Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Getting worse??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

i rang upc up and spoke to a 2nd line techie.
    i rang from work and he saw the problem with the line and reset something then and there.

back to fast speeds again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 0Default0

BEFORE 11PM:

26449328.png

JUST AFTER 11PM

26450466.png

Would you look at that... 2 days in a row, 11 o'clock and it stops bolloxing around. Definitely UPC's end and at this rate, its becoming a joke, i don't pay 85 euro a month to have this **** out on me at the exact time i need to be online.

It is bizarre that this only happens at a particular time. Some engineer probably forgot to take nightlyhotpr0nz.sh out of his crontab. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

AdrianII wrote: »
    i rang upc up and spoke to a 2nd line techie.
    i rang from work and he saw the problem with the line and reset something then and there.

back to fast speeds again :D

explain plox??? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

Its the absolute ****e Cisco router that UPC provide thats the problem. It is completely unable to handle large volumes of data up or down. Emailing them is a complete waste of time. Comreg and Minister need to be bombarded with complaints

• Advertisement

Its the absolute ****e Cisco router that UPC provide thats the problem. It is completely unable to handle large volumes of data up or down. Emailing them is a complete waste of time. Comreg and Minister need to be bombarded with complaints

The router is useless and they shouldn't be allowed give it to anyone for any purpose (except maybe as a doorstop), but it isn't the cause of the particular problem being discussed in this thread.

I have the Scientific Atlanta and still had the problems described in this thread, so it's not the Cisco in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rickard

Connection has been awful for the past 2 days.. it's been running fine until now... :mad: Have the 30meg, impossible to play on xbox live, just get dropped every other minute so.

Pings are decidedely average when it does function. 30-50ms.. when it used to be around 15-20 tops.

I guess they've been pumping it out in my neighbourhood finally, the runbad has caught up to me as well..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Got fed up with UPC - Im calling in to cancel tomorrow.

I can deal with a bad connection if only they have the decency to admit the problem and provide a timeline of when they will fix it. But not telling anyone and pretending there is no issue, is assuming your customers are stupid.

Customers are not sheep contrary to popular belief in business. And my money is better spent elsewhere.

I can not deal with having bad latency, this completely makes a high speed connection useless. Sure you can download fast, but whats the point if you try to play a game online and you are constantly lagging and interupted. Even in 1995 on my 36.6K modem I had a more stable connection.

This is a joke for 2010.. almost 11..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

been crap for me the last few days, getting very annoying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Been very bad out in Portmarnock too the last week or so. Great during the day, but come 8 bells its pants, pings then start to improve again after 11. Still not great at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if its not up to scratch then keep complaining and ask for a discount until the problems are resolved.

i had issues before and kept emailing support@upc.ie every few days telling them it was still fecked and asking for updates and they gave me a 50% discount off my broadband until it was sorted.

its an incentive for you not to leave them and its an incentive for them to fix the problems quickly. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Polar101

Very poor connection all week (Dublin 15 area), haven't had significant problems in the past.

At least they sent me the bill yesterday (including THREE copies of a note saying they want to save the environment and won't be printing me any more bills). Not in a hurry to pay now.

Didnt get any replies to my inquiries with the UPC support. Cancelled my subscription worth 50 euro/pm. I guess thats nothing for UPC but its a bit of a joke to pay money for terrible service. A bit of a shame since UPC did do massive upgrades, so I am wondering what they can offer later.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 0Default0

Was just onto a fellow in UPC called "Alan", who informed me that there was widespread faults accross Dublin over the last few of nights (Coincidentally just between 8-11pm) and it was repaired last night after hours, at around 11:30pm.

They say they're waiting for customer reports to verify if its fixed tonight, or not. So we'll see how it goes tonight. If its not fixed tonight, i'll be back onto them in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

noxqs wrote: »
    Didnt get any replies to my inquiries with the UPC support. Cancelled my subscription worth 50 euro/pm. I guess thats nothing for UPC but its a bit of a joke to pay money for terrible service. A bit of a shame since UPC did do massive upgrades, so I am wondering what they can offer later.
    i'd say it'll be your loss in the long run and unless you can get one of the LLU magnet packages, you most likely won't find better service anywhere else.

every ISP has issues from time to time. you're much better off riding it out and complaining to get a discount until its fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tontoirl

0Default0 wrote: »
    Was just onto a fellow in UPC called "Alan", who informed me that there was widespread faults accross Dublin over the last few of nights (Coincidentally just between 8-11pm) and it was repaired last night after hours, at around 11:30pm.

They say they're waiting for customer reports to verify if its fixed tonight, or not. So we'll see how it goes tonight. If its not fixed tonight, i'll be back onto them in the morning.

You saved me the call/long wait, I was just about to ring them.
    I'll wait and see what it's like tonight and post up... if I can...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I'm in carlow and the past two nights The ping has been terrible, can't get a game of street fighter online.

I've just moved in and don't know if the connection is bad, or just housemates using torrents, anyone any experience of 15meg upc in this area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

OK so here is an update as I have had a technician out today who was extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

I explained the situation with the phone and the broadband and his he cleared the phone issue straight away.

The phone lines are being sorted through yesterday and today, they are aware of the issue with calls dropping abd breaking and that should be resolved sometime today.

Broadband wise he ran a number of tests and came to the conslusion the line is perfect. I couldnt dispute. 29mb download and 3mb upload coming into the modem downstairs with a ping of less then 30ms and no packet loss.

So we had a look at the wireless setup in the house and how my pc's all connect. He told me he couldn't provide support for the netgear router. He explained the situation and as to why and it made perfect sense.

He then told me that if I wanted it would be very easy to cable the internet in my house to all the computers. Running a cable from the modem directly upstairs, use the current router I have as a hub and split off into the various computers.

Skeptial, he brought a massive cable into the house and connected from the modem up to my pc directly.

Wouldnt you know, 28mb download, 2.5mb upload, no packet loss.

Tried one of my games and it was going perfect, better then before the trouble started.

He then told me of the relocation service UPC offers for 50 euro that they can relocate the modem, router and wiring from downstairs up to any room I want in the house.

This is the option I'm going to go with, having the house cabled. He was pretty helpful and told me how I'd go about doing it myself, but said forthe 50 euro the lads provide all the necceasy cable and installation, and wouldnt have a problem running additional wires to other machines in the house. They would also be understanding that the wires would want to be conceled and could do that no problem.

This is obviously only my particular situation but my line looks perfect, its very much down to the wireless router. I never rated netgear and it seems its just coming to its deathbed to be honest.

The technician was mighty helpful and wasnt giving me any bull****. I told him about the issue being a bit more widespread and he agreed there was alot of chatter on the internet but what typically happens is the people complaining down arranged for a technician visit, so they cannot pinpoint a widespread problem.

He said the word in his office is that when they are responding to calls it is 99.9% troubles with wireless connections. And as we all know, wireless is wireless , you can be lucky or you can be in the ****.

So in my situation I have a quality connection, with zero contention and the problem is my ****ty netgear router.

So I'll be ringing up in the coming days to arrange for a relocation to happen so I can get wired into my room then split off to the rest of the houses pcs. Or me and the father might do it ourselves, but honestly the service for €50 is cheaper then buying the amount of cable I'd need.

The technician also gave me another phone, after I asked would the house phone have to be relocated to my room. He said you can have as many phones as you like, just plugged in by power cords. So he threw me a free one to " persuade my mother that cabling is good"

Happy enough with the outcome, granted I'm still stuck with lag until I get it cabled, atleast I know when it does happen that it will be fine.

And if its not, atleast if another tech has to come the wireless issue can be disregarded.

So I'd urge you if your having trouble not to simply sit there and moan on boards but arrange a tech call. He said hed be here at 1pm two days ago and at 1.01pm he was at the door.

Quality service imo and with those speeds coming into the house I've no reason to complain.

And at the end of the day UPC offer the best value for high speed packages in the country, and I'd quicker suck the devils bell end before going back to the overpriced terrible service and speeds I had with eircom, who incidently charged us 150 euro to have our wires run upstairs. When UPC are offering it for €50 and they have to relocate a whole bunch of stuff, eircom just ran a phone wire up the side of the house : /

So again, get the technicians out to diagnose. I have an Netgearwrn2000 router which seems to be the problem. Or possibly the linksys wusb3000 adapters I use that are scaldy hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

TheDoc wrote: »
    OK so here is an update as I have had a technician out today who was extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

I explained the situation with the phone and the broadband and his he cleared the phone issue straight away.

The phone lines are being sorted through yesterday and today, they are aware of the issue with calls dropping abd breaking and that should be resolved sometime today.

Broadband wise he ran a number of tests and came to the conslusion the line is perfect. I couldnt dispute. 29mb download and 3mb upload coming into the modem downstairs with a ping of less then 30ms and no packet loss.

So we had a look at the wireless setup in the house and how my pc's all connect. He told me he couldn't provide support for the netgear router. He explained the situation and as to why and it made perfect sense.

He then told me that if I wanted it would be very easy to cable the internet in my house to all the computers. Running a cable from the modem directly upstairs, use the current router I have as a hub and split off into the various computers.

Skeptial, he brought a massive cable into the house and connected from the modem up to my pc directly.

Wouldnt you know, 28mb download, 2.5mb upload, no packet loss.

Tried one of my games and it was going perfect, better then before the trouble started.

He then told me of the relocation service UPC offers for 50 euro that they can relocate the modem, router and wiring from downstairs up to any room I want in the house.

This is the option I'm going to go with, having the house cabled. He was pretty helpful and told me how I'd go about doing it myself, but said forthe 50 euro the lads provide all the necceasy cable and installation, and wouldnt have a problem running additional wires to other machines in the house. They would also be understanding that the wires would want to be conceled and could do that no problem.

This is obviously only my particular situation but my line looks perfect, its very much down to the wireless router. I never rated netgear and it seems its just coming to its deathbed to be honest.

The technician was mighty helpful and wasnt giving me any bull****. I told him about the issue being a bit more widespread and he agreed there was alot of chatter on the internet but what typically happens is the people complaining down arranged for a technician visit, so they cannot pinpoint a widespread problem.

He said the word in his office is that when they are responding to calls it is 99.9% troubles with wireless connections. And as we all know, wireless is wireless , you can be lucky or you can be in the ****.

So in my situation I have a quality connection, with zero contention and the problem is my ****ty netgear router.

So I'll be ringing up in the coming days to arrange for a relocation to happen so I can get wired into my room then split off to the rest of the houses pcs. Or me and the father might do it ourselves, but honestly the service for €50 is cheaper then buying the amount of cable I'd need.

The technician also gave me another phone, after I asked would the house phone have to be relocated to my room. He said you can have as many phones as you like, just plugged in by power cords. So he threw me a free one to " persuade my mother that cabling is good"

Happy enough with the outcome, granted I'm still stuck with lag until I get it cabled, atleast I know when it does happen that it will be fine.

And if its not, atleast if another tech has to come the wireless issue can be disregarded.

So I'd urge you if your having trouble not to simply sit there and moan on boards but arrange a tech call. He said hed be here at 1pm two days ago and at 1.01pm he was at the door.

Quality service imo and with those speeds coming into the house I've no reason to complain.

And at the end of the day UPC offer the best value for high speed packages in the country, and I'd quicker suck the devils bell end before going back to the overpriced terrible service and speeds I had with eircom, who incidently charged us 150 euro to have our wires run upstairs. When UPC are offering it for €50 and they have to relocate a whole bunch of stuff, eircom just ran a phone wire up the side of the house : /

So again, get the technicians out to diagnose. I have an Netgearwrn2000 router which seems to be the problem. Or possibly the linksys wusb3000 adapters I use that are scaldy hot.

Good to see your problem solved lad. I'm hoping your not back to the dc's again when they sort it.

I had a tech out a few months ago and he rewired the modem directly upstairs and now the main pc, Eggsbocks and ps3 are all wired into the router and set up on the Dmz. I might also add that I threw away the ****ty router I got from UPC and bough a Netgear wndr3300 with good features for gaming i.e. qos, bandwidth throttling etc. Anywho my point being that I know it's not the set up within the house that it is on the UPC side my betting being that the exchanges are dying on their arse's due to too many people being connected between 8 and 11pm when half the country is on line.

As someone else posted earlier I'm hoping that the fixed the problem last nite and it doesn't repeat tonite again.

• Advertisement

The issue is not there during the day time, which is why I am still sceptical they solved anything yet.

But good luck doc.

To be honest I'm excited to get it wired.

Back in the day with eircom I remember going from wireless to wired and my head nearly exploded at the speed increase.

Getting close to 29mbs into my room but be unreal :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,918 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

yeah broadand speeds are fine off peak times it's the main times say from 6pm to midnight that I find the poor speeds, so that points to contention. Another option for the doc would be to get a wireless N Bridge and access point just hook the access point into a spare port on the netgear and place the bridge downstairs and you will get up to 20meg through put. I got one of these to replace my wireless G setups http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/20019315/NETGEAR_HD_Gaming_5_GHz_Wireless_N_Networking_Kit/WNHDEB111_100ISS/default.aspx

Just an additional option if they come to the house and they have to drill through walls or floorboards and leave an unsightly wire running down the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I really can't see why wireless would be making a difference in that situation, and It's easy to test anyway, just connect via ethernet or try a diff router and you'll know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,918 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

TheDoc recommend running speedtests from now on tonight to see what kind of speeds your getting mine are currently down even with the modem plugged directly into my pc its pretty crap for a supposedly 30meg service :(

999207492.png

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

15mg service in Waterford
    999348016.png

Changing the Server to Galway
    999350098.png

I've arranged for UPC to come out next week and relocate the wiring from the sitting room up to the boxroom, from there I'll run cabled internet to the various pcs.

Testing my speeds downstairs directly through the router by ethernet to my laptop, 28mb download speeds.

I'm convinced and for €50 I cant say no. All they need to do is the wiring up outside the house from the box, straight up a wall into the attic, me and the old fella will do the rest.

Even if it doesnt solve, it like I said, the issue will get sorted soon enough and I'll atleast have cabled internet which I've wanted ever since I moved to upc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

The doc, are u working for upc?? The service has been shocking over the last few days. My poor aul ps3 is lying there unable to connect to a game online!

My DNS resolution got very slow tonight but the pings have been ok so far. Moved to Google DNS temporarily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bigben121

im supposed to have 30mbs , i have 7mb , like wat the f**k

Advertisement