Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV advice needed!

• 17-10-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi,

I have two questions I'd like help with....

1) Can someone recommend a good 42" TV for 500 - 600 euro (inc del)

2) I hope to wall mount the TV over the fireplace, is there any easy way of managing the cables and connections? I assume its better to have all the connections at the sides/bottom, but are there any easy ways to manage the cables or is the best thing to do just to drop the cables to the mantle piece and run them from there to my TV point?

Thanks in advance for the help :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

i have my cables coming down from the attic covered with conduit for my tv over the fire place . the only problem i had was getting cable long enough . its tidy and mess free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭JDxtra

TVs over fireplace = neck strain when sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭yak

am a *small* bit afraid of that alright JD but dont really have an option... if i want anything bigger than about 30" thats where it has to go...

Galway freak did you bring cables from sky/ntl box up through the wall to the attic and then down, or are you just running analogue with no box?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭RTT

Hi, I have just mounted my Samsung 50inch over the fireplace and had the same problem as yourself. Firstly I bought the bracket for €60 in Power City. Its a Lloytron 32-60 inch with a tilt on it so you can tilt it down towards you and not strain your neck when watching the tv.

I didn't want any wires showing so I ran power from a socket to the left of the fireplace under the floor boards and up the chimney breast behind the plasterboard and now have a double socket behind my tv.

I'm placing my UPC box, dvd player, sat receiver and Wiii on a wall mounted shelf to the left of the fireplace and I drilled diagonally across to run the wires through the hole. Be sure to run maybe two scarts, 2/3 HDMI cables, coax and any other wires you'd need.

I have my UPC point to the left of the fireplace on the wall and didn't want to run it with the electrical cable as I heard it can call interference with the signal so I will run the coax along the skirting board (behind a radiator) and up the wall in narrow trunking to the back of the box.

I don't have any pics to show you yet but I can take some when I'm fully finished and you'll see what I mean.

It meant I had to make a few small holes in the plasterboard (maybe just a bit bigger than a €2 coin to run rods to draw the cable up) but I will fill these in with filler, sand them down and repaint.

Hope this is of some help. Try google images and type in wall mounted tv and you'll get some more ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭yak

Thanks for all that RTT - was thinking of something along those lines alright but was trying to avoid the double cable run! I don't have a radiator to hide the second cable :-(

Would be great if you could PM or mail me photos if you don't want to post them here.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭RTT

No bother at all. Yeah I'll take some pics when it is all finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Hi,

I got this a couple of days ago and am very pleased with it..

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42LD45

Advertisement