Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Summer 2011!!

• 17-10-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

:cool: Me and 3 other lads are heading to San Francisco,Berkeley and I was wondering does anyone have tips, advice, is it better to stay in frat houses or find own accomadation?!?, Also if there's any info on job possibilites in the are I'd appreciate it.

Cheers!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭pakb1ue

I went to Huntington Beach and I wouldnt recommend it at all. Was in San Fran/Berkeley for a few days and I really like it but its not exactly easy to find jobs in. I stayed a in Frat House in Boston and I would highly recommend it. One of the girls who I met in HB stayed in a frat in Berkeley the year before and she said it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 torps

Huntington Beach is nowhere near San Francisco, what are you talkin about?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭pakb1ue

I know that, I was just saying it as that was where I was and to anyone reading this to stay away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I would suggest doing a quick search on this forum for J1 San Francisco as it has been discussed several times before. Also, in the North America forum, there might be some results in there too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I would suggest doing a quick search on this forum for J1 San Francisco as it has been discussed several times before. Also, in the North America forum, there might be some results in there too.

Yea, I moved some of them in their thinking they'd fit in better. Then remembered this forum has the word 'Student' in it. So now they're all over the place. OP, check the North America forum for more details. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 robertajh

I've heard that yosemite is a great place to stay. Close to san fran but also in the middle of a national parkicon12.gif!!! Highly recommend getting a cabin a few miles away from civilisation! Had a blast last year (watch out for mountain cougars).

what type of cougars, the yummy mummy type or the big cat?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

torps wrote: »
    :cool: Me and 3 other lads are heading to San Francisco,Berkeley and I was wondering does anyone have tips, advice, is it better to stay in frat houses or find own accomadation?!?, Also if there's any info on job possibilites in the are I'd appreciate it.

Cheers!!:D

A few friends and I went to Berkeley in Summer '09. We originally planned to stay in San Fran, but rent was very expensive and getting to know people would have been a lot of trouble.

It was suggested we move out to Berkeley and I am really glad we took this suggestion on board.
    Berkeley is one of those great American college towns with a great buzz around it's main streets and college campus. There's always something going on. The weather is far better in Berkeley too. it doesn't experience any of the fog that San Fran gets. I wouldn't reccommend getting an apartment. Stay in a frat house, take in the experience and live it up.
    The best frat houses tend to be on Channing Way, Piedmont Avenue, Bancroft Way, Durant Avenue. These are all close to everything in Berkeley and is the core spot of frat houses. Rent is very cheap (obviously the more people, the cheaper the rent) You can secure accommodation there via email, but if you get there early, going door to door is just as good.

The job prospects in Berkeley aren't the best, but not entirely hopeless. Again, you just have to look early. San Fran will be your best bet. About 30 mins by train. All the restraunts, bike hire places around Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 are the obvious and most likely places to get a job. Also try Abercrombie & Fitch and other clothes stores. They usually hire irish people.

Remember to just plan everything accordingly. Have Resumes(CVs) made out, secure accommodation and the Social Security number right away and hand out a blast of CVs.

And then have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stressedcao

Hey guys,

Going on a j1 this summer but not sure where yet. There are 6 girls going and we want to stick to the East coast. Out of the 6 of us only one person will be turning 21 while we are there. Would you recommend Ocean City for a J1? Is there a good Irish presence there and good house parties?

Would appreciate if you could get back to me thanks

americans are really strict when it comes to the whole age thing and if you're not 21 you're not getting drink,but if you want house parties i suggest trying to stay in a sorority where its cheap and loads of parties all summer long. Ocean city is also really hard to get work in, but thats just what ive heard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jenconnellan

hi does anyone no websites to apply for jobs in san francisco for the summer 2011???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 running man

Hey 4 friends and i are heading to Ocean city on the 27th of May and are looking for 3 possibly 4 more to share with. we have accomm booked and ready to go. need a few more to keep costs down. We are all donegal lads so everyone knows what were like up in donegal. If your looking for banter our house is the place to be in ocean city
    Send me an email on pauricmac@hotmail.com if your interested

Advertisement