Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy now or wait till after Christmas

• 17-10-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to buy the 5D mark II as I have been left some money so am going to invest to large format.

I have been looking online and prices are competitive enough but I was wondering whether to go for it now or wait till after Christmas - could it be possible prices would come down then. I thought I saw something online lately that Canon could be releasing a mark iii but I could have been dreaming too.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I doubt prices will change that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

prices generally dip ...Oct and Spring....I think April (new products are released around then and market reacts...people either buy the new product or snap up the current model as they are happy with it.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Bar the Euro getting stronger against the dollar, they aren't going
    to change much.

I have been watching Kea Photo for around 6 months or so and the
    prices have improved again as the Euro has been getting stronger.
    If you look here the Euro is still trending upwards, so bar any shocks
    to the system, the trend *may* continue this way hence it would be
    cheaper after Christmas. :)

If it was me and I had the money now, I wouldn't bother waiting for
    the sake of a couple of hundred euro. Get it now from Kea, 3/4 day
    delivery time and you can still get the last of the Autumn colours!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

The 5D Mark II is definitely not "large format" ;) (that's 4"x5" and up)

Two things to consider:

Do you want to use the camera over the holidays or sooner than "after the holidays"?

Do you want to keep waiting to see if the technology in the next round of cameras is going to be worth waiting for?

If you want to use the camera before the holidays.. buy it now.

If you want to wait to see if the next generation is better.. you'll probably never buy a camera at all.. so knock that off & buy it.

You're not likely to see huge price drops because of post-holiday sales.. unless it happens to coincide with the release of new models.. but in the range you're looking at.. I doubt you'll see a huge price drop no matter what happens.
    angeleyes wrote: »
    I am hoping to buy the 5D mark II as I have been left some money so am going to invest to large format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

angeleyes wrote: »

Its not large format but it is full frame, (maybe thats what you meant)
    Buy it now, you will love it even though I am a Nikon user :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Can't see prices dropping on that model anytime soon. It's a beast, and very, very popular. It is one of very few models I would switch to Canon for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Its not large format but it is full frame, (maybe thats what you meant)
    Buy it now, you will love it even though I am a Nikon user :D

Thats exactly what I meant - sometimes I have sh*t for brains - and I was half asleep.

Thank you all your replies and will be looking at Kea Photo for prices.

Advertisement