Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

maby just forget the photo robbers. just keep the topic on the bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

ainiseoir wrote: »
    Ground Control to Delthedriver,

"Eh,.........it's not finished yet.......sorry.

Oh ye of little faith!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Oh ye of little faith!:D

The "Lidl" roundabout seems complete but still bypassed.

Likewise the new road where it crosses the old road to Ballyseedy Wood is looking good, just as well they have the concrete blocks there.

My query about the "Photo robbers" was made following the remark of the main thread contributor that they were responsible for the fact that he had been unable to post new images recently and I wondered what the mechanism for that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

My query about the "Photo robbers" was made following the remark of the main thread contributor that they were responsible for the fact that he had been unable to post new images recently and I wondered what the mechanism for that was.

I have the photos, it's just that I'm running an event at the weekend and my evenings are fully taken up with this. That and my computer is literally full up too so I can't upload much more to it!
    I will crack on Sunday night and process them ready for Monday.

If you want to read about the photo issues you can look back through the thread.

I had a spare half hour so i nailed this section together rapidly...! :D
    12-5-13

N69 Leith Roundabout

New and old roads join ansd finished surface laid, but as of 16-5-13 its not opened yet.

Looking towards Tralee from the Leith side
    IMG_7493_zps2fb77680.jpg

Looking back up towards Leith
    IMG_7496_zpsc815a145.jpg

Looking down the bypass entrance from the centre of the new Roundabout.
    IMG_7498_zps774bab41.jpg

Looking towards Tralee from the other side of the Roundabout
    IMG_7499_zpse9a97c48.jpg

And view back up towards Leith where the new road joins the old.
    IMG_7500_zps54a8bfd8.jpg

• Advertisement

12-5-13

Various sections

New Junction above the college looking towards Tralee
    IMG_8383_zps889a2dba.jpg

Ballybeggan roundabout looking up the new road towards the college
    IMG_8385_zps2ed95112.jpg

Skehanagh roundabout looking out from Tralee
    IMG_8386_zps02ccff5f.jpg

And looking in towards Tralee from the other side of the roundabout
    IMG_8387_zps2540257b.jpg

Filling in of the Quarry out near the Ballygarry roundabout continues apace this week. The stone crushing machines etc have been moved out and trucks are drawing in stone for underneath of the road surface.
    Also installation of the Armco is continuing along the road, along with grading of the banks in the various cuts along the route. Lots of activity underneath the Knockwaddra flyover tonight around 7pm!

22-5-13

Ballygarry roundabout.

Single lane traffic here this week as the surface of the roundabout has been planed and is being resurfaced. Not sure why it was being planed, i thought that the surface on that roundabout was the finished surface. Possibly something to do with the amount of construction traffic that has travelled over it and the fact the roadcleaner hasnt stopped cleaning it for months on end!

Roadplaner at work
    IMG_7646_zpsc43672a3.jpg

23-5-13

Knockwaddra overbridge

Landscaping is being done along this stretch today, and on the top of the bank on the left a roadway for acess to fields has been constructed.
    Pic taken at about 21.00hrs, gotta love that long stretch in the evening!

View North
    IMG_7709_zps7a77613d.jpg

And south
    IMG_7710_zps8360c6ef.jpg
    Note the return of the wandering portaloo!:D

23-5-13

New Ballinorig junction looking towards the new flyover which is just out of sight to the right. Finish tar laid and road markings are painted.

IMG_7642_zpsabde320e.jpg

Well spotted!

I drove up past Leith the other day and it will be a neat bit of engineering .Observable only to the 69ers.
    "Lidl" roundabout's surface seems complete,
    Certainly all the bits are coming together rapidly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Observable only to the 69ers.
    Whats a "69er" or dare I ask :eek:

dmeehan wrote: »
    Whats a "69er" or dare I ask :eek:

A 69er is when a man/woman and a woman/man lie down on top of each other so that they are both facing opposite directions, and/or those of us who travel on the N69..
    Its very easy to mix up the two..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

A 69er is when a man/woman and a woman/man lie down on top of each other so that they are both facing opposite directions, and/or those of us who travel on the N69..
    Its very easy to mix up the two..

Also not to be mixed up with a 99er that you lick in the summer!

Lots of activity underneath the Knockwaddra overbridge this eve, dumper trucks flying around, i counted 5 at one stage!

Is there a definate opening date yet i wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Also not to be mixed up with a 99er that you lick in the summer!
    Well if you mix them up, im not going to offer to buy you a cone so:P

30-5-13
    Knockwaddra overpass north.
    Work continues with the construction of the cycle path on the left hand side of this shot.
    IMG_7827_zpsf40e7c18.jpg

31-5-13
    IMG_7844_zps2d8e0063.jpg

5-6-13
    New Killarney road intersection
    Work almost complete here now with traffic still diverted to the old road for now.
    Views are coming in from Killarney side.
    IMG_7991_zpsf8835963.jpg

IMG_7994_zpsc78638ff.jpg

Ballygarry roundabout looking north towards the quarry.
    This is now being filled in with stone being trucked from elsewhere.

IMG_7995_zpseac47414.jpg

Knockwaddra overpass

View north
    Work on the cycle pass continuing and a road scraper cleaning the road.
    IMG_7999_zpsf8232983.jpg

Close up of the scraper.
    IMG_8001_zpsda2f5351.jpg

View south
    The portaloo has ran across the road...:P
    Wooden fencing is being installed on the left hand side of the road.
    IMG_7997_zpsec674721.jpg

Ballinorig overbridge opens on the 6th of June, tomorrow, according to the programmable roadsign thats parked along the road where the bypass passes over it.

Have they the portaloo tied to the back of a van?

Would that drivers job be described as taking the p**s?

This was meant to open on the 6-6-13 but was held over for a day until the 7-6-13.
    The weather has been excellent in the last few days, hardly a cloud to be seen.

6-6-13 prior to opening.
    View from the eastern side of the overpass towards Tralee.
    IMG_8008_zps33e1098e.jpg

View looking in from Clash industrial estate(just above Heaton buckleys store) towards the new bridge and roundabout.
    IMG_8011_zpsd19d2e40.jpg

Same view slightly further to the right showing the very neat grading work that has been done.
    IMG_8012_zps8a68304e.jpg
    7-6-13
    New roundabout open, just for Ballinorig traffic, the Clash junction or the exit from the bypass is still closed.

View looking up from the new sliproad on the Tralee side of the bridge(pic taken today)
    IMG_8048_zps19c1bc45.jpg

View looking east from new sliproad.
    IMG_8034_zpsd7d88c6f.jpg

View looking back towards Ballinorig from the roundabout.
    IMG_8033_zpsfc009b94.jpg

View North from the centre of the bridge, the exit from the northern side of the bypass can be clearly seen now.IMG_8028_zpsa4b9e088.jpg

And view south looking towards the tar plant, the old Ballinorig road is now cut off here where the new road crosses.
    IMG_8027_zpse7660031.jpg

i can't wait to do my first drive on this road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

Almost complete now. I am so looking forward to driving on it when complete.

• Advertisement

10-6-13

And down goes the finish surface...under the Knockwaddra overpass at least anyway.

North..
    IMG_8106_zpsbec90e89.jpg

South

Hamm road roller at work.
    IMG_8107_zps91b76780.jpg

Any idea how many tons of earth and gravel they have moved?

11-6-13

All four runs are now laid here, steam was still rising off it in the rain this evening when i passed, hard to see it in the pics though.

North

IMG_8167_zpsd0e0b4a9.jpg

South
    IMG_8166_zps5f946ea4.jpg

Quite a lot of activity at the ?Northern exit this am. i suspect that this will be the last piece of the puzzle as it seems to be where most of their heavy gear is stored.
    Going awake for a fortnight next week, I wonder if (like the Castleisland bypass) it will be up and going when i return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Wow, some real progress in those last pictures there - looks like we could all be using it in time for the August bank holiday weekend then?

Quite a lot of activity at the ?Northern exit this am. i suspect that this will be the last piece of the puzzle as it seems to be where most of their heavy gear is stored.
    Going awake for a fortnight next week, I wonder if (like the Castleisland bypass) it will be up and going when i return.

Well, most of it is done really, there are no heavy works left as such, its all fine detail from here on in..

The last road section pending is the road inside what was the quarry at Ballygarry, which seems to be coming along pretty quickly from what i can see from the road. Its not a particularly long section, only running from the tar/concrete plant to the roundabout at Ballygarry.

The finish tarring continues, the cycle lane will have to be tarred, and all the Armco barriers installed alongside that.(Some have already been done on the other side of the road). Centre barriers will be installed after all the tar is installed, post and rope i presume?
    Plus all the roadmarkings are to be done on the main stretches.

Lots of landscaping to do, but im sure that will be finished out after the road is opened. The road past the college is being worked on at the moment, a really neat job is being done on it too.

Im sure there will be 'Road art' installations also, as far as i know part of the budget/cost of a road project has to be spent on such things.

August bank holiday weekend is definatly possible, id say even a few weeks before hand.

As has been said, its going to be great to finally drive it after this two year thread following its progress. Ill have to find something else to occupy my time then i guess!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

Ill have to find something else to occupy my time then i guess!:(

Use your camera as a speedcam :)

13-6-13

Its gone from being weeks to days to hours to see changes on the road now!

I passed up the bridge at 6pm to see the road was pre marked out for the lane lines as below...

North
    IMG_8178_zpsf41f0846.jpg

South
    IMG_8179_zpsde354fc0.jpg

...to pass down again at 8pm to see that the road marking machines had been very busy in the intervening two hours!:eek:
    Also note that the cycle path has been tarred.

North
    IMG_8180_zpsc62c303a.jpg

South
    IMG_8181_zps46b90d6a.jpg

Are there "Wheely" marks on the road already?
    2nd last picture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

Those are off some of the machinery, I'd imagine.

Advertisement