Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Access at the location proposed "does NOT PRESENTLY find support in the local development plan policy"

KCC planners get the finger out ffs in the next Kerry Area Plan (another few years away 2021)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tippinkerry

Manor have been refused planning again???

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

Be careful out there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Be careful out there

I am sure that's been like that for ages! Why has it not been repaired!?

I received the following: -

I acknowledge your email today and confirm that I did receive your email of the 18th April and I immediately put in train our repair procedure for both the Tralee Bypass and the Castleisland Bypass, where similar barriers have been damaged by reckless/speeding drivers. As explained to you previously, it is just not practical to repair each individual damaged barrier as and when it occurs. Both the cross-sectional design of the bypasses along with the requirements under chapter 8 Temporary Traffic Management leave us with no choice but to close the road while the repairs are being carried out. This has been organised for Castleisland for Thursday 11th May and traffic will be diverted through the town. The repairs to the Tralee Bypass however require the cooperation of the Traffic Corp to close off the particular section of Bypass affected. This is not the case in Castleisland given the road layout. The repairs to the damaged barrier in Tralee are provisionally scheduled for next week. I trust this is satisfactory.

Frankly it is not satisfactory

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Surely there's no issue as long as there's nothing in either of the live lanes?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

marno21 wrote: »
    Surely there's no issue as long as there's nothing in either of the live lanes?

A type 2 DC isn't wide enough to safely maintain one lane in each direction open to traffic while working on the median.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

It all comes down to health and safety requirements. It's no fun working in the median of a dual carriageway with traffic whizzing past at 100km/h. And it seems the more warning signs are there, the faster people drive.

HAS there been a Independent 'Traffic Management Review' of the vehicles using this route, to ascertain if it's success/value for money/or failure.

I still believe the extension (to Leith beyond the I.T. roundabout) was unnecessary and the money could have been 'better' spent on these options:-
    1. A link from the I.T. to the Ballybunion road/Bracker O'Regan/Fat mile ring road
    2. An on-ramp link from Clash Ind. Est.
    and/or
    3. A 'upgraded link road' along Kearney's Road to Blennerville/Dingle (or further out, to Tonevane Cross from Farmers Bridge).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

amadain wrote: »
    HAS there been a Independent 'Traffic Management Review' of the vehicles using this route, to ascertain if it's success/value for money/or failure.

No. There is no requirement for such a review to take place for schemes like this. Schemes are independently appraised and have their business case sent to DPER for approval before being sent to An Bord Pleanala for planning permission. Beyond that it's case closed.
    amadain wrote: »
    I still believe the extension (to Leith beyond the I.T. roundabout) was unnecessary and the money could have been 'better' spent on these options:-
    1. A link from the I.T. to the Ballybunion road/Bracker O'Regan/Fat mile ring road
    2. An on-ramp link from Clash Ind. Est.
    and/or
    3. A 'upgraded link road' along Kearney's Road to Blennerville/Dingle (or further out, to Tonevane Cross from Farmers Bridge).

The main reason the Tralee bypass was built as it was is because it's completely part of the national road network and was developed by the NRA. Not connecting it to the N69 would've reduced the benefits of the scheme.

1. This project, the Tralee Northern Relief Road, has been funded as part of the Capital Plan Review and will go to construction in the next 2-3 years.
    2. I agree. The current quarter junction is bizarre. Even an entry ramp where traffic in the opposite direction could U turn at the next roundabout would be useful
    3. A connection to the N86 would be useful alright, and the second part of your suggestion would take out the mess that is Tonevane Cross also. Another idea would've been directly connecting the N70 to the N22 near Farmers Bridge, bypassing the dodgy hairpin and narrow stretch of the N70 that also frequently floods in Winter. Going by Google Traffic a lot of vehicles seem to exit the N70 and travel down using local roads through Lisardboula and Farmers Bridge anyway.

The median barrier is trashed again & again repair appears not to be a high priority. The Castleisland bypass barrier is damaged a 4 spots [cones @ one spot]. The armco barrier has dangerously exposed posts at Ballymackelligott & shortly after the Captain's Table heading West.

Unfortunately those 2+2 roads are not maintained under the MMaRC contracts as they are isolated stretches, so it seems TII wont repair damaged barriers as they happen, and let them build up to make it worthwhile for a contractor to be called out.
    More often than not, the traffic management cost is far greater than the cost of the actual damage.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Unfortunately those 2+2 roads are not maintained under the MMaRC contracts as they are isolated stretches, so it seems TII wont repair damaged barriers as they happen, and let them build up to make it worthwhile for a contractor to be called out.
    More often than not, the traffic management cost is far greater than the cost of the actual damage.

In a related point to your first one, is it an Irish company that does the repair or a company contracted in from abroad? The amount of road in Ireland with this type of barrier is still very low, aside from the 2+1 stretches, we've only 5 schemes of 2+2 opened totalling 39km. There were plans in 2008 or so to have 4-500km open by now

I've no idea Marno, I'd assume there are a few irish companies capable of repairing the wire. Motorway Care (formerly Holgate) and Guard Rail Ireland are 2 firms I've seen repair the steel crash barriers so i'd say they also install and repair the wire barriers.
    Perhaps TII should look at setting up a maintenance contract similar to the delineation and signage program, to ensure all barriers are inspected and repaired regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 civil engineer kerry

HI there iam try view you picture of tralee bypass i cant look them as it says photobucket can you help. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

HI there iam try view you picture of tralee bypass i cant look them as it says photobucket can you help. Thanks

Photobucket has gone to the dogs. It was working very well when I started out this thread.

EXTENSION from Forge Cross roundabout over to Ballybunion road (and beyond to Bracker O'Regan Rd) is well underway.

ANY quacks or archaeologists following this new route with planning, aerial photos, maps, timeframe for completion, etc, (Great Thread btw).

TIA😉

Advertisement