Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

IMG_9267_zpsda4173b7.jpg
    Looking north towards Ballinorig from inside the quarry.

IMG_9273_zps3bd739ab.jpg
    Rock crushing machines at work, different grades of gravel are achieved by running the rock though different machines consecutively as can be seen here.

IMG_9274_zpsdd6fb3b0.jpg
    Site entrance at Skehanagh, looking out in a southern direction towards Skenhanagh cross. There will be a roundabout constructed here in due course.

IMG_9275_zps2b579734.jpg
    Looking back towards Lidl from the new road, shot taken from just below where Randles service bay is behind TK Maxx.

IMG_9276_zps5e315dcf.jpg
    A Vogele Super 1803-2 Road paver which has a maximum pave width 8m and a laydown rate up to 700 tonnes/hour.
    Maximum layer thickness 30cm, a transport width 2.55m with a pave speed up to 18m/min and a travel speed up to 20km/h.

IMG_9278_zps5b849983.jpg
    View west towards Lidl.

IMG_9277_zps1bf62aee.jpg
    View east towards new Killarney road roundabout which at the moment is not built.

IMG_9279_zps5f8eb9d1.jpg
    Road edgeing detail looking East.

IMG_9283_zps7e0dceaf.jpg
    Mitchells part finished clubhouse from the rear.

IMG_9284_zps6a48f264.jpg
    Old farmers bridge road crossing point.

IMG_9285_zps80ec1986.jpg
    New junction to Farmers bridge.

IMG_9288_zps6ecf236a.jpg

IMG_9289_zps6bd2a199.jpg

IMG_9290_zpscfaf5803.jpg
    Three views of the Ballyseedy flyover travelling East and looking south.

IMG_9287_zpse09f66b1.jpg
    Missed this one earlier, its just past the new junction for Farmers Bridge looking east in the Killarney direction.

IMG_9291_zps8b4dacb4.jpg
    Moving along new new Killarney road past the flyover further east, road is still being prepared for a finished surface here although most of the heavy work is complete. Basically there is no surface on the road from just before the Ballyseedy flyover to the Killarney intersection at the moment.

IMG_9294_zps8e590290.jpg
    This shot is almost at the intersection with the existing Killarney road, still digging going on here as the land is prety marshy and soft here.

IMG_9295_zpsf5b84df7.jpg
    This shot is just taken looking at where the new road will meet the existing Killarney road just before where it narrows coming into Tralee just past the Flemby junction. The actual join will be at the Flemby junction getting rid of the slight bend thats there at the moment.
    View is looking East.

IMG_9296_zps6c91b3fd.jpg
    Detail of a Hamm Vibratory Drum roller seen in the earlier picture. Looks to be a Hamm 3412 but im open to correction on that.
    The 3412 has a weight of 12190kg and a power output of 131.4hp with a 3000l fuel capacity. The vibration frequency when in use is 40Hz, the mains power in your house is 50hz.

Surely issue 4 of the newsletter is due shortly?

IMG_9281.jpg
    One of the Bitumen tankers on site.

From Lagans own site..
    The bitumen division operates at the leading edge of binder and emulsion technology, fulfilling its own inhouse demands across Lagan companies while also being positioned as a market leader in the supply of quality products to the public sector, county councils and private contractors.
    Over recent years the company has opened a new terminal at Dublin Port (2006) with a tankage capacity in excess of 10,000 tonnes and built a Polymer Modified Bitumen production facility in Dublin (2008) to enhance existing facilities in both Dublin and Port of Belfast. The company operates its own ship as well as an inhouse dedicated testing and quality laboratory.
    The modern Lagan terminals receive cargoes of crude bitumen sourced from world markets which is then manufactured to a fine degree of accuracy as straight run and cut-back Bitumen.
    Lagan Bitumen holds a range of accreditations including ISO 18001, ISO 14001 and ISO 9001, for Health and Safety, Environment and Quality respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

dmeehan wrote: »
    There will be no new entrance to Manor West, existing entrances will continue to be used.

Mr Meehan,

Have they allowed for a 'future new entrance' into "Manor West from the south" from this new roundabout behind where the "Randles service bay is behind TK Maxx".

A special word of THANKS to CAR for all the photos !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great pictures of the machines,I suppose they didnt let you have a go at operating them,id love to have a crack at one of those big BMs or the big track machines or any of the machines for that matter :D

Work continuing well around the Bridge.

IMG_9380.jpg
    Some drainage piping has arrived on the south side.

IMG_9381.jpg

IMG_9383.png
    VOLVO BM A25C 6X6 Articulated dump truck.
    250hp and 796lb ft of torque from a 6.7 litre turbocharged 6 cylinder engine.
    10 forward gears and 2 reverse with a max speed of 32mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is it planned to open the Killarney road section and the bypass at the same time or separately? Secondly, will the bypass section be classified as the N69 or N22?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

ongarboy wrote: »
    Is it planned to open the Killarney road section and the bypass at the same time or separately? Secondly, will the bypass section be classified as the N69 or N22?
    One would imagine it will be N22 as its the most primary of the roads.

• Advertisement

Some winter scenes after the snow this week..
    IMG_9472.jpg

IMG_9473.jpg

IMG_9474.jpg
    Looking towards Tralee over the bridge..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

There's been a bit of activity around Forge cross lately. I wonder is that next on the agenda.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Car, you are a dedicated and amazing photographer :)

spacetweek wrote: »
    Car, you are a dedicated and amazing photographer :)
    I wouldnt go that far spacetweek..but thanks for the comments. :o

Road closures relating to the bypass in the coming months..

*National road N70 in the townland of Camp for a period of ten days between Monday 18th Feb to Friday 1st March

*Ballinorig road L2020 for five days between Wednesday 13th Feb to Wednesday 20th Feb.

*Dromthacker road L2016 for five days between 27th Feb to the 6th March.

*L2016 Road between Dromthacker and Muing for five days between 20th Feb to the 27th Feb.

*Farmers Bridge road L2011 for five days between Wednesday 13th Feb to Sunday 17th Feb.

*Ballyseedy road L6547 for five days between Monday 4th March to Friday 8th March.

Official Kerry CoCo PDF here
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/media/media,8008,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

*National road N70 in the townland of Camp for a period of ten days between Monday 18th Feb to Friday 1st March

*Ballinorig road L2020 for five days between Wednesday 13th Feb to Wednesday 20th Feb.

*L2016 Road between Dromthacker and Muing for five days between 20th Feb to the 27th Feb.

*Farmers Bridge road L2011 for five days between Wednesday 13th Feb to Sunday 17th Feb.

*Ballyseedy road L6547 for five days between Monday 4th March to Friday 8th March.

Official Kerry CoCo PDF here
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/media/media,8008,en.pdf

Is the L2016 the road from Forge Cross over to the Racecourse (via the college)?

And is the L6547 Ballyseedy road under the new flyover, same road as Ballyseedy Castle?

Would anyone be able to draw on a map where all of these roads are to be closed? :confused:

10fakqg.jpg

Perhaps this map ?

amadain wrote: »
    Mr Meehan,

Have they allowed for a 'future new entrance' into "Manor West from the south" from this new roundabout behind where the "Randles service bay is behind TK Maxx".

Anyone ?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

This is the section of road from Forge Cross past the ITT to the junction with the Knockawaddra Road (Turn for Kerry Technology Park).

This is the section of road from the junction with the Knockawaddra Road to the junction with the Ballybeggan Road at the racecourse. Incidentally, there's a mistake here - it should be Muing East and not Muing. Muing East and West are townlands in Tralee whereas Muing is a housing estate!

This is indeed the road overbridged by the N22 Killarney Road that passes Ballyseedy Castle.

Hope that helps!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

amadain wrote: »
    Anyone ?

An access road to Manor West Retail Park from the new Camp Roundabout isn't within the scope of this project as it would be a private road and entirely a matter for the owners of Manor West (and any additional owners of traversed lands) to decide upon. However, there would be no objection in principle to it once it complied with the necessary standards and Camp RAB would be able to accommodate it.

As it would have to be funded entirely by the developers and would involve a substantial structure in crossing the River Lee, the significant costs involved would have to provide an economic return (say in expanding the retail park south and/or opening up additional lands for development) and I can't see that being the case for the foreseeable future.

However, I'd be fairly certain that it will happen eventually.

• Advertisement

*National road N70 in the townland of Camp for a period of ten days between Monday 18th Feb to Friday 1st March.
    *This is, im assuming, for the new roundabout construction in this area just above Lidl*

*Presumably to allow for construction of the new road across the existing road, which will be cut off then. I guess the new flyover and roundabout here will be operational by then. *

*This is to allow for the new road construction from the Forge Cross roundabout up to the college where it crossses over the existing road here*

*This is to allow for the construction of the new staggered junction onto the new road at the top of the hill i guess*

*I think this will be to allow the bypass to be built across the Farmers bridge road just beside the entrance to the partially finished new Mitchells club*

*Presumably this is to allow for surfacing of the road underneath the flyover as the road there at the moment is just temporary as the existing road was dug down during construction*

Its all coming together now...

Quackster wrote: »
    An access road to Manor West Retail Park from the new Camp Roundabout isn't within the scope of this project as it would be a private road......However, there would be no objection in principle to it once it complied with the necessary standards and Camp RAB would be able to accommodate it.......

I note this access would be a private road BUT have Kerry CoCo "allowed for it" - from the "Camp RAB" ?????? i.e. a future (4th) exit from this roundabout.

Shots taken last Thursday, steady progress being made with the drainage on both sides here...
    IMG_9729_zpsb5e1e56f.jpg

One of Quirkes Hino 380 8x4 Tipper trucks drawing earth from the site.
    IMG_9731_zpsa76a9a90.jpg

Tar machine is working on the N69/Leith roundabout this week, spotted them a few times passing by. Looks like there is more bad weather on the way, might get in a few more winter shots of things yet..:rolleyes:

Its all coming together now...

Road closures starting next week.......

13th Feb to 17th Feb. L2011 Farmers Bridge road.
    *I think this will be to allow the bypass to be built across the Farmers bridge road just beside the entrance to the partially finished new Mitchells club*

13th Feb to 20th Feb. L2020 Ballinorig road.
    *Presumably to allow for construction of the new road across the existing road, which will be cut off then. I guess the new flyover and roundabout here will be operational by then. *

18th Feb to 1st March. N70 National road in the townland of Camp.
    *This is, im assuming, for the new roundabout construction in this area just above Lidl*

20th Feb to 27th Feb. L2016 Road between Dromthacker and Muing.
    *This is to allow for the new road construction from the Forge Cross roundabout up to the college where it crossses over the existing road here*

27th Feb to 6th March. L2016 Dromthacker road and L6510 Knockawaddra road.
    *This is to allow for the construction of the new staggered junction onto the new road at the top of the hill i guess*

4th March to Friday 8th March. L6547 Ballyseedy road.
    *Presumably this is to allow for surfacing of the road underneath the flyover as the road there at the moment is just temporary as the existing road was dug down during construction*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Leithman

The photos in the snow from 2 weeks ago are class CC ;) ... was passing the Knockawaddra flyover this evening and took these 3 pics , i know that a good few pics have been posted from this location already but i'll stick these in anyway .

1 looking South , 2 and 3 looking North to Leith Cross .
    dscf6681z.jpg

dscf6688.jpg

dscf6689y.jpg

A few shots of the N69 Roundabout at Leith..

Looking towards Listowel where the new road will intersect the old..
    IMG_9969_zpse77d2d1b.jpg

View of new Bypass looking towards Knockwaddra..
    IMG_9972_zpsd3800803.jpg

Panorama looking towards Knockwaddra..
    IMG_9971_zpsde5d633e.jpg

View towards Tralee at the road intersection..
    IMG_9975_zps5e7827a6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

How much more is there to be done to the bypass?

How much more is there to be done to the bypass?
    Off the top of my head, and im no doubt missing stuff out here..

*Finish the Leith roundabout and both N69 intersections there.
    *Finish the Forge cross roundabout to Ballybeggan roundabout road including the new staggered junctions at the top of that road above the college, also the college will have a new entrance off this road too.
    *Finish the Killarney road intersection and junction at Flemby.
    *Finish the Clash-Ballinorig roundabout, entrance/exit roads and complete the road on the new road bridge there.
    *Install new roundabout at Skenhanagh on Castlemaine road.
    *Cross existing Ballinorig road permanantly.
    *Finish surface tar on the the Knockwaddra bridge.
    *Finish surface tar Forge cross roundabout.
    *Finish surface tar Ballybeggan roundabout.
    *Road surface preperation yet to be done from the Ballygarry roundabout in the direction of the new Killarney Roundabout which will be south of Manor shopping centre.
    *Road surface still to be fully prepared for surfacing/CBM/tar north of the Knockwaddra bridge for some distance yet.
    *Road surface yet to be laid from the rail overbridge to the Ballygarry roundabout past the concrete and tar plant.
    *Install central division(Post and Rope im assuming this will be?)
    *Complete lighting and services.
    *Paint roadmarkings.
    *Install directional Signage.
    *install Road Art.
    *Have grand opening.
    *Party like its 1999....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Hi Car,

I think everyone would agree with me in saying that you must have a part in the official opening of the bypass.
    Your enthusiasm for the project, photos and regular updates have been most inspiring,and interesting over the months.
    Thanking you most sincerely
    Best regards
    Delthedriver

• Advertisement

Hi Car,

I think everyone would agree with me in saying that you must have a part in the official opening of the bypass.
    Your enthusiasm for the project, photos and regular updates have been most inspiring,and interesting over the months.
    Thanking you most sincerely
    Best regards
    Delthedriver

Thank you Del, im glad that you and other people have been interested in it. Its no big deal really, i just thought a project on this scale should have been recorded in some format for posterity (I know BAM are photographing everything they do from the ground and the air but thats not going to be a public thing). When i started 2 years ago i had no idea of the size this thread would end up at.. The photos i have posted are only about half of what i have actually taken, would be posting here for ever if i did post everything.
    Its been a learning experience for me along the way, particularly the day on the site tour. Maybe i shoulda done civil engineering in College...:P..

As for being part of the opening, i have ran an idea past one of the officials on the project, its up to them to see if they want to run with it.;)

In the meantime, ill keep ye updated...;)

Advertisement