Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Intro Books?

Options
  • 17-10-2010 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Hi biologists,

I am interested in learning about biology and was wondering if any of you could direct me towards some books to get me started. I have done science in school but haven't needed to think about it since (apart from computer science). I'm sure there are many different facets of biology. I suppose I could read something like an idiots guide to biology or something. I really want to learn from the beginning. I am considering a career change and would like to see if biology interests me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Walrus

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

There are lots of interesting aspects of biology that can be found in the popular science section of a bookshop. Have a nose off a few titles and see what takes your fancy.
    Pop biology I have enjoyed include
    Toxin by alistair lax (it's about the wonderful toxins bacteria produce)
    Power, Sex, Suicide - Mitochondria and the meaning of life by Nick Lane (about mitochondria (the powerhouse of the cell) and their many interesting functions and theories on their origin in the eukaryotic cell)
    Genome- Matt Ridley (a good introduction to genetics, and what it's all about (though it may be a little dated at this stage, i think i read it ten years ago when i was still in school)

Im sure i could recommend more if i had more books up in dublin with me to nose at. Or if i was stood in a book shop looking at the books :) Admittedly i tend towards pop maths and pop physics as I study biology/chemistry full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I'd add The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature also by Matt Ridley
    The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins is also a good introduction to evolutionary biology.
    In terms of textbooks, Biology by Campbell and Reece served me well through my undergraduate years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I plumped for Biology by Campbell and Reece. The girl in the bookstore also recommended it. She read it for personal interest also. £50 it cost. Better be worth it!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Walrus

Just thought I'd mention, you should take a look at Campbell and Reece's online resources, if you bought the book new there should be a password for it in there. Being one who enjoys videos and crazily easy quizzes, I think it's worth setting up a username for. It also has the entire book online so you can search for a topic without getting caught up in the big bad real world index.

Advertisement