Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neil delamare..funny or annoying?

Options
  • 17-10-2010 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭

am i alone in thinking he's an annoying unfunny <snip> or is there acutually people that think he's funny?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Well he annoys me an awful lot anyway. but I just avoid anything with him in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

To be honest, we have worse Irish comedians.
    Not the best maybe, but not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

He is pretty funny live, but not so great on TV. Same with most comedians though tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Well he annoys me an awful lot anyway. but I just avoid anything with him in it.

Agreed! A truly unfunny pr1ck who tries to hard.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from After Hours.
    I have also snipped out some of the insulting stuff because we're trying our best not to get sued left and right by Irish micro-celebrities.
    For what it's worth I think he's brutal. Shouldn't have been given a TV show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

He has his ups and downs. Can be funny at times, but I think he plays up the bog trotter up in the big schmoke abit too much. Hes really a comedian who will be working in Ireland all his life. Unlike Dara O Briain or Ed Byrne, his material doesnt travel that well Id imagine.

Ok, im sure hes sold out Edinburgh or whatever, but I doubt you'll see him on Mock The Week anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Not funny, typical RTE type comedian, imo.

There's just something about him and lots of the other comedians, they all try too hard. I always get the feeling it's really hard work for them. It's difficult to watch. But I'm kinda gone off all comedians recently anyway. Think my sense of humour has changed a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Moved from After Hours.
    I have also snipped out some of the insulting stuff because we're trying our best not to get sued left and right by Irish micro-celebrities.
    For what it's worth I think he's brutal. Shouldn't have been given a TV show.
    fair enuf for snipping it doc im just glad there are lots of like-minded people out there.ps love the irish micro-celebrities jibe classic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

He blows hot and cold in my opinion but he is nothing compared to Andrew Maxwell.

Maxwell is the anti-Christ, I would rather be deaf then go to one of his shows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

He's just another in the long line of what I call 'smart arse humour' comedians.

Most of his jokes contain sarcasm, where he is trying to make himself appear clever, I hate that crap now as it's been done to death.

The odd bit of sarcasm is fine, if done with some self deprecation, but not when it's 80% of an act.

One of the reasons why I couldn't stand Bill Hicks.

He spawned that style of humour.

They say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, yet Bill Hicks is considered the greatest stand-up of all time, go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

There is far far worse Irish comedians than him

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

OutlawPete wrote: »

They say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, yet Bill Hicks is considered the greatest stand-up of all time, go figure.

In fairness the reason Hicks is considered great is because his stand up had a lot of truth and depth to it. You can't say the same about Delamare or most of the Irish comedy circuit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

barbarians wrote: »
    Maxwell is the anti-Christ, I would rather be deaf then go to one of his shows.

You could just bring earplugs or cover your ears for an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

I happened to see The Panel for the first time in years this week

I wouldn't be a huge fan of the show but I heard Dom Joly was on so I watched it.

At one stage they were having a competition in which the prize was a photo of Lily Allen about to punch Dom Joly, as he collects photos of himself being punched in the face by celebrities to which Mr. Delamare piped up saying "Ooh get one of me doing it!" or something like that.

That statement has completly turned me off him & his comedy.

His best work was/is the voiceover for the Lotto/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

He's ****e! But not as bad as Jason Byrne. He's just cringe worthy

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

He is ok at times.

Nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think he's a very funny comedian live but it doesn't translate very well to TV. It especially doesn't translate well to the ultra-sensitive RTE who cut anything remotely offensive out. He does "try too hard" on the Panel, but in fairness when you're surrounded by Andrew Maxwell, Craig Doyle and Eleanor Tiernan, you're probably going to try harder because you're one of the only hopes (Colin Murphy aside) of any humour.

Live he's brilliant for an Irish comedian, on TV he just looks off. The only criticism I do have is that he probably wouldnt travel well as his humour is very Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

I like him.

But I know what you mean about comedians trying too hard, most of the women comedians on The Panel are guilty of this, (not sexist, its true) as are a fair few others.

And Jason Byrne, I never really liked him, when his show ''The Byrne Ultimatum'' began last year, I watched it as I liked the guests on it, but hated JB, but as the series went on I got to really like him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

TBH can anyone name a single good comedian currently working for RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

OutlawPete wrote: »
    He's just another in the long line of what I call 'smart arse humour' comedians.

Most of his jokes contain sarcasm, where he is trying to make himself appear clever, I hate that crap now as it's been done to death.

The odd bit of sarcasm is fine, if done with some self deprecation, but not when it's 80% of an act.

^^^^^:eek::eek: i think your way off the mark.!

yea delamare is poo

cypharius wrote: »
    TBH can anyone name a single good comedian currently working for RTE?

Colin Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Colin Murphy.

Touché...

cypharius wrote: »
    Touché...

I'm just glad you didn't ask for more than one to be honest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭carab

very annoying!!

I've seen neil delamere live twice (second time was part of the panel live) and really my opinion of him has gotten worse. I get what people are saying in terms of the people he's with on the panel, but if you're shit you're shit. oh and the female comedians are horrendously shit on the panel for some reason. I just don't watch that program anymore.

Oh and I CANNOT STAND Jason Byrne! I could tolerate Neil Delamere if I'd a gun to my head, but Jason Byrne, I'm afraid not... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 garylynchfix

Never had strong opinions on him, but recently met him briefly when I was doing an open spot in the International. He went on last before the break and it was a lesson in how to do comedy well. Would go see him live now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

CANT STAND HIM. NOT FUNNY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I actually think he's the best comedian that is still in Ireland (given the best just bugger off out of the country). I've seen him at least three times live in the last couple of years; once (maybe twice) down in UCC, once at Edinburgh Festival, and then about a month ago in the Helix. He's good at audience interaction and the best was the one in the Helix because he went to DCU and tailored his set accordingly.

Advertisement