Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin

Options
  • 17-10-2010 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I am moving to Dublin from Limerick around the end of November. The thing is I dont really know Dublin that well. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a safe area to live. I am hoping to be able to cycle into work (near Trinity college). I will be working until late some nights. Anyone have any ideas?:confused: Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Hi LL,Don't be too worried.Dublin is a great city.Do you have any friends or work colleges in town?Local knowledge is always more assuring.Have you any idea where you may be looking,I assume to rent.There are quite a lot of apartment for rent in or near the city centre.More info the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LimerickLily

No dont really know anybody. Any area within cycling or even walking distance to Trinity college would be fine. Thanks for the reply btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

We could do with some more information on the type of house you want?

Are you looking to rent a room, buy an apartment, flat-share etc??
    Would you be willing to commute at all?

A list of nice areas all within cycling distance of Trinity are Donnybrook, Ballsbridge, Irishtown, Sandymount, Grand Canal Dock Area, Ranelagh, Rathmines, most of Christchurch (walking distance really), Kilmainham, Drumcondra, Phibsborough, parts of Stoneybatter etc. There's a few to be going along with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

If cycling is not a top priority, the luas goes right up to Sandyford from Stephens Green which is an 5-8 minute walk to TCD...so, if you get out a map and follow the luas line, you'll find a load of good places- Dundrum has plenty of houses/appartments, has the shopping centre and loads of restaurants etc..it's approx 15 minutes on the luas to Stephens green .....dundrum is 4 miles from TCD and a reasonably straightforward cycle...the bike is obviously important to you....if you got a fold up bike like many do, you would have the entire dart line at your disposal from Bray/Greystones to Howth...

Thanks for the advice Cicero. Being able to cycle to and from work would be the ideal but not essential. I will look into the Luas line like you said. Thanks again.:)

• Advertisement

Sorry Having Craic, I totally missed your post:o. Just to fill in, I am going to be working in a pub and I'm trying to save up for college next September so my budget is pretty low. I'm just looking for a room to rent, a single room would do. I was hoping not to have to pay more than 450 a month, that would be my absolute limit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Sorry Having Craic, I totally missed your post:o. Just to fill in, I am going to be working in a pub and I'm trying to save up for college next September so my budget is pretty low. I'm just looking for a room to rent, a single room would do. I was hoping not to have to pay more than 450 a month, that would be my absolute limit!

Ah I reckon you could rent a room for anywhere between 370-450 in a pretty nice area easily enough :D. Have a look at all the ones I listed if you want to save on commuting costs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Keep in mind Dublin has only a few flat streets so cycling can get tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Nolanger wrote: »

What? I've cycled for years and been grateful for Dublin's flatness. The only hill I can think of within 3 miles of the city centre is from St Patrick's up to Christchurch and down to the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Ranelagh is a 25 minute walk or a 10 minute cycle to Trinity. When the weather is truly bad, there are 2 Luas stops on the green line nearby (Ranelagh and Beechwood).

Rooms for rent in the area are available for 100-130/week. The places I saw that were 100/week were generally in shared houses; 120-30/week was for a large bedsit with a hall bathroom.

It's a nice area and very safe (even coming home late), with a good number of shops, pubs and cafes.

• Advertisement

The only hill I can think of within 3 miles of the city centre is from St Patrick's up to Christchurch and down to the river.
    Maybe, but none of the streets in the city centre are flat. They just look it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Maybe, but none of the streets in the city centre are flat. They just look it!

They are flat, Jaysus, there are couriers going around on fixies for fooks sake. I couriered in the city, it's mostly flat, the wind will get you more than the inclines they are that small.

It's an illusion. Every street in the city centre slopes up or down slightly.

slightly.

Ever so slightly. Get some air in your lungs, grip the bars, head down, arse off the saddle and peddle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

orly?

Right, name one truly flat street in Dublin city centre and I'll check it out?

Grow up street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Winetavern Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Right, name one truly flat street in Dublin city centre and I'll check it out?

pretty much all of them, so too many to name.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

@nolanger
    Nassua St.
    O'Connell St.
    Pearse St.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

+1 for Ranelagh

Nice spot. Lived there for a year when I was doing the leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

It's an illusion. Every street in the city centre slopes up or down slightly.

Up or down eh? Which hills only slope up? They are the toughies!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

Ranelagh, definitely. If going for Rathmines, I recommend avoiding the houses directly on the Upper and Lower Rathmines road. I viewed a few of them and they were falling apart with rot. Also Leeson Street while not UNSAFE to cycle at night is unnerving to walk, while the roads leading to Ranelagh are quiet but not deserted, and Rathmines is nearby enough to it to do your groceries there.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Milltown and Clonskeagh are also two nice safe areas to think of. As they are a little further out than Ranelagh, you generally get more for your money when renting. Milltown has a luas stop and although the bus service running through Clonskeagh is not great( serviced by the no. 11 that only comes once an hour), it is beside UCD which has the very regular 46A service going past it into town, plus many more bus routes. However Ranelagh has a great village full of cafes,resteraunts and pubs, which is something lacking in Clonskeagh and Milltown. In terms of cycling, Clonskeagh/Milltown are less than 10 mins cycle to Ranelagh, so would be handy for getting to Trinity also.

Advertisement