Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disk image to 160k SSDD 5 1/4 inch floppy?

• 17-10-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I have a disk image that I want to write to a 160k Single Side Double Density 5.25" floppy.

Is anyone set up to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Do you need to boot/use the image on a physical system?

I normally use VMWare and/or WinImage or mount under linux to access floppy .img files.
    I have a disk image that I want to write to a 160k Single Side Double Density 5.25" floppy.

Is anyone set up to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

I'm repairing an IBM PC 5150 and have the image of an early DOS, so yes I want to use it on a physical machine.

I've tried to boot under VMWare and VirtualBox, no go. However, using Flopper in VirtualBox it boots up to an A> prompt and chkdsk reports forty files and half of which are .bas files including Bill Gates's DONKEY.

OK, I've managed to put the DOS 1.00 160k image on a 720k 3.5" floppy. It boots on my PS/1 486SX 20MHz machine. It's CHKDSK shows it's massive number of files, 40.

About half of which are games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Why the interest in doing this? (just curious)

Khannie wrote: »
    Why the interest in doing this? (just curious)

A few years ago, I decided I'd buy an IBM PC 5150 and try to get it working. My father is probably turning in his grave at the thought of me buying IBM stuff. He worked for ICL which started out as the British Tabulating Machine Company. IBM was considered the enemy. He joined during the War or as we in Ireland so quaintly call it, "the Emergency". He worked in Letchworth which had some connection to Bletchley Park of Alan Turing and Enigma fame.

In the Sixties, I remember seeing here a machine about as big as a four-wheeler and all it did was print words on the top line of punched cards.

Why the interest? It was a few years ago, maybe around the time of the PC's 25th anniversary, that the idea came to me, but I'm not sure. It might have been, "If you build it, they will come" :)

Also I want to show my nephews what it was like in the "olden days". Also to play DONKEY which was coded by Bill Gates himself.

I now have to try to put the image on a SSDD 5.25" floppy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you can't find another way, and if they're some use, I can get some never-used 5.25 disks with DOS 5.something on, they came with a 386 laptop. But they are in UK, hopefully I'll go there soonish. PM me if you want them.

[edit]I dont know what spec the disks are e.g. sides/density

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If you can't find another way, and if they're some use, I can get some never-used 5.25 disks with DOS 5.something on, they came with a 386 laptop. But they are in UK, hopefully I'll go there soonish. PM me if you want them.

[edit]I dont know what spec the disks are e.g. sides/density

That would be great. There's two full height 5.25" floppy drives. I don't know what sides/densities they are. Part of the problem is having a DOS 5.25" disk to try and make a disk from the 160k image. I'm dont think the 5150 add in floppy controller card supports 3.5" drives .

Advertisement