Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another leaky shower screen thread

• 17-10-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just fitted a shower screen in replacement of a shower curtain. Problem is the screen is leaking from around the hinge area.

I've attached a few photos. The actual glass seal is doing it's job alright. I've out some silicon on the inside of the screen hinge but still leaking :mad:. After reading a few other 'leaky screen' threads, I'm going to silicon the outside of the hinge, as per advice from Joey the Lips to another poster. I've also noticed that there is a tiny gap where the glass seal and the hinge meet. How do I sort this? Just try to keep the seal as flush to the hinge as possible?

Any other advice that will solve my problem welcomed :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

have you put silicone on the back of the profile before you screwed it to the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

gsxr1 wrote: »
    have you put silicone on the back of the profile before you screwed it to the wall?

No but I was going to run a bead up the profile on the shower side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

kkelly77 wrote: »
    No but I was going to run a bead up the profile on the shower side.

yeah. that would be the next best thing. But messy looking. It would take 15 mins to whip it off, do the back and reinstall.

Thats if its the problem.

I surprised the instructions did not tell you to do this.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    yeah. that would be the next best thing. But messy looking. It would take 15 mins to whip it off, do the back and reinstall.

Thats if its the problem.

I surprised the instructions did not tell you to do this.

Instructions were extremely brief and doesn't mention anything about sealing with silicon.

From what I can see it looks as if the water is coming out from where the glass seal meets the hinge (photo 4 in my original post). I'll run a bead of silicon all around the bottom of the hinge but unfortunately there is no way to 100% seal that minute gap between it and the glass seal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Unfor you have made an all to common problem when mounting the screen. You mounted the screen on the outside lip. Whats happening to you is the water is rolling down the screen meeting the bath and taking the easy route to the floor. What you can do is loosen the screen slightly and squeeze some silicone in under the hindge when it dries it might work

Alternatively take the screen down and remount it on the inside lip.

Your problem is an all to common problem with flat baths as well.

• Advertisement

Unfor you have made an all to common problem when mounting the screen. You mounted the screen on the outside lip. Whats happening to you is the water is rolling down the screen meeting the bath and taking the easy route to the floor. What you can do is loosen the screen slightly and squeeze some silicone in under the hindge when it dries it might work.

I'll try that first and if that fails I'll move the whole lot as per your advice. I wanted to keep the shower curtain, she wanted the screen :rolleyes:

I'll take function over style any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

as the poster said, seal the back of the profile, and pump it into the bottom of the profile before you re hang the screen to the profile. ideally, the screen should have been set a bit further back from the outer edge of the bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

bad install really, screen should be 5mm or so more in from the bath, by looks of it theres a slight gap between the tiles and wall profile so either the tiles or bath is running off which is probably also why there is a slight gap at the bottom of the hinge. Silicone would only really be used on the outside of the wall profile. I prefer myself to run a bead of silicone on the back of the wall profile when fitting it then also inside the U shape of the profile before fitting the door part then make sure the rubber seal at the bottom of the door is catching the top of the bath but still able to open and close before drilling your holes. Tbh looks like you would be better drilling new holes.

Advertisement