Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 A1 Dan

I'm travelling listowel to killarney daily, and I'm still trying to figure out where to join the bypass. There seems to be more entrances and exits it'll take a bit of getting use to.

The NRA have a big sign budget (pardon the pun ! ) I'm sure you'll figure it out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

This may have been discussed before, but what was the key reason for having the bypass go so far north before connecting the N69. It seems that if the extra road (currently going north) headed west closer to town (below Tralee IT), and then it could have connected on to the R556 road for probably the same cost, and more likely fulfil the goal of diverting traffic from the town.

The reason for this is it would have proved impossible to route a dual carriageway in before the IT due to the junctions and exits that are there(This has previously been explained a few pages back). Therefore the road had to be extended out further to allow for the dual carriageway, and as far as i can make out the reason it is so far out is to clear Alderwood road, north of the town.
    Also the bypass links the National roads aroud the town, not the Regional ones so a route to the R556 was not within the scope of this project. Phase 2A of the Northern link road project is in the pipeline for that job.

After opening it will be interesting to see the look of bewilderment on the faces of drivers coming from Killarney, most I suspect who don't have a clue of the details of this project. They will all be following each other like lost sheep, going in circles around roundabouts serveral times looking and feeling like Mr. Bean.

The Killarney road will be changed alright, but it will be pretty obvious which routes to take. There will be a lot of new routes around the town ,it is a definate fact that most people in town dont have a clue what is going on, and when it opens will be amazed at the entire thing. None of the papers have really said much on the project bar the few updates here and there, this thread is about the most comprehensive thing out there.

The N21 will become much quieter as it will only be carrying the Limerick traffic when everything is opened, and thats definatly a good thing as that road can be a disaster at times.

In relation to the Northern side of the bypass being like 'a quiet bothereen', i dont think this will be the case, as any traffic heading to and from the Listowel side will find this route the best, smoothest, and the quickest way to circumnavigate the town.

I'm travelling listowel to killarney daily, and I'm still trying to figure out where to join the bypass. There seems to be more entrances and exits it'll take a bit of getting use to.

Come in the N69, take the first exit at the roundabout at Leith, take second exit at Ballybeggan roundabout, second exit at Ballygarry roundabout and then the first exit at the next roundabout, and on you will go to Killarney, on the new road as far as Flemby where it will meet the existing road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

After opening it will be interesting to see the look of bewilderment on the faces of drivers coming from Killarney, most I suspect who don't have a clue of the details of this project. They will all be following eachother like lost sheep, going in circles around roundabouts serveral times looking and feeling like Mr. Bean. The fact that so much of this project is green field and offline from existing roads, some who may never have been outside Kerry will be dumbfounded at the scope of this project, some may even end up in Listowel, when they were trying to get to Tralee :).

That's true enough. Ironically, it will be the strangers and 1st time visitors to Kerry and Tralee who will probably least likely get lost as they will just follow the well posted signs. Locals never read signposts as, in theory, they don't have to...!! It will be interesting to see how it all pans out this summer!

I've a couple of friends from Dublin who travel the M50 frequently and still do not use the well signposted free flow lanes at exits that were newly created a few years back at various junctions to avoid traffic lights but instead still use the traffic light signaled exit lanes/roundabouts that were always there. While those lanes still get them to where they want to go eventually, they endure several sets of lights. I've tried explaining when I've been their "back seat" driver but no joy!!!

Hasnt been a newsletter for quite awhile, theres definatly one due!
    I thought there would be one after the last press tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

.....the bypass go so far north before connecting to the N69....It is likely now that the northern part of the road (north of Ballinorig) will be a "ghost road", quieter than some bothreens.....

See maps A to D of the Bypass on here

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/n22traleebypass/thefile,4304,en.pdf

Note the above "ghost road" is over one-fifth of the overall length of the Tralee Bypass project approx (and includes a large overbridge at Knockwaddra) - so therefore, let's just assume one-fifth of the costs approx (and it's noted that not alot of rock was encountered on this section).

One-fifth = 19.4 million ! for this "ghost road ?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

amadain wrote: »

See maps A to D of the Bypass on here

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/n22traleebypass/thefile,4304,en.pdf

Note the above "ghost road" is over one-fifth of the overall lenght of the Tralee Bypass project approx (and includes a large overbridge at Knockwaddra) - so therefore, let's just assume one-fifth of the costs approx (and it's noted that not alot of rock was encountered on this section).

One-fifth = 19.4 million ! for this "ghost road ?"
    Have you seen the amount of traffic that come/go from listowel tralee every morning. It will be far from a ghost road!

I'm sure they surveyed the amouny of traffic on the road before the project started.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

What is this nonsense about a ghost road? You're assuming everyone using the bypass northbound will exit into the town. The primary purpose of the bypass is to divert traffic around the town, not provide access to it. All N69-bound traffic will divert to the bypass, that's gotta be a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

spacetweek wrote: »
    What is this nonsense about a ghost road? You're assuming everyone using the bypass northbound will exit into the town. The primary purpose of the bypass is to divert traffic around the town, not provide access to it. All N69-bound traffic will divert to the bypass, that's gotta be a lot.

I tried explaining this already. He should try sitting at Forge cross roundabout on a school morning between 8 and 9.

Have you seen the amount of traffic that come/go from Listowel/Tralee every morning. It will be far from a ghost road!

I'm sure they surveyed the amouny of traffic on the road before the project started.

This part of the Bypass ('ghost road' - call it whatever) from the new Ballybeggan roundabout (below the new Knockwaddra Bridge) going north to Leith Cross is the section of the Bypass that is in question here.

Firstly, no one seems to have a issue with my assumed approx cost of 19.4 Million Euro and therefore we will take it as read.

The real issue seems to be the amount of traffic coming into Tralee on the N69 route. They "surveyed the amount of traffic on this road before the project started." And yes, I do know how busy it is.

http://www.engineersireland.ie/EngineersIreland/media/SiteMedia/groups/regions/an-riocht/Tralee-Bypass.pdf?ext=.pdf

• Advertisement

This part of the Bypass ('ghost road' - call it whatever) from the new Ballybeggan roundabout (below the new Knockwaddra Bridge) going north to Leith Cross is the section of the Bypass that is in question here.

Firstly, no one seems to have a issue with my assumed approx cost of 19.4 Million Euro and therefore we will take it as read.

The real issue seems to be the amount of traffic coming into Tralee on the N69 route. They "surveyed the amount of traffic on this road before the project started." And yes, I do know how busy it is.

http://www.engineersireland.ie/EngineersIreland/media/SiteMedia/groups/regions/an-riocht/Tralee-Bypass.pdf?ext=.pdf
    Well if you know how busy it is, I don't see where your problem is?

Are you just complaining about the price?

Well if you know how busy it is, I don't see where your problem is?
    Are you just complaining about the price?

It's not the 19.4 Million Euro that was spent on this "ghost road" section
    BUT what value for money did Mr Joe Public get?
    .....or more so, in this case, what are we missing out on.

This 19.4 Million (for roads) would be better spent on other parts of the Tralee road network.

Firstly, the NEW roundabout at Forge Cross is already TOO SMALL imho.

"The problem with roundabouts is they don't really work if they are the size of a manhole cover. If you have 4 cars arriving at the 4 entry points at once they will all stop at the same time looking at the car that would be coming from their right. This causes the accordian effect behind them on 4 different roads. Then they all decide fuk this, I'm gonna go and all 4 pile into the roundabout at the same time - this would be ok on a large roundabout because there is a few seconds space for them to avoid each other but on the manhole cover ones there is no room for the 4 of them => carnage."

It's not the 19.4 Million Euro that was spent on this "ghost road" section
    BUT what value for money did Mr Joe Public get?
    .....or more so, in this case, what are we missing out on.

This 19.4 Million (for roads) would be better spent on other parts of the Tralee road network.

Firstly, the NEW roundabout at Forge Cross is already TOO SMALL imho.
    I thought all these projects have public meetings when there in the planning stage. Did you mention any of this at them meetings?

I thought all these projects have public meetings when there in the planning stage. Did you mention any of this at them meetings?

And what would that have achieved (in those hazy days of the FF reign) although the original CPO was annulled and the initial plans were then abandoned....something to do with Ballyseedy Wood and moving some monument if I remember correctly. :eek:

FYI
    Public Consultation for N22 Tralee Bypass Scheme Extension along N69 to Leath Cross

2.82 A Public Consultation process, including drawings showing the Study Area, Constraints and the proposed Route Options were put on display from Friday 12th to Wednesday 31st of October 2007 for viewing by the public. Submissions were invited and the closing date for receipt of submissions from interested parties with regard to the public consulation was Tuesday 6th November 2007.
    The Public Consultation was advertised in local newspapers and on the local radio station.

2.83 Affected landowners and the elected Members of Kerry County Council were also notified directly in writing of proposals with regard to the scheme extension.

2.84 A number of submissions were received by Kerry NRDO and some consultations took place on or before the closing date of Tuesday 6th November 2007. The principal views expressed by the interested parties either by way of submission or consultation can be summarised as
    follows:
    • 36.4% of the correspondence was in relation to the provision of a local road bridge at the Ballinorig Road (L-2020) as opposed to a roundabout junction as shown on the 2002 preferred route option for the scheme;
    • 27.3% were in favour of route option 4;
    • 18.3% were in favour of route option 3; and
    • The remaining 18% expressed no route preference.

Page 22 on here (if you care to have a read of the 283 pages).
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/n22traleebypass/volume2-mainreport/thefile,2971,en.pdf

But Ballyseedy is at the other end of the by pass. That had no bearing on the listowel side of it.

But Ballyseedy is at the other end of the by pass. That had no bearing on the listowel side of it.

I was simply refering to the "original" scheme back in 1995 (was going to go through part of Ballyseedy and involved move statues, etc but due to Mr Joe rePublic and others it was abandoned.

(on page 8 here...if you care for a little light reading)

Also note the difference between

the ‘6 route options’ of Phase 2 ‘Route Selection’ (page 11/41)

and the Phase 3 ‘Road Design’ stage (page 16/41) showing the 'Prefered Route Corridor' back in November 2007 on that weblink.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

Is this thread going dead or what? Are there any news regarding roundabouts, tar or for example lighting on the bypass?

snams wrote: »
    Is this thread going dead or what? Are there any news regarding roundabouts, tar or for example lighting on the bypass?

Thread not dead just yet! :)

No Change on the N71 Roundabout.

Forge cross roundabout is now finish tarred, but the road up past the college is not yet. Its great to have proper grip there now, quite a few cars have died there because of speed on the slippery tar.

Knockwaddra flyover has been finish tarred this week. Lovely and smooth now.

Havent had time to get in any photos, apologies for that.

Wondering when the leith roundabout will be finished out onto the N69?

• Advertisement

Have they a completion date yet?

The traffic getting from the Killarney/Castleisland roundabout to the Listowel road Friday evening added at least 30 mins to my journey.

It'll be a blessing when the bypass opens!

The traffic getting from the Killarney/Castleisland roundabout to the Listowel road Friday evening added at least 30 mins to my journey.

I think some time in July is the opening date.

17-3-13

New junction to Knockwaddra
    IMG_7620_zps613065e6.jpg
    New road to Forge cross looking towards Tralee from the new Ballybeggan roundabout.

IMG_7657_zps568c9a6c.jpg

1-4-13

New Junction to Knockwaddra
    Gravel Laid on the new road here.
    IMG_7814_zps815edf25.jpg

Knockwaddra flyover with tar finished, view looking East from the lower side of the bridge.
    IMG_7816_zps1fb75eef.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Do you go into the town to get onto the listowel road?

Do you go into the town to get onto the listowel road?

No I go up by clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

............The traffic getting from the Killarney/Castleisland roundabout to the Listowel road Friday evening added at least 30 mins to my journey.

You should head towards Castleisland & take the Lyracrumpane rd to Six crosses. Not a great road but moving on the byroad beats stationary on the "highway"

Not a great road

To put it mildly :D

Probably the most badly designed road in Kerry which is some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

xxyyzz wrote: »
    To put it mildly :D

Probably the most badly designed road in Kerry which is some achievement.

Designed never; it looks like it just happened.

You should head towards Castleisland & take the Lyracrumpane rd to Six crosses. Not a great road but moving on the byroad beats stationary on the "highway"

I take it the odd Friday, the time it saves is negated by the giant pot hole damage to the car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 MacLondon

Has the proposed work at Ballybeggan Road for this week actually started yet?

Advertisement