Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ecssa cert

Options
  • 17-10-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

hi guys i`ve been out of the wiring for a few years now. i`ve just built my own house and applied for a cert.i`m trying to fill it out at moment..i`ve to insert values for the resistance of both insulation and protective condectors but have no megger.. any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

sure you'll have to borrow one

are you familiar with the new wiring rules before you apply for this cert-there's ben a few changes lately

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

As M ceebee says you could borrow one.

The other option would be to ask a contractor who is registered to come and test the whole installation and cert it for you. Of course you'd have to pay him for his time and he'll have someone with him to help him, but at least it'll be tested and certed right.

I'd say there'd be plenty of guys out there willing and more than eager for the work

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

make sure the tester is calibrated and you note the serial number

As M ceebee says you could borrow one.

The other option would be to ask a contractor who is registered to come and test the whole installation and cert it for you. Of course you'd have to pay him for his time and he'll have someone with him to help him, but at least it'll be tested and certed right.

I'd say there'd be plenty of guys out there willing and more than eager for the work

sure if that was allowed it would be a free for all

non-registered guys (a lot of them drawing dole),working for cash with no test meters
    undercutting us registered guys

no wonder the electrical contracting industry is on it's knees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

M cebee wrote: »
    sure if that was allowed it would be a free for all

non-registered guys (a lot of them drawing dole),working for cash with no test meters
    undercutting us registered guys

no wonder the electrical contracting industry is on it's knees

Well said regarding undercutting...

The same issue is happing to bonifide oil and gas registered contractors.
    There are plumbers carryout works at rediculously low rates.... how can they be paying for overheads like insurance and registration costs and appropriate certificates.

Regarding Electrical regulations.
    The house must conform to current regs ( irrespective of when works started) so if you do mannage go get some one in to carryout the test for you they are taking on responsiblity for installtion and their works ( your house) may be subject to an inspection by ESSCA or RECI.
    This is why some registered contractors may be reluctant to just carry out the test.

• Advertisement

ntpm wrote: »
    Well said regarding undercutting...

The same issue is happing to bonifide oil and gas registered contractors.
    There are plumbers carryout works at rediculously low rates.... how can they be paying for overheads like insurance and registration costs and appropriate certificates.

Regarding Electrical regulations.
    The house must conform to current regs ( irrespective of when works started) so if you do mannage go get some one in to carryout the test for you they are taking on repsonsiblity fot installtion and there works ( your hous)e may be subject to an inspection by ESSCA or RECI.
    This is why some registered contractosr may be reluctant to just carry out the test.

it's not allowed-reci don't allow it anyhow

Sadly guys, it is allowed.

Any contractor can cert work that he hasn't installed, he just ticks a different box on the cert.

Also, there is nothing stopping any qualified electrician from getting ECSSA from certifying any installation they do. So long as it conforms and they pay their money....there's no prob.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's the way it is.

http://ecssa.ie/includes/tiny_mce/plugins/filemanager/files/Application_for_Certification.pdf

Sadly guys, it is allowed.

Any contractor can cert work that he hasn't installed, he just ticks a different box on the cert.

Also, there is nothing stopping any qualified electrician from getting ECSSA from certifying any installation they do. So long as it conforms and they pay their money....there's no prob.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's the way it is.

http://ecssa.ie/includes/tiny_mce/plugins/filemanager/files/Application_for_Certification.pdf

http://www.ecssa.ie/includes/tiny_mc...Dec%202009.pdf

i'm not a ecssa member but -rule 32(b)(iii) prohibits this

http://www.ecssa.ie/includes/tiny_mc...Dec%202009.pdf

i'm not a ecssa member but -rule 32(b)(iii) prohibits this

Fair point and i agree with you totally, but, it doesn't change the fact that it goes on and in some instances cant be avoided.

When i was a registered contractor myself a while back, I certed an installation, the client didn't forward the cert to ESB in time and so it lapsed. I washed my hands of it as by that time I wasn't registered. He got someone else and they just tested it, signed the cert as test only and house was connected.

Anyway, even if the above couldn't be done, it still remains that any qualified electrician can pay his money to ECSSA and so long as their inspector is happy with everything, they will cert the installation for you, no questions asked about whether your on the dole or a tax compliant or insured or any of that.

It's not great but it's like lots of other stuff in our country.

I agree, it's PART of the reason why our industry is F*****. Lots of guys out there now though who are hard up for work and will jump at the chance of a days work to test an installation and give a cert. I know it doesn't make it right, but bread on the table and all that.

yep-it's going to happen anyway

i don't bother with it anyhow-major hassle if there's a serious fault or a dispute

important to clarify anyhow-that this is not allowed

i'm quite sure there are insurance implications if something serious happens-hopefully these guys get tossed out anyhow when they're caught 'selling certs'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

yep-it's going to happen anyway

i don't bother with it anyhow-major hassle if there's a serious fault or a dispute

important to clarify anyhow-that this is not allowed

i'm quite sure there are insurance implications if something serious happens-hopefully these guys get tossed out anyhow when they're caught 'selling certs'

"It is Not Allowed"
    The problem is that "WE" are great at making rules and regulations but things are never policed and implemented properly!

"We" = government, regulators, local councils, politician, bankers, commercial tax etc....

Sorry on my soap box again.

Advertisement