Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless alarm

Options
  • 17-10-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

hi
    looking for wireless alarm 3 bed detached with steel shed
    front door, rear entrance is french door,6 downstais opening windows
    5 velux ,upstairs 3 opening windows looking for perimeter protection,pet friendly pir ,motion sensors downstairs contact upstairs,have been recommended visonic powermax ? any suggestions of manufacturer ,cost and installer much appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

baz69 wrote: »
    hi
    looking for wireless alarm 3 bed detached with steel shed
    front door, rear entrance is french door,6 downstais opening windows
    5 velux ,upstairs 3 opening windows looking for perimeter protection,pet friendly pir ,motion sensors downstairs contact upstairs,have been recommended visonic powermax ? any suggestions of manufacturer ,cost and installer much appreciated thanks

The powermax complete is a good system, it wont cost you as much as other wire free brands. Like the HKC it has a wire free external bell plus the keypad plus internal bell are built into the panel. It also has the two way voice option for using to listen plus talk in to your home through the alarm. It will also give you remote access to the alarm over your land line. Shop around is your best bet, get a few quotes and match same with same. The panel has 28 zones so all that you need can be covered. Here is a link to there site so you can have a look at the complete system.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭baz69

thanks for reply ,which other quality system would you recommend,and am i right in saying shock sensors downstairs contact upstairs do velux need them ,hkc ,signet ,do siemens do one ? thanks

baz69 wrote: »
    thanks for reply ,which other quality system would you recommend,and am i right in saying shock sensors downstairs contact upstairs do velux need them ,hkc ,signet ,do siemens do one ? thanks

The visonic would be the cheapest out of all the systems. I would use the HKC wireless more so than the other system as there devices are two way, secure keyfobs, wire free external bell plus internal bell. Sleep mode on the system is 20 seconds. It is more expensive than the powermax. I would install it with shocks downstairs plus contacts if needed. Upstairs I would cover any accessible windows plus a pir in the hall and landing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Do you have a budget in mind Baz69?
    As Altor said Powermax would be the cheapest . It would also be the easiest if you are looking at a self install.
    HKC would be good also.
    If money is no issue & you would like a bigger challange re self install look at the SigNET220 with built in web server for remote access from any web browser. Full feature X10 control for home automation & door access.
    It also has the ability to mix wired & wireless if required.
    You can get all the SigNET brochures here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

^^What he said^^
    Siemens do a rebranded Signet. The Signet 100 is also worth a look.
    Hkc wouldn't be my first choice either

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭UrsusMaritimus

Hi,

Don't mean to thread hijack, i'm looking for a wireless alarm for my mothers house to self install.

5 bed house, extension on the back which includes a second hallway, stairs & landing, this is the entrance used in most in the house, keypad will be here.

Due to the size of the windows in the house most are double opening, one either side. The kitchen has three windows alone to open so i was thinking i'd be better off using one PIR instead? The reason i ask is i have been quoted the same price for PIR's and window sensors for a HKC system.

For the system i was thinking:
    2x Contact Sensor - Front & Back Doors
    6x PIR's - Back Landing, Kitchen, Sitting Room, Dining Room, Front Hall and Front Landing (accessible from garage roof)
    Dialer and Keyfob.
    Price for parts is ~900, does this sound right?

Since my mum is by herself she normally comes in the front door just at night to save going down the side of the house, would a keyfob work for arming /disarming the system from the front of the house or is there a distance requirement? Do they beep to acknowledge the system is disarmed? Or would i be better off adding a second keypad?

Apologises for all the questions, any recommendations greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Visonic Powermax Complete would be within that price range & would be ideal for a self install.

Hi koolkid,

With the visonic is it an all in one solution as regards base unit and keypad? from looking at the info on the PowerMax website it is, I don't really want to have to go chasing walls do get power and phone to it, it was an attraction of the HKC unit that i could locate the main control panel else where.

Would i be right to use PIR's in place of window sensors?

Yes it is the one unit. But you can put it up out of the way & use a wireless keypad and/or wireless key fobs.

• Advertisement

Stupid me, thanks. What is the range on the fobs? Do they beep etc to give indication the alarm has been activated and deactivated etc?

Any suppliers of these around limerick?

Thanks for the help

The Fobs should work no problem from any door in the house.
    You can have audiable confirmation , you can also havo voice confirmation from the panel. The star key on the remote also get the panel to report status . If ready to arm or zones open ,faults etc.

Don't know suppliers around Limerick off hand.
    If you having trouble sourcings PM me & I will send you their reps number.

sound thanks, koolkid

One last question and i should be done, what would be the advantages of the Visonic system over the HKC?

One last question and i should be done, what would be the advantages of the Visonic system over the HKC?

Cheaper & easier to install. But Just as reliable.
    If HKC is in your budget take a look at the SigNET . Much more features for the same price IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

The Visonic Power max is a one way communication system. The HKC Securewave is a 2 way wireless system . There are more RF zones on the secure wave and has more features. The main difference is that there is no sleep time on the RF devices on the HKC and there is on the Visonic.

Does the lack of "sleep time" reduce the battery life by much, how long should abtteris in a PIR last, a year or two?

I don't see the number of RF devices being an issue.
    Visonic Powermax can have 28 wireless zones.
    That would be plenty.
    Devices that don't sleep reduce battery life by about 30%.
    With Visonic you get about 3 years.So expect around 2 years on HKC.

There is sleep mode on the HKC wirefree. Its 20 seconds, this compared to visonics 180 seconds is a big deal if your installing motion detectors in your home. The keyfob off the HKC can be set up for secure unsetting. This means you have to enter your code to unset the alarm. More secure than just pressing a button to disarm the alarm. Battery life on the sensors for both system are the same. up to 3 years. The manufacturer recommends replacing the batteries every two years to be on the safe side.

If money allows, I would install the HKC over the visonic. The visonic is a very good system in its own right also. You can have remote access to the alarm over the land line, plus if you get a call from the system when the alarm activates you can press 6 to give you two way voice to the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

koolkid wrote: »
    I don't see the number of RF devices being an issue.
    Visonic Powermax can have 28 wireless zones.
    That would be plenty.
    Devices that don't sleep reduce battery life by about 30%.
    With Visonic you get about 3 years.So expect around 2 years on HKC.

That is not correct. A one way system like a Visonic send burst of 30 signals when the device is triggered then goes into a sleep mode of between 3-5 min depending on the panel.

A two way system polls to the panel every 20 seconds in an unset state and every 4 min in a set state.

Take this for example of 1 activation every 4min for a RF PIR.

[Visonic]

One direction

( 15 activation per hour X 30 signals X 24 hours = 10,800 signals per day.)

[HKC]

Two way unset

( 3 polls every min X 60min X 24hours = 4,320 signals per day)

Two way Set

( 4min X 15 per hour X24hours = 360 signals per day)

With a two way wireless system you actually save on Batteries.
    Another advantage of the HKC system is that all the batteries are the same type which is handy when your changing you dont need different battery types.

• Advertisement

Well lads,

Thanks for all the info, having looked at prices there is not a huge amount in it and since the HKC is Irish made (assembled?) i'll do my bit and keep it local.
    Not overly worried about batteries if they last that long, i was thinking a yearly change would be needed.

Thanks.

Cadzer wrote: »
    That is not correct. A one way system like a Visonic send burst of 30 signals when the device is triggered then goes into a sleep mode of between 3-5 min depending on the panel.

A two way system polls to the panel every 20 seconds in an unset state and every 4 min in a set state.

Take this for example of 1 activation every 4min for a RF PIR.

[Visonic]

One direction

( 15 activation per hour X 30 signals X 24 hours = 10,800 signals per day.)

[HKC]

Two way unset

( 3 polls every min X 60min X 24hours = 4,320 signals per day)

Two way Set

( 4min X 15 per hour X24hours = 360 signals per day)

With a two way wireless system you actually save on Batteries.
    Another advantage of the HKC system is that all the batteries are the same type which is handy when your changing you dont need different battery types.
    Im not doing the maths. I'm basing on my own experiences.:)

Hi All,

I got HKC PIR's but they don't come with wall brackets, the supplier i got said HKC don't supply them, to me this seems strange, do they need to be mounted flat on the walls? Or can i get a bracket to mount them and allow them be pointed in a certain direction.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You mount the pir straight to the wall. There are knock out holes on the back of the unit, there's also knock outs on the side of the unit which is bevelled at 45 degrees to allow you mount it in a corner.

there's also knock outs on the side of the unit which is bevelled at 45 degrees to allow you mount it in a corner.

Good man, had not spotted these, loosing it so I am.

You are a life saver, was starting to get really pissed off. No need now, off for a beer. :D

Hi All,

I got HKC PIR's but they don't come with wall brackets, the supplier i got said HKC don't supply them, to me this seems strange, do they need to be mounted flat on the walls? Or can i get a bracket to mount them and allow them be pointed in a certain direction.

Thanks

If they are wire free pirs be careful of the tamper screw knock out.

so avoid using this knock out then?

No, this needs to be used as it can be pulled off the wall with no tamper warning. Just be careful as this will cause a tamper on the pir if not done correctly.

Advertisement