Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahhh need some help just found kitten

Options
  • 17-10-2010 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi all,

One of the neighbours just found a kitten and asked if we would take it because their dog would kill it. Just collected it there about half an hour ago, very very quite, sleepy, won't eat, would lick milk from my finger but that was nothing at all, she did make a little poo too. She seems to be walking kind of funny too well not really walking, only one or two paws seem strong. I have absolutely no idea how old it is! Any suggestions? Is it ok, am I being paranoid? What sort of food do you give a cat this small? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Poor wee thing.

OP you need to get that kitten to a vet asap - right now if possible. In the meantime try to keep it warm and hydrated - use water & not cows milk. Cows milk is bad for kittens.

Whereabouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

same as above, please get to vet asap. def do not give it cows milk. How old do you think it is? If the eyes are still blue it is prob still very young and should be on a substitude milk. well done for taking kitty in. lets know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

hadook wrote: »
    Poor wee thing.

OP you need to get that kitten to a vet asap - right now if possible. In the meantime try to keep it warm and hydrated - use water & not cows milk. Cows milk is bad for kittens.

Whereabouts are you?

What does "OP" mean?

And I was about to say the thing about cow's milk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭babs.jones

My Friend lost a kitten in Naas r u from round there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

tis sleeping away a lot, going to bring it to the vet in the morning asap. We think someone might have thrown it out of a car because it can't really walk, with its back two legs, it seems healthy otherwise, just been to tesco and got some cat milk, and put it in a babys bottle and it had a bit of that,

• Advertisement

nope down in tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The cat milk will be ok for now until you can get her to the vets, the vets should stock a kitten formula. Sometimes a little clear syringe (chemists have them the ones with no needle in) is easier to feed them with.
    Good on you for taking the kitten in, let us know what the vets think.
    The legs could be wonky due to the kitten being so young or some cats are so in bred they have problems but kittens can bounce back and heal well so it's a matter of time.

cottagerescue.ie are based in Tipp. they might be able to help in rehoming the kitten once the kit. is old enough by putting pics. up on their website i.e. if you need to find a home eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

mtb_kng wrote: »
    What does "OP" mean?

Original poster :-)

did a bit of research and we think it is about 1 month old, will let ye know how i get on in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

Hi Ashlinggnilsia,

Like the others said, well done for taking it in. I'm based in Tipp myself. Have just taken in a tiny kitten myself. Landed out in our yard a few days ago, took us almost 2 days to capture him. Have quite a bit of experience with cats and kittens so if you need any advice feel free to PM me or whatever. I know a great vets also, depending on what part of Tipp you're in.

Good Luck. :)

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Kitten is about 4-5 weeks old, vet said it has a sore hip, probably got a belt with something or off something, said it should recover itself because its still small, must go for a check up in about 3 weeks and see how the leg is doing and get some more vacinations, just had worms and flea vac for the minute. Tis up home now all comfy and cosy and hopefully none of the other cats will get at it. Will let ye all know how it is when i get home, definitly alot perkier today. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

That's great.
    I have taken in a few kittens and found the royal canin baby cat a great food, from about 4 weeks they can eat a bit. Did the vet give you a replacement milk? Even another 3 weeks would help build it up.
    Keep an eye on the eyes and ears, give them a wipe with a wet piece of cotton wool or something soft, at that age they need help to clean themselves. A rub all over with a damp facecloth makes them vey happy in my experience, and keeps them clean. It'll probably climb into the bowl for the food at first so it'll need it.:D
    Make sure the kitten has lots of fresh water and no cows milk.
    At this age you should get a litter tray and the kitten will use it once you show it(maybe without your help), just make the motions with its paws, digging and scraping the litter.
    Best of luck, and so nice of you to take it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Hi all,

Kitten is about 4-5 weeks old, vet said it has a sore hip, probably got a belt with something or off something, said it should recover itself because its still small, must go for a check up in about 3 weeks and see how the leg is doing and get some more vacinations, just had worms and flea vac for the minute. Tis up home now all comfy and cosy and hopefully none of the other cats will get at it. Will let ye all know how it is when i get home, definitly alot perkier today. :D

Good to know it found a good home!

Pic, please.... it's Monday morning and I need something to go "awwwww" at! ;)

Kitty.jpg

Hopefully that worked. Not quite sure how to upload a pic on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Kitty.jpg

Awww... worked for me :)

Is it a he or a she?

I hope it'll recover quickly... We took two of ours to the vet last week, the cat hospital in Glanmire, and they had a kitten in for observation. Apparently, the little one had a bad fall, so they kept him in overnight to see how his limp would develop. By the morning, he was already busy constructing a fortress out of his food bowl and the old blanket he had in his little "room".
    Absolutely adorable, and bones made from rubber. I hope yours will be just as well just as quickly :)

Kitty.jpg

awwwwwwwwwwwww

What a little legend

edit: Just noticed it's a kitler :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

So frickin adorable.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Gorgeous little kitten, glad the fluffball found you.

Advertisement