Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad smell

Options
  • 17-10-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi, I have had a very bad smell (cabbage like) in the downstairs loo on and off for the past couple years, getting worse recently. The bathroom was installed about 4 years ago. I can hear water being displaced and rushing through pipes when using the loo which I thought was unusual and was worried it was diconnected and running under the floor. The smell is in the sittng room too which is just across a small halway. There is no smell outside the house and the drains seem to be clear. It has gotten worse since we had a new bricked driveway installed. I wonder if some outlet was blocked, though the smell does predate the driveway. I really hope someone can help as it's awful and as the loo is right next to the front door it does not make a good impression.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

well the U-trap is supposed to stop smell from coming back into the house so possibly theres a fault there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Check that the joints behind the toilet bowl are sealing correctly. If you have even the slightest escape of "air" through these joints you will have the symtoms you describe. The can leak air without any leakage of water. The rubber seals can lose their effectiveness over time.

Advertisement