Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

away the at minute, is by-pass open now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

After commenting on this some months ago I have stayed silent on this since but reluctantly feel its time to bring it up again.
    Any of the various Facebook pages on the bypass have pictures that have been stolen from here by the another poster on here. Why there are so many of them half finished I have no idea.
    They are nothing to do with me even though I have been asked about my 'Facebook bypass page' by a few people.

This was the tipping point.

I have no Facebook page(s) on the Tralee bypass.

I haven't opened any other page or thread apart from this one on the subject, there was no need, everything that I have taken has been posted here and only posted here.
    Besides all that, it's blatantly obvious that the pictures on the FB page have been taken from here due to the watermarking and dates. Hardly needs explaining that!

Despite repeated requests that he stop stealing everything that's been posted on here he has continued to do so.
    He doesn't work for BAM, even though he says he does on the page(s)

Anyway, i digress, I'm just making the point that any picture of mine that you see anywhere else other than on here has been plagiarized.
    Thank you.

I can remember you commenting on it previously, BTW Thanks for uploading those photo's which have made this a very good thread.

Yea that poster is priceless, I looked up those pages and found his one, Remember the time he said he flew for RyanAir, Need I say anymore..

I have one issue with the southern end of the By-pass, It should really have continued to the west linking to the N86, Now I'm personally not familiar with Tralee or its traffic, But the southern end end right in front of an estate with other housing surrounding it so its not very future proofed if eventually it needs to be extended to complete a full ring around Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

quote="xxyyzz;85904597"]Took a blast down it this evening from Leith to the killorglin road. Got some great speed. The surface is fantastic, the skaters would love it. I'm less than impressed with the cycle lane though, it looks a bit bumpy. It might be okay for climbing in the leith direction but I wouldn't fancy going at it at speed. All in all, it's a hell of a job they did.[/quote]

Tis that! It's great to cycle the closed road now as its very wide and smooth.
    But the cycle path is very narrow comparatively and when it is busy with walkers and other cyclists it won't be as much fun. Saying that though, the paths on both sides on the road up to the college from Ballybeggan roundabout are big enough to drive on!

It's amazing with all the health and safety brigade that post and rope is allowed in the centre of the dual carriage way. It's no issue for cars and trucks as they will just run along it, albeit ripped to shreds, but a motorcyclist hitting it would be in a fair mess no matter what way he hit it.
    I know cost is the main factor in these things, but how much more expensive would the concrete wall a la the M7 be in comparison?

I see the reflectors are fitted on every couple of poles on the post and rope now.

@knob longman
    The bypass was to link all the National roads around the town, which it does, N69/N21/N22/N70. It terminates or begins depending on your point of view at the new roundabout on the N70, just above Lidl, which also feeds onto the N86 out towards the Dingle side. I know it seems tight there, but traffic flow around the town will be much better when all is up and running.
    There are more roads planned far away down the pipeline for a full Tralee ring road, of which the 'Bracker o Reagan(fat mile)' is part of, this has been discussed elsewhere on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Well, if the official start date of the Festival is Aug 14th, this means some of you will have taken your first car spin of the bypass in the next 5 days as I assume it's guaranteed to be open for the festival. Exciting times ahead but alas I'll have to wait til end of month til I'm down again to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Lads ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

I have cycled the road a few times to but not the path, must try that, its not 'fat mile' bumpy I take it ?

I can't see many cyclists using it save for kids/families.

Tis that! It's great to cycle the closed road now as its very wide and smooth.
    But the cycle path is very narrow comparatively and when it is busy with walkers and other cyclists it won't be as much fun. Saying that though, the paths on both sides on the road up to the college from Ballybeggan roundabout are big enough to drive on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

kingdumb wrote: »
    I have cycled the road a few times to but not the path, must try that, its not 'fat mile' bumpy I take it ?

I can't see many cyclists using it save for kids/families.

No, it's surfaced with tarmac but definitely not as smooth as the road itself. I think cyclists will stick to the road alright, I know I will anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dmire

Travelling downhill on that surface, a cyclist could easily be travelling at 40-50kmh (faster in alot of cases), it would be safer for all, especially the walkers if they are using the road rather than the cycle path. Obviously kids on bikes and slower moving cyclists would be better off on the cycle path

dmire wrote: »
    Travelling downhill on that surface, a cyclist could easily be travelling at 40-50kmh (faster in alot of cases), it would be safer for all, especially the walkers if they are using the road rather than the cycle path. Obviously kids on bikes and slower moving cyclists would be better off on the cycle path
    48 but there was a headwind :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Took a blast down it this evening from Leith to the killorglin road. Got some great speed. The surface is fantastic, the skaters would love it. I'm less than impressed with the cycle lane though, it looks a bit bumpy. It might be okay for climbing in the leith direction but I wouldn't fancy going at it at speed. All in all, it's a hell of a job they did.

At 67 million it would need to be (a good job).
    When is the damn thing opening anyway?
    Are they waiting for a quorum of politicians to come back from some Costa or other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

Okay folks, let's stop all this nonsense and get back to the real important matter at hand which, if my memory serves me correctly, is the completion of the Tralee bypass.
    Now, is there any indication as to whether the bypass would be open next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I think cyclists will stick to the road alright, I know I will anyway

I think it is illegal (not that it would ever be enforced:rolleyes:) for cyclists to cycle on a road when there is a cycle path provided. Also there were posts on boards about cyclists on the Castleisland bypass and how dangerous it can be due to cars having to suddenly decelerate approaching slower moving cyclists if they cant overtake them (if there was another car in the overtaking lane already)

For everyones safety I would recommend that cyclists use the cycle path as there is no hard shoulder on the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

dmeehan wrote: »
    I think it is illegal (not that it would ever be enforced:rolleyes:) for cyclists to cycle on a road when there is a cycle path provided. Also there were posts on boards about cyclists on the Castleisland bypass and how dangerous it can be due to cars having to suddenly decelerate approaching slower moving cyclists if they cant overtake them (if there was another car in the overtaking lane already)

For everyones safety I would recommend that cyclists use the cycle path as there is no hard shoulder on the road.

Have you come across the lady that jogs on a stretch of that bypass in castleisland, with a buggy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

dmeehan wrote: »

Totally agree however I fear this certainly won't be the case. I have a feeling every cyclist in the town and county will be out in force as soon as it opens. Which will no doubt cause very dangerous situations.

Cycling/Walking paths are designed for the normal joe soap cycling to work or the family out for a spin.

The type of cycling that's ever so popular at the moment is a sport so to speak. Cyclists are reaching high speeds down hill with nothing only a helmet protecting them. Dual carriageways travelling alongside cars and trucks travelling at 100KPH are not the places for these cyclists. Cycling clubs should be investing in dedicated tracks or other means to enjoy there sport safely.

I find it very unfair on drivers sometimes because regardless of fault the finger of blame almost always points at the drivers which can be frustrating.

Just passed a part of the tar plant being towed through castle island, it looked ever so slightly ridiculous on its side on wheels.

The old N69 road out towards Leith is being covered over these last few days as they landscape that section.
    There has been no announcement on any opening date so far, which doesn't bode well for this weeks opening...

From what I understand, only officially designated motorways prohibit cyclists from using the road lanes so I guess there is nothing to stop the Middle Aged Men In Lycra (aka MAMIL brigade) from using the new dual carriageway (bike lane or not). Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable cycling on the motor lanes while cars whizz at more than 100kph (as that is what they'll do on such a good road) inches from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 MacLondon

There has been no announcement on any opening date so far, which doesn't bode well for this weeks opening...
    I suspect they will just announce the opening the day beforehard, or maybe even some morning they'll announce that it will open at 1pm that afternoon.

MacLondon wrote: »
    I suspect they will just announce the opening the day beforehard, or maybe even some morning they'll announce that it will open at 1pm that afternoon.

And all the boy racers will be rejoicing and putting fresh cheap remoulds on their rice burners....

ongarboy wrote: »
    From what I understand, only officially designated motorways prohibit cyclists from using the road lanes so I guess there is nothing to stop the Middle Aged Men In Lycra (aka MAMIL brigade) from using the new dual carriageway (bike lane or not). Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable cycling on the motor lanes while cars whizz at more than 100kph (as that is what they'll do on such a good road) inches from me.

Ya I'm thinking along the sames lines as you however I'm sure I read before in RSA rules of the road that if a cycle track or lane is provided it MUST be used.

I drive a couple of days a week sales rep'ing and there is nothing more frustrating than two and three abreast cycling.... It's extremely dangerous and does my head in!!!

I'm hoping but not very optimistic that the bypass will be free of this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MacLondon

There's an article about the "ending of the regulation requiring mandatory use of cycle tracks by cyclists" last year at http://www.cyclist.ie/2012/10/cyclists-welcome-changes-to-traffic-regulations/

MacLondon wrote: »
    There's an article about the "ending of the regulation requiring mandatory use of cycle tracks by cyclists" last year at http://www.cyclist.ie/2012/10/cyclists-welcome-changes-to-traffic-regulations/

Interesting read!!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

traleespud wrote: »
    Ya I'm thinking along the sames lines as you however I'm sure I read before in RSA rules of the road that if a cycle track or lane is provided it MUST be used.

I drive a couple of days a week sales rep'ing and there is nothing more frustrating than two and three abreast cycling.... It's extremely dangerous and does my head in!!!

I'm hoping but not very optimistic that the bypass will be free of this!!!!

That indeed was the case for a while but has since been repealed so there is currently no legal compulsion on cyclists to use cycle lanes where they are provided.

In theory it would be a good thing if all cyclists used cycle lanes segregating them from motorised traffic but in the case of paths such as those provided on the Castleisland and Tralee bypasses, that's not possible as these paths are quite simply wholly inadequate.

In particular, their width is unacceptably narrow for a bidirectional path that must also cater for pedestrians. Therefore I would recommend that all cyclists, except children and those wishing to cycle at a sedate pace stick to the road. And considering its a 2+2, cyclists on it won't have any appreciable effect on traffic flow as long as both motorists and cyclists use it as they should - with due respect and consideration for all other road users.

If the paths on the Forge Cross to Ballybeggan road could also have been provided on the bypass itself, and with segregated or priority crossings at all junctions, then it would be another story but unfortunately that's not possible within the current design framework for 2+2 roads.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

As regards the Forth Secret of Fatima (AKA the opening date!), BAM had hoped to have it open Friday the 2nd but a number of continuing niggling issues on the snag list and a few other bits and pieces have dragged things out a bit. Not least of which was a section of wearing course that was damaged in a diesel spill and had to be relaid! Anyway, fingers crossed for Monday or Tuesday of next week..! :D

Quackster wrote: »
    As regards the Forth Secret of Fatima (AKA the opening date!), BAM had hoped to have it open Friday the 2nd but a number of continuing niggling issues on the snag list and a few other bits and pieces have dragged things out a bit. Not least of which was a section of wearing course that was damaged in a diesel spill and had to be relaid! Anyway, fingers crossed for Monday or Tuesday of next week..! :D

The fact that Leo Varadkar is Minister for Transport and Tourism could mean he'll be down for the PR exposure for both the Festival (Tourism) and the new bypass (Transport) on the Wednesday - official Rose launch date??

I think with the recent Belturbet bypass opening, people only found out on the day it opened so I'm guessing likewise here.

Quackster wrote: »
    Not least of which was a section of wearing course that was damaged in a diesel spill and had to be relaid! Anyway, fingers crossed for Monday or Tuesday of next week..! :D

I'd say heads rolled for that!!!

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    The fact that Leo Varadkar is Minister for Transport and Tourism could mean he'll be down for the PR exposure for both the Festival (Tourism) and the new bypass (Transport) on the Wednesday - official Rose launch date??

I think with the recent Belturbet bypass opening, people only found out on the day it opened so I'm guessing likewise here.

I hope he doesn't pass through Adare, he'll be lynched. If ever a town needed a bypass...

As for cyclists, sorry, we'll be using the road. It's a pretty bloody straight dual carriageway so you'll see cyclists a half a mile ahead and have plenty of time to change lanes or dare I say it? Slow down on time. I'm a driver also and I know there's bollox acting on both sides particularly with club cycling in large groups, and with drivers trying to squeeze past a cyclist with oncoming traffic. A small bit of cop the f*ck on is what's required.

Advertisement