Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Wordpress a good platform to create a website

Options
  • 17-10-2010 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if there are courses available in Dublin for Wordpress site development. I have used wordpress at a very basic level. Want to learn how to implement my own templates, optimize the site and all the whistles and bells that goes with wordpress. I have heard so many good things about wp, are they really true and is it worthwhile looking into courses for wp newbies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I don't know of any courses, but in this general area, I'd recommend getting used to learning things on your own -> http://codex.wordpress.org

Theming wordpress isn't that hard once you know how to make a site with html/css. You can take the default wp theme and replace the html & css parts, while leaving the php intact.
    If you're already comfortable with html/css, an online tutorial would take you through the specifics of creating your own theme easily enough... as long as you're happy enough with the default layout/functionality and expanding with plugins.
    If you want to do anything more complex or custom, it's time to learn php, or jump ship to another CMS that's closer to what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Iisto

I also like Wordpress, because it is easy. But I know that more and more developers now chose Drupal instead of Wordpress. According to one of Drupal development companies in case of Drupal developments customers get:
    • a web-site build on the safe system which is based on open source code, the system which is tested by million users all over the world. Professional content management system;
    • web-site with moderate price even if there is a need in development of some specific features which are not developed in Drupal yet
    • It is more likely that possibilities of Drupal system are limited by developer’s imagination rather than facilities of Drupal itself; this will be a web-site with great performance and scalability

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Iisto wrote: »
    According to one of Drupal development companies in case of Drupal developments customers get:
    IMO all of those points apply to WordPress too.

OP - There are so many plugins for WordPress that you can get away with not having to do much PHP development.

Advertisement