Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The possible difference between our TD's & other countries ministers held to account

• 17-10-2010 5:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

When you read the below, just think of TD Calley and co - and how they are getting away with raiding the state for their own benefit - and still no accountability.

Three Labour peers who were exposed by The Sunday Times for abusing their expenses will have to repay nearly £200,000
    Baroness Uddin and two other Labour peers face suspension from the House of Lords and will have to repay nearly £200,000 after being found guilty of abusing their expenses, an anti-sleaze committee will say this week. The Lords standards and privileges committee is to recommend the toughest sanctions possible against Baroness Uddin, the first female Muslim peer, Lord Paul, one of Britain’s wealthiest men, and Lord Bhatia, a millionaire Labour donor. All three were exposed after investigations by The Sunday Times.

One authoritative source said the findings could open the way for further police inquiries. “They used the same standard of proof as would be expected in a police investigation,” the source said.
    The committee is expected to recommend that Uddin is suspended for 18 months and repays £125,000 in expenses. She claimed £30,000 a year by saying her main home was an empty flat in Kent while she was living in the family home within four miles of the Lords.

Sound familiar?

Full story: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2875/wwwthesundaytimescoukst.jpg

Direct Link: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Politics/article421263.ece

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

We really need to stop complaining and take some action. If the Brits can hold politicians accountable then we should too. I'm getting sick of these corrupt bastards walking over us :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I think the difference between our expense scandal and Britains is that they have multiple 24 hour news stations and relevant news programmes. All we have is the 6 One news and primetime. Its easy to ignore and get away from it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

Brian Cowen has this under control.
    He is currently organising a drink tank with the rest of his cabinet and all will be dishcushed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The problem with our crowd is that they usually aren't breaking any rules. The rules are the scandal here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Pauleta wrote: »
    I think the difference between our expense scandal and Britains is that they have multiple 24 hour news stations and relevant news programmes. All we have is the 6 One news and primetime. Its easy to ignore and get away from it here.

british ministers have been held accountable for their actions long before 24hr news stations

in ireland i doubt the killing of the first born of every couple in the country would sway some people from their loyal support of a given politician

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

We prefer tribunals , they cost a fortune and better yet, no one will be held accountable for anything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

I wonder if we are more corrupt than other countries or is it just that politicians are held to a higher standard in other nations :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

I wonder if we are more corrupt than other countries or is it just that politicians are held to a higher standard in other nations :confused:

Certainly a higher standard:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1016/chiloc.html

Our lot are simply a bunch of thieving f'cking scum, and there's not a damned thing we can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

kowloon wrote: »
    The problem with our crowd is that they usually aren't breaking any rules. The rules are the scandal here.

While this is true, I'd love to know where these cretins obtain this sense of entitlement? I don't mind paying taxes, I really don't, but when the likes of Ivor ****ing Callely claim it in the way they do....surely there is one, one, politician who can stand up to this. Must be somebody in there wanting to burst the entire bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd prefer if a group went through the expenses like every other company in the country had to do, find the waste and change the rules so it can't happen. Blaming individuals at this stage won't help anything.

They did nothing we weren't all at in every walk of Irish life. Nearly every person, company and organisation around the country is guilty of chronic waste and overspending. Nobody wants to throw any stones and solve the problem because they know it could come back at them.

I'd like to see some sort of amnesty towards expenses so that they could all just put it behind them and plug those holes so we have a more efficient and stable government.

We're not learning from our mistakes we're only using our mistakes as a reason to pick fights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

In fairness, the only country you're talking about is the UK which is generally pretty good at dealing with political scandals/corruption/incompetence. Italy, Spain, Portugal, France and Greece are all just as guilty as we are to be honest.

Advertisement