Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband Carrigans/St Johnston Area

Options
  • 17-10-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Guys

After having a total nightmare with NWE in Derry, I've decided to find an alternative. Can anyone recommend a ISP in the area mentioned? I'm way up on a hill, but I can get 3mb with NWE - it's just down 50% of the time & totally useless

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

FreddyinC wrote: »
    Hi Guys

After having a total nightmare with NWE in Derry, I've decided to find an alternative. Can anyone recommend a ISP in the area mentioned? I'm way up on a hill, but I can get 3mb with NWE - it's just down 50% of the time & totally useless

thanks!

Do you not get fixed line BB? I know you can get Eircom up the long lane which is about as far away and up the hill as you can get!

I do know someone else who lives on the St.Johnson side of carrigans and they went into the carphone warehouse in derry got a bill pay dongle and can get sometimes up to 5MB speed, they got a free laptop with the offer too, I'll ask them next weekend if i see them to find out which company and if they needed a northern address but i dont think they did....

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

o2 mobile broadband
    unlimited downloads
    e20 per month

normally works good in this area

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Seanog69

FreddyinC wrote: »
    Hi Guys

thanks!

You're not the only one. I am so disappointed with the AWFUL service I have been getting from NWE. And we're paying top dollar for this rubbish service too compared to other broadband providers. They have been on and off the air since last weekend at my location near St Johnston. And a few of my neighbours are the same. I know NWEWN were saying they have now connected their service to some other provider ( somehow associated with this "project Kelvin" mystery) and they were off air over the weekend 9/10 October for the switchover. Since then, my broadband has been cutting out frequently, going off air and the connection speed I'm getting when it's on is absolute rubbish -about 15 - 25 kps and I'm paying for 1meg. Forget Youtube or even opening a photo in an email. It's like dial-up all over again.

Roll on the day that Eircom finally connects our exchange to the broadband network .I'll be outa NWEWN in a heartbeat and I'll cancel my direct debit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FreddyinC

I've just been into the 3 store in Letterkenny, and purchased a 7mb mobile broadband modem - it's working terrific and is 26 euro a month. The speeds are incredible in comparison (650kbs!!!!!!)

Result! Cya later NWE

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Seanog69

It's been a while since this thread was last updated, but to bring it up to speed ( no pun intended........) I followed the lead given by FreddyinC and signed up to the 3 network too. I was getting great service, up to 5 and even 6 meg download speeds. I can see the 3 transmitter clearly from my front window, you could almost throw a stone at it.. Now, after two years with 3 ie, contention issues have become a real problem. Download speeds have fallen drastically since this repeater was fired up, and now at peak periods (typically 4.00 pm to 01.00 am - and just forget about it at weekends) you'd be lucky to get half a meg download speeds. In the middle of the night like 3.00 am it's back up to 5 meg again, so it's clearly a case of too many snouts in the trough. £ have the contract from the Irish government to operate the National Broadband scheme in broadband deprived areas, but they are clearly ripping the p*** out of it in Donegal.
    Greedy 3 I think, signing up everybody that applies without upgrading the capacity to deal with it all. And their customer service is typical 3rd rate Asian service. Contract up and I'm gone, back to square one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement