Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend hdmi graphics card and tv tuner card

Options
  • 17-10-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I currently have a
    dell vostro 200 which is barely used. I'd like to use it as a htpc. There's a good 7.1 sound card in it. It's running vista with 3gb ram and a 250gb hard drive (i'll upgrade this last). I'd like to know what graphics card to buy (i don't plan to play any games), hdmi out is my only must. Also, i'd like a tv tuner card with the option to add 2 or 3 feeds from my lnb (will begin with one but will probably add more soon). I'm happy to buy used or new, just am not sure what i need, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

For graphics card you can simply pick the cheapest modern card poissible with a HDMI-out and you're sorted. TV card... ain't so simple :o:o

You see, most inexpensive DVB-S (S as in "Satellite" ;)) cards (€25+) only have the one tuner, twin-LNB-tuner cards are vastly more expensive (€130+) and thin on the ground, and four-LNB-tuner cards are pricier still (over €160). Getting three cheap cards, while the cheapest and easiest option, requires three spare PCI slots and can then be very finicky and fiddly to use together :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Interesting, I think I'll just go with the single line in so, given that I'm new to the concept of routing sat through my PC. If I like it, I'll upgrade in the future, might look at upgrading the pc too. Any recommendations on where is good to buy both items, komplett, ebay, amazon?

Advertisement