Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Getting worse??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Thats rotten Trout, faster upload speed lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bolders

996981450.png

Can somene explain to me why can i not make video call on skype ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 0Default0

996983391.png

Started working properly again, bang on 23:30, just like the last 3 nights.
    from 20:30PM - 23:30PM for the last 3 nights i've had 20% + packet loss and latencys over 1000. Becoming a joke at this stage. Might ring them up tommorow.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

bolders wrote: »
    996981450.png

Can somene explain to me why can i not make video call on skype ?

Because your speediest results are good but in tlreality the network is bouncing between high and low speeds constantly. Do a couple of speed tests one after the other and you'll see the difference in connection speeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 bolders

Because your speediest results are good but in tlreality the network is bouncing between high and low speeds constantly. Do a couple of speed tests one after the other and you'll see the difference in connection speeds

You might be right . I did few of them and get a result of 5mibt as well :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well ive the technician coming tomorrow and ill pick his brain, has got even worse at home when I get there form work, not even tunring on the pc at all.

Phone service severly affected aswell so something serious is going on

I'd like it better if they said

"yeah ther eis a problem, we dont know when it will be fixed but we are owrking on it"

Rather then

"nope, there is no problem"

I'm now suffering a month of this, 55 euro down the swanny obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

997763520.png

seems to be ok for me in douglas/cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Swapped to Google DNS and lo and behold :

997774457.png
    (15MB Package)

Turns out it wasn't the router I just replaced.

It's kind of them however to let us know what a Useless Pack of C**ts they are by naming their company UPC.

By force of habit, I'm using OpenDNS ... might change that to Google DNS tonight and see if it has any impact.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well ive the technician coming tomorrow and ill pick his brain, has got even worse at home when I get there form work, not even tunring on the pc at all.

Phone service severly affected aswell so something serious is going on

I'd like it better if they said

"yeah ther eis a problem, we dont know when it will be fixed but we are owrking on it"

Rather then

"nope, there is no problem"

I'm now suffering a month of this, 55 euro down the swanny obviously.

did ya ask them if anyone else had been on to them about the same thing lately???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you're having DNS related issues, i'd highly recommend running the GRC DNS performance benchmark tool to find your best DNS servers.

just let it run and when it's finished (it can take a few minutes) pick the top 2 or 3 DNS servers to use and you're sorted with the fastest DNS servers specifically for you.

if anything changes over time, just re-run it and change as and when required.

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you're having DNS related issues, i'd highly recommend running the GRC DNS performance benchmark tool to find your best DNS servers.

just let it run and when it's finished (it can take a few minutes) pick the top 2 or 3 DNS servers to use and you're sorted with the fastest DNS servers specifically for you.

if anything changes over time, just re-run it and change as and when required.

nice one vibe...

mines fine now but about 8pm it will go mad and keep dropping connection etc. not sure if its a dns problem or something more serious but upc are denying that there is any problem with the service. if it goes down again tonite there will be war... sort of :P

For non Windows users ... you might want to look at namebench :)

There's a windows version too

Rang them there after getting the usual disconnect bull**** on xbox at 8pm on the nose. Talked to a very good lad inte speed department and he done some update to the modem. I don't want to jinx jt but it looks like it cured the problem :)

nermind. its doin it again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Its not DNS issues. DNS is largely irrelevant for any of these issues.

Right now, after 8pm the UPC connections all over Dublin seems to go to ****e, with high pings. Which means games are nearly unplayable.

I use Google DNS already and before that OpenDNS, so this is not the issue. Besides, DNS would just be slow resolving of the IP address, not the connections subsequently.

I am seriously considering to drop UPC right now, eventhough I have been happy with them for 2 years.

.. Actually, if this issue occurs again tomorrow I will be dropping them straight away. I could care less about my broadband speed as long as my ping is not 5000+ms. Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

mine is acting up again was fine till about 8 bells they must be carrying out work on the system, why else would everyone in dublins speed drop faster than the titanic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

It's really bad now, all my poker sites are timing out and the pings are brutal.

ping www.google.ie

Ping statistics for 173.194.37.104:
    Packets: Sent = 156, Received = 142, Lost = 14 (8% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 293ms, Average = 59ms

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Yep, horrendous in Swords right now.

Someone mentioned 23:30 as a "switch back to normal" time...very interesting, it sounds like something is running on UPC's network during 8ish to 23:30 before finishing and allowing the rest of us to get back to normal!

Runaway script? Hardwre updates?

Whatever you do, don't listen to their useless 'update your router', 'switch it all off then back again'. It may be a cliche but this time it's not me, it YOU UPC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

We had three days out and then off on off on every week for the last 9 months.I am sick to death of them.

• Advertisement

its fookin dericulous at the mo in Santry. constantly being dropped out of parties and getting dc's on cod. its beyond a joke and when i rang them earlier in fairness the guy i was talking to seemed to want to do something about it but all he could do was pass it on to the network guys and he said that they might not even get back to him not to mind get back to one of us and let us know whats happening.

i am thinking of getting rid of upc as well if they havent sorted this problem by the weekend. they can go and have a sh!te if they think i'm gonna pay for something thats not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

its fookin dericulous at the mo in Santry. constantly being dropped out of parties and getting dc's on cod. its beyond a joke and when i rang them earlier in fairness the guy i was talking to seemed to want to do something about it but all he could do was pass it on to the network guys and he said that they might not even get back to him not to mind get back to one of us and let us know whats happening.

i am thinking of getting rid of upc as well if they havent sorted this problem by the weekend. they can go and have a sh!te if they think i'm gonna pay for something thats not working.

On top of that they dont even give you discount for the time you are paying for that its broken,But sure as hell will cut you off if you are even a cent off paying your bill on time.:mad:

Having trouble in Fairview too, only started a short while ago. Very erratic pings and losing packets.

Last bit of a ping test to a server in continental Europe. You can see the massive spikes (this is over ethernet, not wireless).

time=79.7
    time=28.0
    time=22.0
    time=25.6
    time=27.5
    time=27.5
    time=27.5
    time=36.4
    time=18.7
    time=27.5
    time=25.1
    time=103
    time=106
    time=23.1
    time=104
    time=51.6
    time=22.8
    time=22.4
    time=27.5
    time=87.5
    time=28.3
    time=21.1
    time=35.0
    time=23.4
    time=32.2
    time=94.6
    time=27.5
    time=41.9
    time=32.9
    time=67.7
    time=19.6
    time=27.5
    time=36.8
    time=98.4
    time=27.5
    time=27.5
    time=42.1
    time=63.9
    time=24.0
    time=27.5
    time=28.6
    time=27.5
    time=20.4
    time=25.6
    time=19.5
    time=19.8
    time=21.8

The problem is that packets are being dropped by sudden losses in connectivity which last a few seconds each. Pings, voice and games all suffer lag from this because the packets are lost altogether (ICMP / UDP); downloads and web pages will just appear slow because the packets are re-transmitted (TCP).

We've noticed that this only seems to happen between 8pm and 11pm-12am each night.

998256358.png
    30mbps line. Score is usually <20ms, 28-29mbps down, 3mbps up.
    I'm in Blanch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

I wonder has the irish record music industry has anything to do with it it's really only happend since that court case last week
    Sabotage maybe ???

Who'd of thunk it

luckyfrank wrote: »
    I wonder has the irish record music industry has anything to do with it it's really only happend since that court case last week
    Sabotage maybe ???

Who'd of thunk it

ha ha if only :D

its been happening to me on sunday evenings for the last few weeks but this week it has been everynite...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

noxqs wrote: »
    Its not DNS issues. DNS is largely irrelevant for any of these issues.
    if i'm totally honest, i only really skimmed through the thread and saw a few people mention DNS as a possible cause so i thought it might help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tontoirl

In Fairview/Marino speeds okay.... ish..
    998264702.png

But when trying to have a conversation on the phone the other person keeps dropping in and out but they can here me... Same last night but was working perfect this morning and around 6pm. Anyone else have this problem?

And I know too well there's no point in phoning tech support....

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Mine used to be this bad all the time. For the last 6 months its been much better. Last 2 or 3 weeks its gone downhill again, so that online stuff is unplayable. Very frustrating.

• Advertisement

tontoirl wrote: »
    In Fairview/Marino speeds okay.... ish..
    998264702.png

But when trying to have a conversation on the phone the other person keeps dropping in and out but they can here me... Same last night but was working perfect this morning and around 6pm. Anyone else have this problem?

And I know too well there's no point in phoning tech support....

T

Same here (8 meg):

998272251.png

While the speed test looks ok the packet loss is making browsing very slow.

Advertisement