Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rooting a blueberry cutting

Options
  • 17-10-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I took some blueberry cuttings in August and they all appear to have died. I did everything 'right' according to the RHS book:

Took 4 -6 inches cuttings of soft, healthy growth in August. Trimmed off the lower leaves. Inserted the cuttings into pots of one part compost and three parts coarse sand , inserted metal hoops in to the pots, covered with a plastic bag and secured with an elastic band. They were placed in to lean-to greenhouse and received no further attention.

Does anyone know why they might have died?

Is it too late to take new cuttings? Detailed instructions on how to take blueberry cuttings would be greatly appreciated. The resulting blueberry bushes would be grown in pots.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

If they were in full sun in the greenhouse they may have roasted to death, most cuttings like to be on the cool side.
    August might be a bit late for cuttings, I have propagated my own cuttings but took them in June as soft tip cuttings. I used a normal 50% peat and sharp sand compost with a little hormone rooting gel. From about 20 cuttings I got a dozen plants rooted.
    I think they can be rooted as hardwood cuttings but I've never tried that.

Advertisement