Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The first pictures that were taken on page 1 have gone, will they be available to see as we can compare old with completed .

I have to say carcheaologist has done a fantastic job with the pictures on this thread

I dont know why they dont appear, they should, i dont see them either. I never removed them, not intentionally anyway.
    Thanks for the kind words, its been fun!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I dont know why they dont appear, they should, i dont see them either. I never removed them, not intentionally anyway.
    Thanks for the kind words, its been fun!

Have you been invited to the opening?

They must almost know you by now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

ongarboy wrote: »
    Any more clarity on an opening date? I believe 2 weeks time was mentioned - is this still the case?

I suppose we won't know till we see every politician in Kerry in the Kerry's eye taking credit for building it!

Have you been invited to the opening?

They must almost know you by now!

Nope, though i have met a few involved in the building. Im just a blogger, taking a few photos here and there, though i do wonder how many hours iv spent at this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Ya without doubt fair play to carchaeologist some fantastic updates and pictures, would be interested in seeing some of those first pictures back. When the road eventually does open it'll be great to look at some before and after set ups!!!

Surely Liam Beausang and Pat Dillane from Bam will send an invite for the opening???? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ashill5

Well if anybody deserves an invite, carchaeologist does!

Thanks for all the great pictures and info during project.

I would even propose that a bridge or roundabout be named after you.

Ashill5 wrote: »
    Well if anybody deserves an invite, carchaeologist does!

Thanks for all the great pictures and info during project.

I would even propose that a bridge or roundabout be named after you.

Carchaeologists corner? Bloggers bridge? :P

It was no bother with the pictures, for every one posted there was at least one other that I didn't, I took loadsa them!. When everything is open im going to do a few special posts of before and after shots of the various parts of the project.
    Just glad that so many of ye took an interest in what I was posting. And the contributions from the others that posted here was great also.
    I was hoping to hit the 100K view mark before the road opens but I doubt that it will make that milestone in time given that the word on the street is that the road will open Monday week.

Carchaeologists corner? Bloggers bridge? :P

When everything is open im going to do a few special posts of before and after shots of the various parts of the project.
    Just glad that so many of ye took an interest in what I was posting. And the contributions from the others that posted here was great also.

Looking forward to that!

Im gonna try and do something about the front page too, its annoying that the pics have vanished. Cant make it any worse than it is!

The #1 post is now repaired and has all of its photos back in glorious technicolour!:P
    Even im taken aback at the difference in the landscape between then and now!

• Advertisement

Heres a shot from last week of the Ballybeggan roundabout looking north that I didn't include for some reason last week, must have slipped the net.
    IMG_8517_zps5f644bd6.jpg
    No harm to stick a picture in here to brighten the page up anyway, too much chat going on, Lol!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Apologies if this has come up before but was there really a need for that southern road [marked yellow]. I might be missing something but the N21 out to the Castleisland/Killarney Road roundabout is only recently developed and up to par with the new roads. The only bit that is bad is the mile or so after the roundabout on the Killarney road [marked blue] surely it would have made a lot more sense just to sort that small section no ?

2jFSFGb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Perhaps the traffic count on the shared N21 was too high when combining N22 and N21 merging traffic with the number of busy junctions on that improved stretch of road. There is a significant potential hazard for right turning motorists at either the Ballyseedy Garden Centre, Ballyseedy Castle and Ballygarry Hotel. I have found it difficult to get opportunity for right turns at any of those junctions on different occasions due to the sheer volume of cars travelling the main road in both directions.

The rerouting of N22 traffic away from the N21 will lessen the hazard potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

ongarboy wrote: »
    Perhaps the traffic count on the shared N21 was too high when combining N22 and N21 merging traffic with the number of busy junctions on that improved stretch of road. There is a significant potential hazard for right turning motorists at either the Ballyseedy Garden Centre, Ballyseedy Castle and Ballygarry Hotel.

True - I go to Ballyseedy Garden Centre a fair bit and on busy days it's safer to go left to the Killarney roundabout and do a u-turn back to Tralee.
    The point about the N22 being continued as a separate route to the bypass -- was this not a compromise (many years ago) to avoid dual-carriageway through Ballyseedy woods etc? or did I just dream that one up :) ?
    On a selfish note it would have been great if the bypass went all the way to the N86 (Dingle) but I'll settle for being able to skip Manor West at least.

Also want to add my thanks to all who have contributed and kept us up to date on the road. Roll on the pics of the opening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

kingdumb wrote: »
    Apologies if this has come up before but was there really a need for that southern road [marked yellow]. I might be missing something but the N21 out to the Castleisland/Killarney Road roundabout is only recently developed and up to par with the new roads. The only bit that is bad is the mile or so after the roundabout on the Killarney road [marked blue] surely it would have made a lot more sense just to sort that small section no ?

I think it's more to do with speeding things up for traffic that's coming from the killarney side and heading towards Dingle/Castlegregory otherwise you'd still have the same volume of traffic hitting the new roundabout at ballygary. This should take some of the pressure off that roundabout - that's my reading of it anyway.

2jFSFGb.png

The reason is to connect all the National roads around the town into the one ring road, it will help with traffic dispersion, ie where the N21 currently enters the town past Ballycarthy its carrying both the Limerick and Cork Traffic, when the bypass opens it will be carrying pretty much exclusively just the Limerick traffic therefore making the road much quieter.
    Traffic in the Rathass/ Killerisk areas should be hugely reduced when the bypass is fully up to speed and people figure out all of the new routes available.

It should be pointed out, even though it has been already said in previous posts that the part of the road that is marked in blue on Kingdumbs map will revert to a Local road once the Bypass is open, with a T junction into the new road near the Flemby junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

It should be pointed out, even though it has been already said in previous posts that the part of the road that is marked in blue on Kingdumbs map will revert to a Local road once the Bypass is open, with a T junction into the new road near the Flemby junction.

Will the roundabout at Ballycarty (John Cronin roundabout?) remain or be removed?

Didn't realise that it would just be a t-junction. I wonder which way will be faster if you're coming from Killarney and heading for Listowel direction - the yellow or the blue road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Didn't realise that it would just be a t-junction. I wonder which way will be faster if you're coming from Killarney and heading for Listowel direction - the yellow or the blue road?

The yellow road obviously :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dmeehan wrote: »
    The yellow road obviously :rolleyes:

Going by the blue road is a shorter distance so no, not obvious at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

Adro947 wrote: »
    Will the roundabout at Ballycarty (John Cronin roundabout?) remain or be removed?

I think it makes sense to remove it, since the demand on the adjoining section of N22 will be much reduced when the new road opens. Don't think that it's part of this contract through.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 A1 Dan

The "yellow" new road is 6.4 km approx. from Ballygarry roundabout to what will be the T junction on the Killarney road. The " blue" existing route is 4.2 km. Therefore in my opinion the blue route wins.
    The only delay northbound would be stopping to make a right turn at the T junction, but you would then have priority,over Killarney traffic, at the Ballygarry roundabout.

Does anyone know anything about the slip road at the new ballinoring over pass, the one that will bring traffic down by Boyles Ind Est at the side of the Racecourse.

I over heard in Heiton Buckleys during the week that they were trying to make the road outside one way???

In other words to get to the industrial est you would have to access via ballinorig roundabout or from the main ballygarry roundabout. You wont be allowed to turn up from the clash road?????

Going by the blue road is a shorter distance so no, not obvious at all.

better road though, higher speed limit so I think the "yellow route" wins

A1 Dan wrote: »
    The "yellow" new road is 6.4 km approx. from Ballygarry roundabout to what will be the T junction on the Killarney road. The " blue" existing route is 4.2 km. Therefore in my opinion the blue route wins.
    The only delay northbound would be stopping to make a right turn at the T junction, but you would then have priority,over Killarney traffic, at the Ballygarry roundabout.

you have to stop to turn right off the mainline N22 where the new road stops. This will then be an "L" road with a speed limit of 80km/h. You will then have to stop to turn left at the existing roundabout with the junction at the N21. Next up is traffic calming at Ballyseedy.

But I dont mind, if you guys wanna go via the "old" road that's fine, less traffic for me to encounter on the new road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The shortest distance isn't the only way of deciding which road to use.
    The new road will be wider, safer and have a higher speed limit.

I think people in this country have a tendency to always use the shortest route because in the old days every road was equally shockingly bad. Nowadays we have a hierarchy of roads of various qualities and a new road might be a longer distance but offer a higher drive quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Thanks for all the responses. While I understand that it might have been idea to have this road to alleviate traffic flow, but surely here would have been higher priorities within the project ?

For example a road that length [ yellow] could have conneced the C'maine road to the Dingle road allowing people to bypass Tralee and B'ville

I mean when you look at the project over all, would it no have been better to have Killarney and C'island trafic share a good/new road for a while rather than have Dingle Traffic go from a wide bypass like this straight on to a residential backroad that is Spring Water Lane/Kearneys Lane ?

For example a road that length [ yellow] could have conneced the C'maine road to the Dingle road allowing people to bypass Tralee and B'ville

I'd imagine that would be a pretty big project bringing a road of that scale through Ballyard. Some fairly undulating terrain up there compared to where the bypass is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'd imagine that would be a pretty big project bringing a road of that scale through Ballyard. Some fairly undulating terrain up there compared to where the bypass is.

I agree. There's lots of built up residential area and hilly terrain through Ballyard which would have massively increased the cost of the project.

One concern I have is that the already extremely busy Ballymullen roundabout just up from Lidl is going to be even busier as all Cork/Killarney/South Kerry traffic now needs to use that if they want to go into Tralee town centre. I imagine they won't drive all the way to the new Ballygarry roundabout to access the town centre.

Advertisement