Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remix Competition 5 - TEST - Arrangements

Options
  • 17-10-2010 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Ok, Congratz for Ronan, unique mix and sounds there.

Now for something deeper.

I've supplied ORIGINAL midi data as it's one of my own from a while back. This track has already been released so please read the next part carefully.

DO NOT ENABLE DOWNLOADS!

On soundcloud please or feel the wrath ;)

Ok, it's deep and has many layers - you can discard/re-interpret how you wish.

The aim for this test is to see how you arrange parts and deal with complex midi.

There are leads, counters, main melodies etc...

Files are here (midi and a short mp3 sample) - http://www.spiralking.com/boardscompo/

Post to by Saturday night/Sunday midday.

There are lots of parts to play around with in there - the mp3 sample shows most in play... there also was an intro - the midi shows you the whole original song.

There maybe quantization issues - so watch out!

Have fun and good luck.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Any chance this could be a two week thing? There's an awful lot of midi to get through and there's a bank holiday to enjoy. It would give people a chance to try and get something really good out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Yeah, no problem. What we can do is extend the time (as it is a bit large) and do something a little different.

At the one week mark, post work so far and i'll guide changes (as a producer would) and then you get another weeks work.

Cheers Matt, that would be great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Matt thanks for the comments on my track.

I think I've figured most of the problems - more of a case of learning from my mistakes than anything else. I've already found a way to get a much better cymbal sound.

One thing I'd like to learn, purely for the sake of knowing how to do it is all those kick, snare and cymbal rolls you hear in trance (you know the cliches) - especially in clean psytrans and East European chart music. I don't actually have a collection of clean psytrans. Would you know a really generic track or two that has loads of these rolls - not one of the big records - I'm looking for a cliche laden track to study the cliches - more notable records tend to use them very sparingly. I've heard the stuff often enough but I've not idea the names of the tracks. I don't really want to ask on the psytrance boards - they're a little religious about it over there.

krd wrote: »
    Matt thanks for the comments on my track.

I think I've figured most of the problems - more of a case of learning from my mistakes than anything else. I've already found a way to get a much better cymbal sound.

One thing I'd like to learn, purely for the sake of knowing how to do it is all those kick, snare and cymbal rolls you hear in trance (you know the cliches) - especially in clean psytrans and East European chart music. I don't actually have a collection of clean psytrans. Would you know a really generic track or two that has loads of these rolls - not one of the big records - I'm looking for a cliche laden track to study the cliches - more notable records tend to use them very sparingly. I've heard the stuff often enough but I've not idea the names of the tracks. I don't really want to ask on the psytrance boards - they're a little religious about it over there.

Well for psytrance - something like 'Infected Mushroom' do a lot of that stuff... and going back a bit you'd probably need to speak to people in the DJ forum (they'd REALLY know) - but Dragonfly is one of hundreds ;)

• Advertisement

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Well for psytrance - something like 'Infected Mushroom' do a lot of that stuff... and going back a bit you'd probably need to speak to people in the DJ forum (they'd REALLY know) - but Dragonfly is one of hundreds ;)

I know Infected Mushroom - and a few of the other names, and I have some of their stuff. The problem with the big names is they tend to be more creative and steer away from the cheesiest cliches - which is what I'm looking for.

There's a type of clean psytrans where every tune does actually sound identical to each other - it's not the kind of stuff DJs like - unless they're a clean psytrans DJ, which in that case it's the only music they'll like or play. I don't have any of it - but a friend sent me a like to a clean psytrans DJ set on soundcloud, as a joke (I listened to it) - I lost the link but it was exactly what I'm looking for (It didn't have the track titles on it though). Everything is very clean, no fancy ideas, just cliche after cliche. Perfect to learn all the drum stuff from.

I got some stuff this morning - but it the more creative stuff. I think once I stumble on a label doing the generic I'll have what I need.

Another question, you may know the answer to - I can build a rhythm in my head - but the second I go to program it, with the sound of the first beats I lose it. Do you know any good way to capture the idea? I have to pencil all my stuff in - I can't tap a groove in. Sooner or later I'll figure out a way to do it. For the minute I don't know how.

Another question, you may know the answer to - I can build a rhythm in my head - but the second I go to program it, with the sound of the first beats I lose it. Do you know any good way to capture the idea? I have to pencil all my stuff in - I can't tap a groove in. Sooner or later I'll figure out a way to do it. For the minute I don't know how.

What you do is get a basic part of the rhythm going in a loop (lets say 4x4 beat) and watch the line travel across the beat (slow the loop down also if it helps) and try to isolate elements in your head (like the snare) and see where it lands when the line passes over and pencil in the note.

As you're the only person to enter, i'll give you the same amount of time on yours as I would have with everyone else getting involved :)

Will start commenting over during the day.

Neurojazz wrote: »
    As you're the only person to enter, i'll give you the same amount of time on yours as I would have with everyone else getting involved :)

Will start commenting over during the day.

I doubt I'll be the only one entering, I think everybody is taking advantage of the two weeks. I just thought I'd throw up what I had done to get the midway feedback.

• Advertisement

I doubt I'll be the only one entering, I think everybody is taking advantage of the two weeks. I just thought I'd throw what I had done to get the midway feedback.

Ok, ;) - the first set of comments will be as if a producer had a hand in the session - if people want this, post what you have so far!

I've been a little exhausted to give it a proper go yet. I'm not sure what I want to do with it. Or how I'm to avoid repeating certain mistakes.

Well the final version is up here: http://soundcloud.com/android-78/pictures-android-78s-polaroids-remix

I tried to implement all the changes Matt suggested and I played around with the different elements a bit more. I have no idea if its any good anymore. My brain is mush...

Well the final version is up here: http://soundcloud.com/android-78/pictures-android-78s-polaroids-remix

I tried to implement all the changes Matt suggested and I played around with the different elements a bit more. I have no idea if its any good anymore. My brain is mush...

Like the snare explosion type sounds you have. And the vocal samples.

Lots of interesting percussion. I've only listened on laptop speakers but it sounds like your mastering is better. I think because you've left a little head room at the top.

I've only got started on mine tonight. Just been too mentally exhausted to build a track up tonight. Probably would have benefited from starting it earlier but what can you do.

Like the snare explosion type sounds you have. And the vocal samples.

Lots of interesting percussion. I've only listened on laptop speakers but it sounds like your mastering is better. I think because you've left a little head room at the top.

I've only got started on mine tonight. Just been too mentally exhausted to build a track up tonight. Probably would have benefited from starting it earlier but what can you do.

Cheers krd, thanks for listening. I've been listening to a lot the stuff on this thread - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055966581 - some amazing stuff on it which has really made me want to do something a bit more interesting beat wise.

Loooking forward to hearing what you put up.

Cheers krd, thanks for listening. I've been listening to a lot the stuff on this thread - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055966581 - some amazing stuff on it which has really made me want to do something a bit more interesting beat wise.

Loooking forward to hearing what you put up.

Yeah, I've listened to that thread too - except I have a dog of an internet connection so it's a pain to watch stuff.

Yeah there's a crossover type thing happening at the minute - Drum&Bass/Jungle is back (no one ever calls it jungle) - Even DeadMau5 is in on the act - listen to Raise you weapon for the Dubstep break.

Here's mine
    http://soundcloud.com/the-noobian-prince/the-noobian-prince-picture-remix-5

It's not really mixed well (It's mixed badly it's overblown) and there isn't a really good arrangement to it. I more or less repeat the same melody line for the entire tune - which is something you shouldn't really do - you can if you want but it's good to come in and out of it.

I think I went for more or less the same elements you did. I also threw in the Amen break - I didn't chop it up - I didn't have the time. (Yeah, I know technically I did have time but I suppose I was so depressed after my last disaster it took me a while to get back in the frame of mind to attempt it).

Anyway - the thing I was going for was contemporary American Depeche Modey gothic "House" or "Trance" - It isn't house or trance - it's what American kids in bum fcuk Indiana are listening to though.

Yeah, I know technically I did have time but I suppose I was so depressed after my last disaster it took me a while to get back in the frame of mind to attempt it.

I know what you mean. It's been a good learning curve but I feel like I'm submitting some awul muck. I thinks I'll take a break after this one...

Anyway - the thing I was going for was contemporary American Depeche Modey gothic "House" or "Trance" - It isn't house or trance - it's what American kids in bum fcuk Indiana are listening to though.

Well call me a fully paid up resident of bum fcuk, Indian because I like it (the tune not the bum ****ing)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

here's mine ... done on lots of trains, 2 planes and 1 boat ...

http://soundcloud.com/ronan-marr/picture-ml-ronan-marr-remix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

here's mine

http://soundcloud.com/red-dave/picture-red-dave-lost-hour-remix

need...sleep..

i'm guessing this is still open because the thread still open? i've made an edit to mine as it was too late to have the speakers on last night. the change has probably made it even more shítter anyway :o

I know what you mean. It's been a good learning curve but I feel like I'm submitting some awul muck. I thinks I'll take a break after this one...

Well it's a tough learning curve. You learn from your mistakes. And figure out ways of not making them in the first place. I think the only way to do it is by building more tracks. Working out all the tricks and stuff so you can do them without exhausting yourself.

Well call me a fully paid up resident of bum fcuk, Indian because I like it (the tune not the bum ****ing)

Well the track got out of control. Bits that I had planned didn't work so I had to paper over them. I need to develop better working methods. Really I need to keep building tracks and until I can up my skills to the point I'm not repeating the same mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Jazz up to too much trickin n'treatin yesterday? :p

red dave wrote: »
    Jazz up to too much trickin n'treatin yesterday? :p

What are you suggesting? Few too many Jazz woodbines and Jazz vitamin pills.

I don't know - maybe he's in jail.

Will try and get around to marking soon - have plateful here ;)

Advertisement