Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning down a potential tenant?

Options
  • 17-10-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

On what grounds can you turn down a potential tenant? I'm aware that equality laws apply to tenancies so you can't descriminate on the grounds of gender, race, religion etc etc.

But surely in the interests of protecting your property you can accept a tenant you're happy with? Im trying to rent out a single bedroom apartment. The old tenant was lovely, perfect, but is moving in with some friends. We have a viewing with a single man in his 40s, bit rough looking, smell of booze etc. Am I legally obliged to accept him if he wants to take it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Tell him the property has been let to someone else.

Youre under no obligation to let to someone you dont like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Yeah I thought of that, but then the ad would still be up. Not a major problem I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Branoic wrote: »
    Yeah I thought of that, but then the ad would still be up. Not a major problem I suppose.

If he comes back to you saying the add is still up, just say you haven't had time to take it down. He probably won't notice anyway, even if he did, he's unlikely get in contact with you over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

To be fair you dont have to give him an excuse. It would probably be easier to get rid of him if you did, but you are not obliged to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Say it has been taken.

Or what I tend to say is "I am continuing to show this apartment to other people who are interested"
    (and I advise them they should look at other apartments as well "because I have a lot of people interested in this one" - even if I don't)

I worry about discriminating as well so I do not to get into specifics of why they are not suitable.

Some people in the past have got a bit pushy and tried to get me to tell them why they are not suitable. I just try say "I have not found the right tenant yet so am continuing to show the apartment to other people"

Just decide what you are going to say and keep repeating it: don't be co-erced into saying something you don't want to say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Branoic wrote: »
    single man in his 40s,
    I presume this isn't a particular problem.
    bit rough looking,
    This might be (but might be unfounded).
    smell of booze etc.
    This definitely is.

Advertisement