Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

ainiseoir wrote: »
    Are there "Wheely" marks on the road already?
    2nd last picture?
    Nope, its machinery as mentioned, but you can be certain and sure that there will be many rings laid down on the road shortly after it opens.

17-6-13

Centrelines painted.
    IMG_8306_zps4d8cc814.jpg

Long range view of the bridge looking down towards Ballybeggan.
    IMG_8309_zps4e39191b.jpg

180deg Panorama of the road at Knockwaddra.
    IMG_8310_zpsf8063e18.jpg

Underbridge detail.
    IMG_8312_zpsd1e79065.png

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Fantastic!
    Still looks like the dog's dinner at the Ballygarry roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

I see that they are putting up the posts for the roadsigns at some of the roundabouts now. The signs are yet to be attached though.

I see that they are putting up the posts for the roadsigns at some of the roundabouts now. The signs are yet to be attached though.

Yep, some on the Leith roundabout are now done, i took a short walk back that way earlier. Roadmarkings are completed to here too.

CBM looks to be laid in the Quarry section at Ballygarry, wont be long before thats sorted aswell.

Streetlight poles are installed at the new junction above the college, no heads on them yet though.

• Advertisement

23-6-13

Ballyseedy overpass.

Road surface finished underneath here now.
    IMG_8381_zps89bc5702.jpg

Ballygarry roundabout/Quarry looking north.

CBM laid here now, the actual cut into the rock is very wide compared to the width of the road.
    IMG_8443_zpsb3e2fe7a.jpg

Balinorig bridge

Landscaping continuing here, no final surface laid yet.

North view, looking to the exit road to roundabout.
    IMG_8446_zps2c19a75c.jpg

North view looking up towards Ballybeggan
    IMG_8445_zps1cfa662e.jpg

South
    IMG_8447_zps62a9b1ab.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Radio5

Sorry if its been answered already, but where will the road , off the Clashlehane Roundabout, up by the new Rocky Mountain restaurant go?

Radio5 wrote: »
    Sorry if its been answered already, but where will the road , off the Clashlehane Roundabout, up by the new Rocky Mountain restaurant go?

Just into the Restaraunt itself at the moment. I presume thats the road you mean?

Not sure if the finish tar surface or more CBM was being laid in the quarry this afternoon, the tar laying machine was in use as i passed. I suspect the first option though.

Heads are now up on the streetlights up by the college entrance at the new junction, and are lighting i suspect too as the temporary generator lighting was folded down as i passed earlier.

Landscaping is continuing at the Leith roundabout, and looking good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MacLondon

Released: 25 June 2013
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/roadclosures/title,8568,en.html
    Road Surfacing Works will take place on the N70 Castlemaine Road in Tralee (near Lidl) from the Castlemorris Roundabout to Skehanagh Cross from Wednesday 26th June to Friday 28th June 2013.

MacLondon wrote: »
    Released: 25 June 2013
    Road Surfacing Works will take place on the N70 Castlemaine Road in Tralee (near Lidl) from the Castlemorris Roundabout to Skehanagh Cross from Wednesday 26th June to Friday 28th June 2013.
    [/QUOTE]

This is a Kerry County Council job to tie in with the bypass, basically tyding up the rubbish road past Lidl and Gallys which looked half finished in places.

• Advertisement

26/6/13

As it was a really nice evening, myself and my brother dragged out the bikes and cycled the Northern side from Leith to Ballinorig overbridge and back again. Its a popular road already for walkers and cyclists, we passed quite a few on the way. Armco is being installed still, and the sockets in the road to take the post and rope centre barriers are mostly, if not all inserted on the Ballybeggan to Leith section. Id love to see the machine that installs those!

Anyhow..heres the pics..

Looking south along the raised section below the cut at Leith
    IMG_8504_zpsdf66a158.jpg

View down towards the cut at Knockwaddra.
    IMG_8505_zpsccc6e330.jpg

View down towards the roundabout at Ballybeggan.
    IMG_8509_zpsf595203d.jpg

Roadsignage up looking north before Ballybeggan roundabout.
    IMG_8516_zpsf167d3e9.jpg

View North under Knockwaddra overbridge with Armco partially in place, this seems to be much stronger that the other stuff, i assume to stop anything hitting the bridge pillars which would lead to serious expense to repair.
    IMG_8519_zps82b043b1.jpg

Armco end detail.
    IMG_8522_zpsf167d15d.jpg

More signage up at Leith looking towards Listowel.
    IMG_8523_zps31d5272c.jpg

One thing is for sure, it will made a great loop around for anyone into cycling and walking when it is all done.

I wonder is there a definate opening date set yet?

I'm curious about the cycling/walking path at Ballinorig overbridge. Where the slip road comes off the bypass, will there be a pedestrian crossing of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Radio5

Just into the Restaraunt itself at the moment. I presume thats the road you mean?

Not sure if the finish tar surface or more CBM was being laid in the quarry this afternoon, the tar laying machine was in use as i passed. I suspect the first option though.

Heads are now up on the streetlights up by the college entrance at the new junction, and are lighting i suspect too as the temporary generator lighting was folded down as i passed earlier.

Landscaping is continuing at the Leith roundabout, and looking good too.

Thanks , Yes thats the road I mean. I wonder are there plans for it to go further or will it be a cul de sac?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Thanks , Yes thats the road I mean. I wonder are there plans for it to go further or will it be a cul de sac?

I think at one stage there was permission for a 5/6 storey office block to be built along there (remember seeing the flashy online brochures with artist impressions etc) but it stalled when the recession hit. I'm not sure how much spare land there is behind it to extend the road significantly as you would hit the Ballinorig road pretty quickly. It would make a handy link road however.

Great photo updates - the new signage pointing to the Technology Park and ITT is impressive and will really make them more accessible and visible for future business potential (which I believe was one of the main factors in granting the go ahead of the bypass in the first place).

A cul de sac im sure as there is no need, and no room for a through road into anywhere.

Finish tar is being laid North of the Ballinorig overbridge today. No time to stop for a photo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Open date supposed to be two weeks from today!!! Hell or high water it has to open or face penalties!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Is there a map available of the route the new road is taking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Is there a map available of the route the new road is taking ?
    Yep, it's on OpenStreetMap now. Zoom in to see it.

Would I be right in thinking that the road from Leith to Austin Stack Park via Oakpark will no longer be considered part of the N69 once the bypass opens?

Also, a question about the first part of the new road from the roundabout on the Castlemaine road to the next roundabout south of Manor, where the N69 and N22 meet. I seem to remember reading that this short stretch of road was not strictly part of the bypass but more a slip road off it to connect with the N70. So, will this stretch of road be part of the N69 or the N22, or neither?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

serfboard wrote: »
    Yep, it's on OpenStreetMap now. Zoom in to see it.

Never heard of that site before, it's excellent, thanks.

• Advertisement

Would I be right in thinking that the road from Leith to Austin Stack Park via Oakpark will no longer be considered part of the N69 once the bypass opens?
    The road from the new Leith roundabout will be redesignated/downgraded as the R878, presumably the bypass from Leith to Ballygarry at least will be the N69 then?
    Also, a question about the first part of the new road from the roundabout on the Castlemaine road to the next roundabout south of Manor, where the N69 and N22 meet. I seem to remember reading that this short stretch of road was not strictly part of the bypass but more a slip road off it to connect with the N70. So, will this stretch of road be part of the N69 or the N22, or neither?

Not sure on this one, will the N69 continue all the way down to the Castlemaine road roundabout, or to the new roundabout at the end of the Killarney road with the section from there to the Castlemaine road becoming the N22? Either way it will have to be designated as an N road.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The bypass from Leith to Ballygarry will be the N69, from Ballygarry to Camp (Killarney Road) the N21 and from Camp to Caherweesheen the N70.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Would it not make more sense to just have the whole lot of it as far as the N70 roundabout designated the N69, with the N22 (Killarney/Cork road) finishing at the new roundabout south of Manor West. The N21 continues into town as it does now.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It's in line with NRA policy of detrunking N roads within urban rings, as has recently been implemented on the road system within the M50 in Dublin. Also, it wouldn't be acceptable for a national primary (N21, N22) to terminate on a national secondary (N69).

• Registered Users Posts: 24 conjollins

Took my first walk on the new road last night - started from the Listowel side. Unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

The first pictures that were taken on page 1 have gone, will they be available to see as we can compare old with completed .

I have to say carcheaologist has done a fantastic job with the pictures on this thread

Does anybody know how far it is from the new Leith roundabout to the new Ballybeggan roundabout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

The first pictures that were taken on page 1 have gone, will they be available to see as we can compare old with completed .

I have to say carcheaologist has done a fantastic job with the pictures on this thread

Agree totally. Carchaeologist has done an amazing job following this project from start to finish. Well done!:)

Agree totally. Carchaeologist has done an amazing job following this project from start to finish. Well done!:)

Great job indeed - the pictures have been brilliant Carchaeologist - exciting to take a 1st walk on the road yesterday evening! Great to see it almost there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Any more clarity on an opening date? I believe 2 weeks time was mentioned - is this still the case?

Advertisement