Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BET's top 10 rappers of 21st century

• 17-10-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭

according to bet its based upon

BET’s "Top 10 Rappers of the 21st Century" is a fierce, no-holds-barred, hour-long special that reveals the ultimate Top 10 List of the last decade’s hottest rappers, whose careers blew up from 1999 to today.

BET’s "Top 10 Rappers" is the definitive hip-hop countdown by the ground-breaking network that gave love to hip-hop before anyone else dared. BET threw open nominations to BET digital followers, industry bloggers and other social influencers (our “Grand Jury”). More than 25,000 votes later, they returned a Top 15 list of rappers for consideration. Now, our “Hip-Hop Supreme Court” is convening to vote on the final Top Ten, based on a rapper’s: flow, lyrics, subject matter, cultural impact, dough, and as needed in the arsenal of a 21st Century rapper –digital skills (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, their own website, etc.).

these are the judges

The Court represents all of the regions of the country, and consists of nine select industry insiders – many of whom were raised on hip-hop: Jermaine Dupri (Producer - ATL); Chuck "Jigsaw" Creekmur (AllHipHop.com); Boy 1da (Producer);DJ Diamond Kuts (Power 99 FM - Philadelphia); DJ Greg Street (V103 - ATL); Tony Neal (CEO, Core DJs); DJ Timbuck2 (107.5 WGCI – Chicago); Chloe Hilliard (Managing Editor/Social Media Manager, Vibe Magazine - NYC); and DJ Vlad (VladTV.com - NYC).

this is the top 10 as follows:

1. eminem (no arguments there)
    2. lil wayne (no way is he 2nd)
    3. kanye west
    4. 50 cent
    5. T.I
    6. ludacris ( id put luda ahead of T.I)
    7. drake (again a big no no, i mean come on he's only had one album)
    8. young jeezy (i taught this was based on good rappers, jeezys the worst
    rapper on this)
    9. jadakiss
    10. rick ross (are you serious)

no fabulous,the game etc etc come on:mad:

drake,jeezy and ross shouldnt be on the list and wayne should be around 5th or 6th in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Well if it's rapper's whose careers blew up from 99 on Snoop and Jay aren't eligible.

It's a sh*t list, but BET aren't exactly relevant anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

that's brutal, bunch of hacks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

that list is laugable at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Makaveli wrote: »
    Well if it's rapper's whose careers blew up from 99 on Snoop and Jay aren't eligible.

true my bad, but the likes of game and fab have a lot bigger impact down through the years than drake,ross and jeezy.

ye i agree bet aint the best, but i think there regarded better than the people in charge of mtv's top ten hottest rappers every year so we are lucky mtv wernt in charge:D

here's what nelly had to say on being left out,one of the biggest selling rappers this decade still, i think its focusing too much on rappers popularity now rather than rappers who were hot and fizzled out like ja rule etc

i think it should have been based on consistency and longevity in hop hop not who's hot at present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I never understand why people rag on Wayne and Rick Ross so much. They've put out much better albums than Eminem in the last 8 years or so. Carter III, Dedication II and Deeper Than Rap will be looked back on as classics mark my words.

I never understand why people rag on Wayne and Rick Ross so much. They've put out much better albums than Eminem in the last 8 years or so. Carter III, Dedication II and Deeper Than Rap will be looked back on as classics mark my words.

carter 3 is not a classic by any means in my opinion, i know it done a mill first week but wayne just aint my cup of tea, most of his fan base are teeny boppers, lil wayne mumbles in his raps and took an entirnity to actually get big. for me wayne is the most overrated of them all.

in fairness i do like deeper than rap but its hardly a classic, most classic albums go platnuim and sell hence being called a classic, ross relys too heavily on features, has he ever had a hit song on his own? deeper than rap had 10 features on a 14 cut album, his latest album had teflon don had 15 features on a 11 track album, in the famous words of ed lover come on son ,he aint no top 10 rapper he makes we are the world records.

the whole classic word is thrown around too much in hip hop

I find Jadakiss to be the most out of place selection on the list. To me it feels like they wanted to add a bit of street cred by including him and make it look like they're in touch with things. I mean he's good and all but I don't think he'd ever even cross my mind for a list like this.

Drake's inclusion is the silliest one there. A couple of mixtapes and one studio album in the last 2 years and that merits him a top 10 spot for the last 10 years? Is that not a poor reflection on the genre if he's included? Lloyd Banks and the already mentioned Nelly and Game have contributed more. Souljah Boy has done more than Drake.

As for Jeezy he puts a hell of a lot of material out and he's decent enough. I don't think it's too much of a reach to consider him for something like this. Same for Wayne who has put out some quality stuff and I can't help feeling half the reason he's hated on so much is because he's after getting ridiculously popular.

It's a waste of time picking apart these lists though so I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TheTherapist

Makaveli wrote: »

BET aint relevant. Your some ****in idiot. Its rappers who had an album from 99 onwards. Meaning Jay had an album in 2000s, so did Snoop.

Is it me or does the 21st century begin in 2000 and not 99???

ed lover says his peace from about 4.50 mark

• Advertisement

BET aint relevant. Your some ****in idiot. Its rappers who had an album from 99 onwards. Meaning Jay had an album in 2000s, so did Snoop.

In the first post it says rappers whose careers blew up from 99 on. Not rappers who had albums from 99 on. Well contributed though.
    bet.com wrote:
    BET’s "Top 10 Rappers of the 21st Century" is a fierce, no-holds-barred, hour-long special that reveals the ultimate Top 10 List of the last decade’s hottest rappers, whose careers blew up from 1999 to today.

http://www.bet.com/OnTV/BETShows/top10rappers/top10rappers_about.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'd have Mase before some of them,and he's been rather quiet. I'd discard any T.I albums since Urban Legend. Fabolous is a good rapper and I'd have him in there,ahead of Drake (an accident to have been put in?)

greetings wrote: »
    I'd have Mase before some of them,and he's been rather quiet. I'd discard any T.I albums since Urban Legend. Fabolous is a good rapper and I'd have him in there,ahead of Drake (an accident to have been put in?)

i 100 per cent agree the likes of fab have to be in it, mase was around a while bud think he blew up round 97 with that harlem world album so he's not eligable mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭greenbetty69

how did jadakiss make this list??????

how did jadakiss make this list??????

i know ye because jada has been around a good while with the whole LOX movement and they relesed there debut album in 98 despite being signed by bad boy a good years before there debut.

but it must be just going on rappers solo work because jada's debut album kiss the game goodbye came out around 2001 i think, and the likes of lil wayne were rapping with cash money since 97 with that hot boys group he was in with juvenile.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

Drake wtf? I mean he is an alright rapper but he is not worthy (yet!) of being in a list with Eminem. Also no Game why? Even though kanye is amazing not a lot of people consider him mainstream rap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Well, if your being all pedantic and ****, at least be right.

2000 was the last year of the 20th century, 2001 was the first year of the 21st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

i 100 per cent agree the likes of fab have to be in it, mase was around a while bud think he blew up round 97 with that harlem world album so he's not eligable mate

Didn't even think of the years,you're right.

Advertisement