Tralee Bypass because of the production of material on site.

There are CBM and asphalt plants on site, using the rock available for building the road.

Contracts Manager for BAM Construction on the Tralee Bypass, Liam Beausang said this significantly reduced the amount of vehicles importing stone and aggregate.

It’s estimated there were 16,000 less deliveries because of the on site production on the 97 million euro road project:

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/on-site-production-resulted-in-16000-less-lorry-deliveries-to-tralee-bypass/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Listening to Radio Kerry this morning the Tralee bypass will not now be open until mid-July. One interesting aspect of the development seems to be the extent to which the contractors used the rock etc on site to use as fill rather than importing it onto the site and in doing so saved circa 16k deliveries to the site from the likes of John A Wood - on the other hand it also meant that they used approx 100 tonnes of dynamite in extracting that rock onsite!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I thought March seemed a little ambitious alright given that it's only a month and a half away and the recent photos on this thread suggest a fair bit to be done.

Technically speaking, there is no delay as the NRA website always had Quarter 3, 2013 as the project completion date so July falls under that. I guess the hope was that it would be finished months early. I would bet if there are further slippages/set backs that there will be a rush to have it finished in time for the Rose of Tralee festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

ongarboy wrote: »
    I thought March seemed a little ambitious alright given that it's only a month and a half away and the recent photos on this thread suggest a fair bit to be done.

Technically speaking, there is no delay as the NRA website always had Quarter 3, 2013 as the project completion date so July falls under that. I guess the hope was that it would be finished months early. I would bet if there are further slippages/set backs that there will be a rush to have it finished in time for the Rose of Tralee festival.

The guy on this morning suggested an 8-10 minute saving compared with going through Tralee will be the bypass' impact. However what I will be looking at is will it take enough traffic volume from the Tralee/Killarney road at peak times to undo the blockages that take place on that road from Boherbue out despite their being no traffic lights along that whole stretch!

kn wrote: »
    The guy on this morning suggested an 8-10 minute saving compared with going through Tralee will be the bypass' impact. However what I will be looking at is will it take enough traffic volume from the Tralee/Killarney road at peak times to undo the blockages that take place on that road from Boherbue out despite their being no traffic lights along that whole stretch!

The main Killarney road will not continue to the Ballycarthy roundabout upon completion of the bypass. The narrower part of that road that exists now will revert to be a local road with an entry/exit onto the new road at the new intersection.

The new road will continue to meet the bypass at the new roundabout second from the left at the bottom of the picture here. The Ballycarthy roundabout will be almost redundant then as the road outside Ballygarry off the new roundabout will be then effectivly solely the Tralee to Castleisland road.

I always wondered why the road from Killarney was not completed in that short stretch from the Flemby cross to Ballycarthy, now it makes sense!

Traffic coming from Killarney will be split up into a few routes as opposed to the single entry point to the town now which also carries the Limerick and Castleisland traffic. The traffic will be much more dispersed around the town depending on where it is travelling to.

Once people get used to the new route options availible, and there will be quite a few, Traffic should reduce significantly on the road outside Mcdonalds.
    10fakqg.jpg

These excellent ariel pictures here are Copyright ©2012 J. B. Barry and Partners Limited.
    Photos are a few months old as work has progressed quite a bit since.

Knockwaddra flyover looking south west.
    n223-large.jpg

Railway bridge near the tar plant looking east.
    n222-large.jpg

New Clash intersection/junction at Ballinorig looking south.
    n224-large.jpg

Leith roundabout looking south, Tralee to the right and Listowel to the left.
    n221-large.jpg

- on the other hand it also meant that they used approx 100 tonnes of dynamite in extracting that rock onsite!

Heres what 100 tonnes of explosive looks like going off in one go.. Hard to get a scale to see quite how big the bang is but seing as the speed of sound travels @ 340 meters per second and it takes quite awhile to get to the camera its fair to say its a long way away!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

..........on the other hand it also meant that they used approx 100 tonnes of dynamite in extracting that rock onsite!

So how much dynamite would it have taken to have extracted that rock off site?
    Assuming it roughly the same moving the dynamite a long way & the rock a short way beats moving the rock a long way in terms of carbon footprint.
    In planetary terms more buck for your bang perhaps or is that less buck? :rolleyes:

Things are livening up northside of the Knockwaddra flyover now.
    Some more drainage channel has been dug out and the rockbreakers are tapping away constantly. A few BM Dumpers are in relay too.
    IMG_9363_zps8f680da1.jpg
    Photo is slightly out of focus, the better one wouldnt upload for some reason.

I know those BMs were road legal at some strage but i remember reading somewhere that they no longer are, due to the weight of them, anyone know the story on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Car,
    Presume the 'new entrance' to Manor Shopping Centre will be from the roundabout (behind Woodies/TK Maxx/Next) on the Cork/Killarney entry point to Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

amadain wrote: »
    Car,
    Presume the 'new entrance' to Manor Shopping Centre will be from the roundabout (behind Woodies/TK Maxx/Next) on the Cork/Killarney entry point to Tralee.

There will be no new entrance to Manor West, existing entrances will continue to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

amadain wrote: »
    Car,
    I had the same thing in my head since they announce the go ahead with the bypass and when I'd checked the maps I was surprised not to find an entrance to Manor West form the south. I can't see the reason of not having that entrance except that drivers will use Manor West as a shortcut to go to some locations around (Noyeks, Aldi, McDonalds, etc) and by doing that creating a traffic nightmare especially at Christmas.

• Advertisement

Slightly out of chronological order, and as promised earlier in the week here are the shots i took on the site tour last friday.
    All the technical details discussed on the day have already been documented here via the Radio Kerry reports, and in the Kerryman and Kerrys Eye paper.

IMG_9248_zps03947c5b.jpg
    Caterpillar 980G Loader.
    Gross power 300hp
    14.6L engine
    27773 kg
    Bucket capacity 4.2M2

IMG_9266_zpsd6b26065.jpg
    A Titon 500, a diesel powered self contained crawler mounted drilling rig designed for blasthole drilling in the mining, construction and quarry industry.
    It is designed for drilling 105-152mm dia holes of depths to 35 mts when equipped with 102mm dia drill pipes (5000 mm in length).

IMG_9253_zps0faed969.jpg
    On site concrete plant.

IMG_9256_zps08af4ac5.jpg
    On site Tar plant, note the wheels on parts of it for road transportation.

IMG_9260_zpsae7870a6.jpg
    View towards Tralee from the top of the railway bridge.

IMG_9263_zps58c47cd3.jpg
    Railway bridge with sealing in place looking north towards Ballinorig.

IMG_9261_zps02e0303a.jpg
    View looking east towards Killarney from on top of the railway bridge.

Advertisement