Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals sold at Sunday Market

Options
  • 17-10-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

hey guys

just need your view on this. today i went to a market with my mam and i scene in separate stalls for sale, 2 terrified kittens in a cage, 2 puppies in a cage(130 each), 2 bunnies and one 'mini jack Russel' it was just a jack Russel(100 euro), puppy was to big to be miniature and he was in a wash basket with food and water being sold.

is this aloud? like is this legal. i felt really sorry for all of them. let me know your views

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

As far as I'm aware this is unfortunately perfectly legal. I went through Kenmare on market day this year and nearly cried at the animals for sale and the state they were in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As far as I know it's illegal to sell animals like that now, have you contact the nearest rescue organisation to let them know what's going on.
    There's a list of the on irishanimals.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

but has that breeding law been passed? shouldnt that really prevent this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Pure little Jack Russell :( I would never be able to sell animals no matter how much they would fetch for as long as they go to a nice home that's enough for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Im not 100% on this but I think it's down to the specific market if they allow the sale of pets. Again don't quote me as Im probably wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

same at our market on a sat. 1st week it opened it had little rottie for sale for €250, they looked no more than 5 weeks old. Last week GSD for €130 and this week kittens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I thought selling animals like this was illegal, however as another poster said, maybe down to the individual market. All the same I would call animal welfare or the dog warden or the guards or someone (probably for all the good it will do!) This is one of the reasons I have to avoid markets and 'family days out' type places, I can't bear seeing these sorry looking pups, kittens etc being sold out of the back of a car.

i am such an animal lover and it broke my heart seeing this, especially the nervous kittens huddled together for dear life!!! i was saying to the partner i hope that someone bought them as a pair cause id say the other one would die without the support of the other !!!!

im fostering a kitten for the dspca at the moment, he has to get a shot on thursday so i will query this with them while up there.

the jack russel puppie i say was 6-10 weeks old it was a big puppy. it was being sold by travellers which i just got the feeling it might of been robbed! the pup was so friendly!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No, unfortunately its not illegal to sell pups like this:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Maybe I've misunderstood the act, but I've alway regarded this act in the Statute Book to include Sunday Markets, Car Boot Sales etc...

PART V REGULATION OF SALE OF PET ANIMALS

Pets not to be sold in any public place.

23.—If any person carries on in a public place the business of selling animals as pets he shall be guilty of an offence under this Part.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1965/en/act/pub/0010/sec0023.html#zza10y1965s23

If I have misunderstood it, would anybody be so good as to clarify to me what it does mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Maybe I've misunderstood the act, but I've alway regarded this act in the Statute Book to include Sunday Markets, Car Boot Sales etc...

PART V REGULATION OF SALE OF PET ANIMALS

Pets not to be sold in any public place.

23.—If any person carries on in a public place the business of selling animals as pets he shall be guilty of an offence under this Part.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1965/en/act/pub/0010/sec0023.html#zza10y1965s23

If I have misunderstood it, would anybody be so good as to clarify to me what it does mean?

I'm no legal expert but that seems pretty black and white to me.
    I'd definitely report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

If you could print the wording and go back to that market and show it to them. Maybe they might go away.
    If they are still there later on...report them.

I didnt know this is actually happening here nowadays :mad:

i dont go to the sunday markets that much but this is the first time i have scene this!!!! mam went to the same market the week before with my sister and the same thing was going on!!!

as i said i am fostering a kitten who needs to be brought in for a shot on thursday i will query this with them

like what gets me is that the garda raids these markets for illegal fireworks, dvds, cds, cigarettes that are being sold. would you not think that if this is law they would take them?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sadly this goes on all over Ireland. A market we are leaving now has hens and rabbits for sale in tiny cages. And we know that the Bantry one sells puppies. Not going there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Thedogspyjamas

I wish I had a friend who was a lawyer because I would have them draft me up a legal document that I could hand to these creitons who sell animals at markets to let them what they are doing is wrong. But how can you get through to these sorts of people? From what i have heard, some of these poor animals have been stolen from houses. Ireland is the worst country in europe for animal abuse. that's a sad fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I wish I had a friend who was a lawyer because I would have them draft me up a legal document that I could hand to these creitons who sell animals at markets to let them what they are doing is wrong. But how can you get through to these sorts of people? From what i have heard, some of these poor animals have been stolen from houses. Ireland is the worst country in europe for animal abuse. that's a sad fact.

Yes; there was some official statement to that effect today. ( Caught a mention of it so please don't ask for exact source.

Please, take care fronting up to these folk in a market. Market folk can be very clannish. Spoken from experience :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I asked a young fella at last years Monivea summer fate/fair thing, who was selling pups out of the back of his car 'are you going to get your dog spayed now she's had pups' (trying my best to be pleasant and not rude), he looked at me and said 'get a spade???', he had never even HEARD the word 'spayed' before much less thought of doing it for his dog. I explained but he looked at me like I was mad (I'm pretty sure the London accent never helps me in these situations)

Advertisement