Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Getting worse??

• 17-10-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

hi folks

just wondering if anyone around the Santry area or d9 is having problems with their broadband??

i have the 30mb bb from NTL and it has been terrible all day and customer service is about as helpful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

speeds are only between 7 - 9 mb with horrific ping.

also this seems to be a regular occurrence on a Sunday evening when nearly every second weekend it seems to just die for no reason..

any ideas greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Same story here in Kilbarrack, the ping is sh*te, my phone is all over the place with dropped calls etc.

That has been a recurring issue for the last couple of Sunday nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Same in D15 (Mulhuddart). Absolutely horrible since around 5pm. What happened ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Yep same here im in swords,unable to play the xbox on it as it's to bad just keeps disconnecting me from the server

Im unable to get a reading on any speed test site it gives me crazy sppeds of 90 or over a 100mb guy in CS said i was getting a good 13mb speed but i can never verifiey this, i dont think im getting more than 5 meg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RazorSharp

In D9 myself, download speeds are ok but web pages seem slow to react, also cant get a game going on xbox live properly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

god only knows whats wrong with it....

they have a shower of dopes working in the tech department as well.

i rang them one day to see why the bb was down and asked them were they doing work on it or what and was told they were doing nothing to it, it was working fine and it must have been my router...

3 hours later i figured out it was the upc's dns were down and half the country had no broadband... they are a disgrace at times when it comes to tech support...

a dog would have more of an idea than those idiots...:mad:

try this for speed test. its in dublin i think so its always fairly accurate :)

http://speedtest.digiweb.ie/

• Advertisement

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Yep same here im in swords,unable to play the xbox on it as it's to bad just keeps disconnecting me from the server

Im unable to get a reading on any speed test site it gives me crazy sppeds of 90 or over a 100mb guy in CS said i was getting a good 13mb speed but i can never verifiey this, i dont think im getting more than 5 meg

Just spent 20 minutes on xbox live telling my mates to restart their routers and it was me all along :eek: haha

RazorSharp wrote: »
    In D9 myself, download speeds are ok but web pages seem slow to react, also cant get a game going on xbox live properly. :(

so im not the only one

this is a complete joke, there is nothing worse than high pings, can'd do ****e with them.

same as lads. taught the eggsbocks was fooked aswell. was gonna fire it out the window.

pure nitemare

994324738.png

What do you guys make of this im on the 15 mb package, my speeds tonight are ****/e yet im getting crazy results like this ive tried magnet speed test and i get similar results

• Advertisement

same as lads. taught the eggsbocks was fooked aswell. was gonna fire it out the window.

pure nitemare

has it been happening much to you ? ive noticed the webpages reacting slow on and off for a while but havent had any problems at all with the xbox until today. was enjoying a nice few games of fifa there :(

luckyfrank wrote: »
    994324738.png

What do you guys make of this im on the 15 mb package, my speeds tonight are ****/e yet im getting crazy results like this ive tried magnet speed test and i get similar results

ha ha epic... i think its comin back on.. my speeds are slowly increasing. back up to 17mb

RazorSharp wrote: »
    has it been happening much to you ? ive noticed the webpages reacting slow on and off for a while but havent had any problems at all with the xbox until today. was enjoying a nice few games of fifa there :(

only seems to get like this on xbox on a sunday eve/nite but it happens nearly every weekend.
    they hardly work on the network on a sunday eve do they??

Do they not know we want to play online tonight? :mad:

just tried a ping test all timed out 4 packets sent 4 packest lost:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Been expereincing serious drops in quality this week.

Today everything came to a loggers with serious lag in my games and I lost the plot.

Plan to ring them tomorrow and ask what the story is, considering its nothing in my network as I've chcked everything.

Anyone rang already and asked what the story is?

Changed to google dns and immediatly fixed.

Gaming fine now no lag, downloads whizzing along and web pages firing up.

sorted

In fairness it makes sense using googledns, their data centres and traffic control are much better then upc's would, and the added security is nice

TheDoc wrote: »
    Changed to google dns and immediatly fixed.

Gaming fine now no lag, downloads whizzing along and web pages firing up.

sorted

In fairness it makes sense using googledns, their data centres and traffic control are much better then upc's would, and the added security is nice

same problem again so as last time...

thanks doc

Scrap that

problem not resolved, games starting to lag to **** agian

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Having problems tonight in Malahide. Phone is dropping and internet is really slow. 3mb -4mg on 30mb package :(

• Advertisement

Anyone been onto UPC yet today or checked to see if the issue is resolved??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I had serious problems this morning with mine, I'm in Windy Arbor/Dundrum area, although it was working fine last night. The two DNS servers are un-pingable, which is a major pain in the ass. I was supposed to work from home this morning and had to come into the office late!! :mad:

I forgot my account number so I can't phone them, probably just as well because I'd tell them what I really thought of them! :D

TheDoc wrote: »
    Scrap that

problem not resolved, games starting to lag to **** agian

Did some messing my my pc with my ipv4 config settings to set google dns and it seemed to be very stable last night through gaming.

Will report back more tonight after more playing at peak times :)

I had serious problems this morning with mine, I'm in Windy Arbor/Dundrum area, although it was working fine last night. The two DNS servers are un-pingable, which is a major pain in the ass. I was supposed to work from home this morning and had to come into the office late!! :mad:

I forgot my account number so I can't phone them, probably just as well because I'd tell them what I really thought of them! :D

They are very sketchy lately whatever they are up to...

U can ring them and give out with ur phone number instead of acc number though if your feeling the need to let go of sone stress :p

Just rang UPC and told them of the connection problems last nite and that half of Dublin was suffering the same effects to which I was told that they had no reports of any problems last nite. Are they takin the p!ss or what???

I just got off the phone and lad said the same.

Was told my line is fine, and that I need to buy a new router, he gave me netgears customer support number and said to ring them for a resolution.
    Rang them, got some bloke from india, 30 minutes trying to explain the problem then the house phone acted up which is part of the problem.

Hung up and rang back upc, phone acting up again breaking up so I asked her to ring the mobile to which she said two seconds.

That was 15 minutes ago.

I'm getting onto a supervisor asap and getting this bull**** resolved.

I couldnt believe your man telling me " your lines fine, you should ring netgear and get it sorted"

I work in a call centre and get even more critical when onto Tech lines, this service is muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

had the same situation here

line is fine, bypass the netgear router. Problem your end.
    half of dublin is affected, wtf like

I'm ringing back, since the girl had 30 minutes to ring back.

Clearly I'm not a happy bunny, might let the first caller have 5 minutes to save the call, before i ask for a supervisor.

Well I'm kinda sorted.

Rang back got a helpful chap who informed me there is a "critical" upstream error on my line and there is a serious problem with my line going into my house.

Arranged for a technician to come out Thursday to resolve.

Essentially the first guy I got on the phone lied to me saying there was no problem, the second girl was at the end of her shift so arranged a callback tomorrow and third guy manned up and took control.

its a pity, that last guy was epic got it sorted in less then 5 minutes, but its the first two calls that give you a bad name, as you can see from the attitude and tone in my previous posts.

Will report back Thursday, Dad is at his ends wits, if its not sorted I'm going back eircom he says, whih would be...a nightmare based on previous broadband from them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

upc download speed test 0.21mp/s on a 15mb line

ha ha

Advertisement