Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any options open to me?

• 17-10-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭

I have been unemployed for about 18 months i applied for the BTEA but it took 5 months for the social welfare to come back with a refusal (i have an old qualification that is higher) in this time i got a place in college and paid the registration and started the course. I have asked for a review but that was over 1 month ago and im getting €0.

The day i started they suspended my social welfare payment.
    I cant get the VEC grant for the same reason
    I went to the community welfare officer and they say im barred from getting a payment from them as im a full time student.
    I asked about a medical card and i was told as i receive €0 euros from the social welfare im not entitled to it, i need to be getting some money from them :confused: Bizarre someone worse off doesn't qualify.

I've gone to the SVP and they said they may be able to help with the registration fee but that's about all.

I've no income what so ever, and a mortgage and bills going out every week. Which isn't sustainable.

Its hard to understand that if you try to do something good with your life. But not a surprise after dealing with the welfare system for over a year.

Is there any option i haven't tried looking at ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

There's no silver bullet. The rules for BTEA are pretty clear tbh.

Your Options:
    • Apply for a grant. €65 a week i think, better than nothing. I'm not sure if you left it too late though.
    • Another option is to apply for a higher course than what you're doing so that you qualify for BTEA.
    • Get a part time job if you can find something.
    • Or leave college and sign on Jobseekers allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    There's no silver bullet. The rules for BTEA are pretty clear tbh.

Your Options:
    • Apply for a grant. €65 a week i think, better than nothing. I'm not sure if you left it too late though.
    • Another option is to apply for a higher course than what you're doing so that you qualify for BTEA.
    • Get a part time job if you can find something.
    • Or leave college and sign on Jobseekers allowance.
    Cheers for the response

The social welfare told me to apply for the BTEA as my qualification was 10 years old and would not be considered, then they used that to block my application.

I cant get the grant for the same reason.
    I cant apply for a higher course now as the courses started 6 weeks ago and if my qualification i have is worthless a higher qualification in the same field would be even more worthless.
    I have been trying to find a part tiem job but thats made even harder for a guy in his 30's who can only work a hand full of hours compared to some one on the dole who is available for 40 hours a week.

Seems like the last option is the only one open to me. Really is stupid that they will pay me 196 euro a week to sit at home for the next 5-10 years but wont pay me 196 a week to go to college and walk into a job in 6 months time !

Advertisement