Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sport options in Waterford for females ?

• 17-10-2010 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Howdy ! I have recently began working down in Waterford but living in Kilkenny. I am looking to get back into sports the way I was as a kid but due to my work shifts it would suit best to do this in Waterford. I loved camogie and would like to join a team in waterford but can anyone tell me what way it works in terms of being eligible to join a team - do you have to live in that parish? Any suggestions for options would be greatly appreciated. I would be open to trying new things. I was maybe considering joining Civil Defence too.
    Thanks in advance !:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

I play rugby for Waterford City..no vetting process, we're only up and runnign 2 months but are starting our league in October and all levels of experience welcome (even if you have none)...all ages also, we have ages between 18 and 45 on the team so nothing to stop you.. a few of the girls who played camogie have joined the team

PM me if you want more details on it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

Thank you very much for that. Very unfit :( - - And I would feel very conscious if I was surrounded by skinny mary's :(

no skinny marys on our pitch! honest to god its all shapes and sizes and in rugby every size and fitness level is catered for..there were a few women who felt the same as you but came down and tried it and they love it now:)

Can you tell me that times and days that you train please? I do different shifts from week to week.

we train Mondays and Wednesdays 7-8.30 on our pitch in Kilbarry (next to where the new Tescos is being built).

all games will be played on Saturdays

if you can't make training some weeks thats no problem. we have mothers who can't get babysitters sometimes, women who work shifts etc that cant make it every week etc..the coach is fine with it, just make it when you can or even do it just to keep fit:)

• Advertisement

O cool. thats one option for me so :D I work in IDA so it would suit if I had to get down there when just finishing around that time - I'll PM ya for contact details etc for that hun cheers.

Any more ideas then please feel free :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

If you don't want to play full contact rugby, then there's a tag rugby league starting up soon.

....O yea I forgot that its full contact lol - i havent had slaps or bangs from sports since I was about 12 ( which was 12 yrs ago ) - O well !! Suppose I aint that delicate :D I will keep the tag rugby in mind while I am nursing my wounds.

shurrup Ken, nothing like a good auld hard slap to get the blood pumping..lol;)

Just you wait till I'm refereeing your matches. You're sinbinned straight away :p

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    Just you wait till I'm refereeing your matches. You're sinbinned straight away :p

yeah when are you refereeing them? can't wait! the league starts in two weeks..scarey bloody marys!! don't think we'll face anyone as hard as Kilkenny the night though..we were only told afterwards that there were players on their team who had trials for Lenister and we had only had 8 training sessions..still, we gave them a good run and apparently we are "teh most physical side" they played in a while according to their captain:cool:

bring on the league:D

It was a good win against them. We don't get assigned until the Tuesday before the games.

Yea I might give the rugby a try - Sandra , make sure you get the commission for recruiting eh?! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

loads of girls in the night running groups also. There are also a few circuit traiining groups around, you can only go at your own pace so no panic on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ellie1984

Max Powers wrote: »
    loads of girls in the night running groups also. There are also a few circuit traiining groups around, you can only go at your own pace so no panic on that front.

Hi max, could you tell me where i can find the circuit training groups? Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Hiya,

The site for the floodlit sports leagues is http://www.witomnisportleagues.ie

Camogie leagues may be incorporated into it so it might be worth registering your name and they could stick you in a team.

Good luck with finding something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

circuit trainng at RSC Monday and Wednesday nights at 7.30 pm afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

St Annes Waterford Tennis Club
    http://www.stannestennis.com/

Waterford Archery Club
    http://www.nalaochdall.com/
    Na Laoch Dall is a new field archery club located just outside the city centre

Yvonnes Circuit Training
    Every Tuesday & Thursday 7-8pm St Angelas/Ursuline Secondary School

Winter Running league
    http://www.waterfordac.com/pages/WinterLeague.php
    Normally starts up first Thursday in November and goes on till mid Feb.
    Keep and eye on their website I am sure it will be updating soon.
    7pm every thursday, great for beginners, highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Damin Jackson Circuit Training
    Monday & Wednesday - 6.15 - 7.15pm - Ursline Secondary School.

Comeragh Cycling Club are setting up a Women On Wheels group for all levels of female cyclists.

• Advertisement

What exactly is airsoft ? ? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

waterford ladies hockey teams train up in newtown school on tue\thurs at 7 till 8 i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

valpuk wrote: »
    What exactly is airsoft ? ? ?

Airsoft is like paintball but its alot cheaper, you get to run around a forest shooting people in a team based game of around 50 players once a month on our site. we played our halloween game on sunday it was great fun we had zombies , lasers , smoke machines sound effects etc and a night game. we have about 30 on the team and a number of ladies that play too. if your interested in coming along we play most weekends on our site and host a large event once a month. PM me if you would like more details or/and check out our facebook page

Advertisement