Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

MacLondon wrote: »
    Has the proposed work at Ballybeggan Road for this week actually started yet?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Walked a lot of the road with the dog tonight. Fantastic & no traffic. Left from Oakpark, turned right at Forge Cross. Road from College over to Kilduff road now tarred. Came out at roundabout on Kilduff road, turned left up under the Knockawaddra fly over and continued on to where the bypass meets the Listowel road. Beautibul evening. 7 Miles in total according to my new app, MapMyRide. Dog was flaaad out.

Anyone know if there will be a walk way on this bypass similar to the one on the Castleisland bypass.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Yep

Wasnt there supposed to be road closures in conjunction with this work? Will these road closures now take place at a later date? Its a bit of a lottery choosing which route to come to work each morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Hi all,

I have been following this thread for a while and the information has been excellent from all who have contributed which is great for an expat to follow. I have one question, last week I was at home for the 1st time since Christmas and noticed that there remains a huge amount of work to be done at the mile height roundabout looking in the direction of Ballybeggan, this appears to be at odds with the rest of the project and was wonder will this lead to further delays?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Hi all,

I have been following this thread for a while and the information has been excellent from all who have contributed which is great for an expat to follow. I have one question, last week I was at home for the 1st time since Christmas and noticed that there remains a huge amount of work to be done at the mile height roundabout looking in the direction of Ballybeggan, this appears to be at odds with the rest of the project and was wonder will this lead to further delays?

Don't think current project has anything do with that roundabout.
    Traffic will use the roundabount at Ballygarry House instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Apologies for the confusion but it's the roundabout at ballygarry house to which I was referring. There seems to be alot of work to do on the north side of the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Apologies for the confusion but it's the roundabout at ballygarry house to which I was referring. There seems to be alot of work to do on the north side of the roundabout

There is a bit, its the last part of the road to be completed, the tar plant and the cement plant are at the far end of that cut. Probably ooks worse too because all of the main offices and plant are based there too.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The reason there appears to be lots to be done here is because contractors BAM are capitalising on the excellent limestone they quarried out of the hill and are using it as aggregate for making dry and cement bound material and blacktop for the road construction to save on buying these in from off-site quarries.

Having quarried to the required depth, they have continued quarrying downward many metres beneath the level of the new road, resulting in the large hole currently visible from the roundabout. Once enough aggregate to complete the road has been quarried, this hole will be filled in with rubble (rock and soil) and the road built over it.

Most of the landscaping is now completed on Forge Cross roundabout now, and footpaths laid, its looking very smart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Most of the landscaping is now completed on Forge Cross roundabout now, and footpaths laid, its looking very smart.

There really hitting the Killarney road entrance hard now aswell, its really taking shape the last few days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 jerryqu

Check out the Irish Daily Mail Ireland FBD Road Atlas 2013 -free with the Mail last Sunday. It's the first time I've seen the new layout in a public atlas.
    The N69 now follows the bypass from Leith terminating at Ballygarry and the N22 runs in parallel to the N21 from the east.
    It makes it all very real.
    Sorry I can't link, my computer is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

There really hitting the Killarney road entrance hard now aswell, its really taking shape the last few days!

There is now a stop/go single lane traffic where the new road will join the existing N22

Traffic lights on the N69 on the Tralee side of the new Roundabout at Leith today.
    Not long before the roundabout is opened there now I reckon.

Up to 80.000 thread views this morning. Mad!

12-4-13

N69 at Leith roundabout.

Looking towards Tralee at the lower side

Some activity here and Traffic down to single lane through traffic lights on Friday(12th)
    IMG_8014_zps748f6b72.png

And the opposite direction
    IMG_8015_zps0f6f0ed2.png

Knockwaddra junction

Base coat tar now laid here for new junction though traffic still uses the old road for the time being.
    IMG_7995_zps611a19ac.jpg

14-4-13

Killarney Road(N22) interface. under construction.

Single lane traffic controlled by traffic lights here at the moment.

View towards Tralee from Flemby junction.
    IMG_8029_zpsf4eccda7.jpg

View towards Killarney on old road.
    IMG_8038_zps38c9169b.jpg

Two views towards Tralee showing how the new road is crossing over the old.
    IMG_8039_zpsa100b4c6.jpg

IMG_8037_zps15dae23a.jpg

One of Healy Raes Caterpillar 330Cs with an enormous rockbreaker fitted!
    IMG_8040_zpsa38f0bcc.jpg

View towards Killarney taken on new road
    IMG_8036_zps170b253c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

One of Healy Raes Caterpillar 330Cs with an enormous rockbreaker fitted!
    Wonder has the driver got his "dunken driver permit" to operate that yoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

Any news when they're going to finish the whole job?

snams wrote: »
    Any news when they're going to finish the whole job?

July officially, although most of the road surface is laid,here is quite a bit to do yet, there are no barriers, signage, roadmarkings yet done.
    The roundabout at Skehanagh is progressing quite slowly too strangely. All the other roundabouts were basically installed in a week.

Strangely also that there hasnt been a newsletter in quite a while? Last one was June 2012!

Single lane Traffic at Leith today again...

• Advertisement

Some comparison ariel shots about a year apart, give or take...:pac:

Leith roundabout then..
    IMG_8082_zps3e620250.png

And Now..
    IMG_8083_zps13270c46.png

Knockwaddra flyover then..
    IMG_8058_zps902494e7.png

And now..
    IMG_8066_zps4bf446bd.png

Ballybeggan roundabout then..
    IMG_8059_zpsf0f950ad.png

And now..
    IMG_8067_zps81971d79.png

Ballinorig flyover then..
    IMG_8085_zps7ec0f860.png

And now..
    IMG_8086_zps9d1374b2.png

Ballygarry roundabout then..
    IMG_8060_zps0434ddd9.png

And now..
    IMG_8069_zpsa47267ed.png

Forge cross roundabout and new road then..
    IMG_8075_zpsb396ad77.png

And now..
    IMG_8073_zps582d3cb4.png

Gratuitous long range shot looking up towards Leith
    IMG_8061_zpsfc2fff79.png

The ariel shots were taken from my personal helicopter about a year apart..

Disclaimer...
    (actually they are a combination of screen shots from Google maps and Apple maps, both have various degrees of quality and age that I combined to use to our advantage for this thread..! This is why they are not water marked as technically speaking they are not my photographs! I reckon its no harm to take these comparison shots now before they update the maps again and all the old ones will be made redundant. Thanks again to Mr Google and Mr Apple..:D)

There was flooding on the forge cross roundabout this morning. Surely this can't be happening on a new road already. Hope the council are monitoring things.

Seems ok now, apart from quite a bit of surface water.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There was flooding on the forge cross roundabout this morning. Surely this can't be happening on a new road already. Hope the council are monitoring things.

Perhaps the drainage is not connected up yet.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Perhaps the drainage is not connected up yet.

You would imagine since the roundabout is completed that the drainage would be working.

There was also a lot of surface water on it. You would hope with all the rain we get that the roads in Ireland would be designed so as not to hold the water.

If there is a lot of water being held on the surface that must surely cause potholes.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Just to clarify, none of the road surface (wearing course) has been laid yet, apart from a few minor bits on roundabouts and the overbridge. What you see at the moment is the base course which is dense bitumen macadam. The wearing course on the mainline will be hot rolled asphalt which is quite a fussy material to work with as it doesn't like wet or cold weather!

It's also very important to limit the number of transverse joints in the wearing course as much as possible by laying in a continuous manner rather than doing sections of the road in bits and pieces (as done for the under layers). To facilitate this, local traffic will be diverted onto the new Ballinorig/Clash road first - work on this link road is progressing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I note that at the closed-off road that led from Forge Cross up to the IT there is a nice pool of liquid gathering.
    That was even before our recent bout of weather.
    I presume that the presence of a Portaloo nearby is purely coincidental?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

What is the story with the landscaping features when the bypass is done and opened? Would I be correct in saying that there would be trees planted on the roadside?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

What is the story with the landscaping features when the bypass is done and opened? Would I be correct in saying that there would be trees planted on the roadside?
    Trees do complete the landscaping nicely.
    But what objection does the drinking class have to them?
    Is there a sadder sight than to see an entire line of young trees broken?
    I see that the Council has had another go in Muing.
    From now on I would suggest that vandalised trees be left as they are as a permanent reminder to those who did the damage and those who know who did it.
    Off topic a bit, but something that gets on my wick in a major way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

ainiseoir wrote: »
    Trees do complete the landscaping nicely.
    But what objection does the drinking class have to them?
    Is there a sadder sight than to see an entire line of young trees broken?
    I see that the Council has had another go in Muing.
    From now on I would suggest that vandalised trees be left as they are as a permanent reminder to those who did the damage and those who know who did it.
    Off topic a bit, but something that gets on my wick in a major way!

Agreed.
    Solution would be to tie the skangers who broke the trees to the remaining tree or post and let passers by pelt them with rotten fruit or eggs. The embarrassment may be a lesson to them and others!

Advertisement