Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

21-4-13

Leith roundabout

View from Leith side looking down towards Tralee from the upper side

IMG_8163_zps86e1f27f.jpg

View towards Tralee from the lower side

IMG_8166_zps5bd95515.jpg

The next few shots are numbered on the ariel map according to direction and location.
    I figured it was a nice day for a walk! Very windy though!:rolleyes:

IMG_8061_zpscd70e76d.png

IMG_8175_zps8504f263.jpg
    Landscaping well under way here.

IMG_8168_zps4c8960fb.jpg
    The road seems enormous walking through here!

IMG_8174_zps34d4a220.jpg
    Armco barrier now installed along here along one side.

IMG_8170_zps8a439487.jpg
    This view gives a good idea of the height that had to be built up for the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

There seems to be quite a bit of activity at the Ballygarry roundabout this am.
    northern exit.
    getting ready to lay some black stuff perhaps?

Interesting and relevant article here
    http://www.ideasforcheapstuff.com/inex/roads/futures/n21.html
    The county of Kerry suffers from poor access. Towns such as Dingle, Caherciveen, Listowel, and even the county town Tralee are far from any major trunk routes. Dual carriageway penetrating the county most of the way to Tralee and coming from both the Limerick and Cork directions would do much to redress this problem. Although schemes are in preparation to cover some of this distance, they will not reach all the way to Tralee. This dual carriageway aims to widen, through online dualling, the section from Tralee to the Castleisland bypass which opened in October 2010.

Update July 2011: The route that the Tralee Bypass is taking, construction of which began this month, parallels a section of the N21 with a new route for the N22. The N22 and N21 will now be on completely separate routes and interfacing the Tralee Ring Road at different points. Since the N21 will no longer carry the traffic loads for both routes, it may now no longer necessary for it to be dualled. The Tralee Bypass will open in July 2013.

Update March 2013: Since it is now abundantly clear that changes to the N22 brought about by the Tralee Bypass are making this proposal obsolete, this scheme has been removed from the Futures map, and is no longer considered necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MacLondon

Released: 24 April 2013
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/roadclosures/title,8375,en.html
    Notice is hereby given that, pursuant to Section 75 of the Roads Act, 1993, and the Temporary Closing of Roads Regulations, 1994, Kerry County Council proposes to close to public traffic the following Local Road:

Local Road L-6547 (Ballyseedy Road), in the townland of Dromavally, for a period of ten (10) days between the dates of Monday 27th May 2013 to Friday 7th of June 2013.The purpose of the road closures is to avoid major interface between construction plant and road users (General Public) and to facilitate the construction of the Ballyseedy Road Bridge on the N22/N69 Tralee Bypass Road Improvement Scheme.

Surely the above is to allow for finishing the road under the bridge?

• Advertisement

Finish surface tar laid on the new road up by the College from Forge Cross today(29th April).
    It's really nice to drive on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

Is there much more to be done on the bypass?

Road markings were being laid this eve in the new Forge cross to Ballybeggan road.
    Seems that road is not far from opening now.

There's quite a bit to do on the main section yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Road markings were being laid this eve in the new Forge cross to Ballybeggan road.
    Seems that road is not far from opening now. .

They were laying new tar down at the new Ballybeggan roundabout this morning, finishing joining it up to the new Forge X road. There was a single lane traffic, stop and go system in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Alot of the work been undertaken at the moment are the passageways for farmers to move cattle etc theres alot of pencil being brought in from a quarry in castleisland for this and theres also alot of fencing being put in place for it.

Theyve also started to back fill in the quarry at the main compound.

Crash barrier fencing etc is also being erected at a steady pace!!!

According to lagans once they get the go ahead to start laying the finished surface it will only take them about three weeks to finish the entire stretch!!! its a much thinner coat only 30mm thick!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 A1 Dan

Perhaps we no longer need a Tralee bypass! (Just trying to keep this off topic post on topic.)
    I have lost Tralee!!! well the boards Tralee thread. Does anyone know what "route " to take to get it back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

As it's now May, is July still looking realistic for an opening or does anyone foresee slippage in the timeline? Is the plan for both the N69 and N22 sections to open simultaneously in their entirety or is staggered opening of stages more likely?

ongarboy wrote: »
    As it's now May, is July still looking realistic for an opening or does anyone foresee slippage in the timeline? Is the plan for both the N69 and N22 sections to open simultaneously in their entirety or is staggered opening of stages more likely?

I would expect some bit of slippage and staggering.
    We are where we are after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

ainiseoir wrote: »
    I would expect some bit of slippage and staggering.
    We are where we are after all.

Its hard to tell Bam are very quick to turn things around!! Parts of the project are ready to roll just waiting for the final tar coat. I'd be optimistic at cars being on it for the end of July!!!

Leith roundabout being finished out this week. Base coat tar laid out onto the N69 Yesterday, traffic diverted through the roundabout some of the day, but back to normal tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

If Kerry County Council or BAM are reading this thread. Can someone explain why there is a heavy stream of water running across the roundabout, where the bypass starts as it turns up towards the I.T.?

Is this acceptable on a new road, if this continues the roundabout will be covered in potholes before it is officially opened!

If Kerry County Council or BAM are reading this thread. Can someone explain why there is a heavy stream of water running across the roundabout, where the bypass starts as it turns up towards the I.T.?

Is this acceptable on a new road, if this continues the roundabout will be covered in potholes before it is officially opened!

My money is on the Port-A-Loo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

My money is on the Port-A-Loo.

Jesus, they must have had some feed of guinness over the weekend if it is!

Finished tar being laid this eve on Leith roundabout.

hey!

Who took the Port A Loo away from the Forge Cross roundabout?
    It had become a feature.
    Does this mean that there is a greater need and greater activity elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

hey!

Who took the Port A Loo away from the Forge Cross roundabout?

The Gardai & BAM are looking into this - it appears they have nothing to go on. :D
    OK I'll get my coat & go quietly. :rolleyes:

Apologies for the lack of updates here lately, i have been busy with other stuff, photos are in the bag, normal service will be resumed shortly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Apologies for the lack of updates here lately, i have been busy with other stuff, photos are in the bag, normal service will be resumed shortly.
    Trooper!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Dont let it happen again! :D

dmeehan wrote: »
    Dont let it happen again! :D

If it wasn't for the photo robbers earlier in the thread it wouldnt be so time consuming processing the photos.

But, hey, the job is nearly done now. :p
    If the thread gets to 100k views ill be happy.

If it wasn't for the photo robbers earlier in the thread it wouldnt be so time consuming processing the photos.

Port a Loo gone missing.
    Now reports of photo robbers.
    A right crime wave sweeping along the bypass.
    Lots of tarmac on the Castlemaine road roundabout yesterday.
    Major activity at the Northern exit of the "Ballygarry" roundabout this am.
    As that seems to be their base and presumably the last place to go, perhaps the day when all the bits come together is not too far off.

Remember the walkthrough that was allowed just before the Shannon Tunnel was opened? Would it be too fanciful to ask for something similar for the Tralee Bypass? I promise to bring my (dog's) Pooper Scooper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

The Bypass is a fantastic feat of Civil Engineering. Well done to all involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Carchaelogist deserves an award from the people of Tralee. His regular updates and photos kept us all informed throughout the process. Well done!
    Sincerely , Del:)

Carchaelogist deserves an award from the people of Tralee. His regular updates and photos kept us all informed throughout the process. Well done!
    Sincerely , Del:)

Amen to that!

Perhaps he would enlarge on "Photo robbers"?

• Advertisement

The Bypass is a fantastic feat of Civil Engineering. Well done to all involved

Ground Control to Delthedriver,

"Eh,.........it's not finished yet.......sorry.

Advertisement