Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Bible (for Ipod)

• 17-10-2010 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd mention that today (and possibly tomorrow), There is a Bible being given away for free, courtesy of 'Free Apps A Day' on the iTunes marketplace. It has "Many Great Translations" (though it doesn't state which ones)

You'll need an iPhone, iPod touch or an iPad to use them. But if you have one, happy out.

All the best,

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

The Blue Letter Bible app is also excellent (and free).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

If anyone uses a Kindle or other electronic reader then the NIV and other translations are available free on the Amazon website. You can also download the Kindle software onto your computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

for a second there I though that said free ipod for Bible and had images of that Atheist group in America kicking into overdrive ... d'oh :P

I would second PDN suggestion, the iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android Amazon Kindle app is free (you pay for the books not the app) and has a selection of freely available copy-right expired books.

I think it is the best eReader out there (its really good on the iPad) and is seems to be regularly updated with nice little improvements and UI touches. If you buy a book you can read it over all your devices.

You do need an Amazon account so it does involve sign up, and the books are DRM encrypted, I think even the free ones (not sure about that) so it may not be everyones cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Wicknight wrote: »
    for a second there I though that said free ipod for Bible and had images of that Atheist group in America kicking into overdrive ... d'oh :P

I would second PDN suggestion, the iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android Amazon Kindle app is free (you pay for the books not the app) and has a selection of freely available copy-right expired books.

I think it is the best eReader out there (its really good on the iPad) and is seems to be regularly updated with nice little improvements and UI touches. If you buy a book you can read it over all your devices.

You do need an Amazon account so it does involve sign up, and the books are DRM encrypted, I think even the free ones (not sure about that) so it may not be everyones cup of tea.

The big advantage of the Kindle itself, rather than putting the app on your phone or computer, is that the screen is not backlit - so you can read it for hours without straining your eyes. It uses similar technology to the old etchasketch (for anyone who's old enough to remember) where ink is formed magnetically under the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I have just been through itunes looking for a free audio version of the Bible.
    Can't find one. I would have thought this would have been the easiest audio book to get for free.

• Advertisement

The bible would take a long time to read out. I would imagine that the file size would be a major prohibitive factor for apps. Still, we must not forget Matthew 11:15 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

The bible would take a long time to read out. I would imagine that the file size would be a major prohibitive factor for apps. Still, we must not forget Matthew 11:15 :P
    There are a few available commercially. Each book is a separate download.
    I'm just surprised if it really is all about getting people to hear the word that a free version is not available... It would also a good way of promoting one version over all the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I bought the ESV audio bible on i-tunes. I must say, excellent. Especially on long trips.

There are a few available commercially. Each book is a separate download.
    I'm just surprised if it really is all about getting people to hear the word that a free version is not available... It would also a good way of promoting one version over all the others.

Well, I guess they take the opinion that if you are rich enough to own an iPod/ Phone/ Pad you will pay the €0.79 - that less than a packet of Tayto - for one of the more reasonably priced apps.

You can actually just visit a site like Bible Gateway and listen to the 6 English translations they provide for free. No doubt there are others out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I have just been through itunes looking for a free audio version of the Bible.
    Can't find one. I would have thought this would have been the easiest audio book to get for free.

Just make sure it is read by Larry King

[Simpsons joke]

• Advertisement
Advertisement