Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Getting worse??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

UPC slow again tonite as predicted.

I hope you didnt pay UPC 50 euro for a fix you didnt need Doc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just found this thread, am having the exact same issues out here in Clonee/D15. Telephone dropping calls, broadband ping woeful, can't play PC or xbox games online, DVR box program guide very slow to update also. I jst sent them an e-mail there to complain. Speedtest and pingtest results below.

999480610.png

26508903.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

noxqs wrote: »
    UPC slow again tonite as predicted.

I hope you didnt pay UPC 50 euro for a fix you didnt need Doc.

Well I'm paying 50 euro to get my internet cabled which is a plus for me.

Are you folk actually ringing upc to try get it sorted or just venting here hoping someone else will?

I can tell you from experience of working in a similar industry, they dont actively sit there looking for problems, they are a reactive force not a preemptive one.

If there is indeed so much problems, get in touch and maybe they will have a check of their lines.

I've been on the laptop all night and its been literally flying around.

So although I'm suffering problems the same as others it may be I'm an isolated case in that my net is genuinely fine, but my wireless is wrecking the buzz.

I've no doubt there is massive problems, but you should all be ringing and going through the process I did.

Atleast then if a tech comes and sees your lines in bits they can do something about it.

So no, I dont work for UPC, but then again I realise that collective winging on boards solves nothing. And going through the channels provided has offered me a solution.

Lets get going folks, get your hands on the phone and get ringing :)

Is there any way to force the UPC modem to do a firmware update?

I have a new EPC2203 which is still running off the old firmware and I just lost sync due to the DCC error.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 0Default0

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well I'm paying 50 euro to get my internet cabled which is a plus for me.

Are you folk actually ringing upc to try get it sorted or just venting here hoping someone else will?

I can tell you from experience of working in a similar industry, they dont actively sit there looking for problems, they are a reactive force not a preemptive one.

If there is indeed so much problems, get in touch and maybe they will have a check of their lines.

I've been on the laptop all night and its been literally flying around.

So although I'm suffering problems the same as others it may be I'm an isolated case in that my net is genuinely fine, but my wireless is wrecking the buzz.

I've no doubt there is massive problems, but you should all be ringing and going through the process I did.

Atleast then if a tech comes and sees your lines in bits they can do something about it.

So no, I dont work for UPC, but then again I realise that collective winging on boards solves nothing. And going through the channels provided has offered me a solution.

Lets get going folks, get your hands on the phone and get ringing :)

But the tech guy came during the day, right? When none of us have any connection problems? Ask him to come after 8pm and i might be convinced.

Anyway, my connection tonight was alot better then the last couple, a couple of lag spikes, but nothing to stop me streaming video/playing games, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Dropped connections from about 7pm till after 10pm.
    To me it's definitely a UPC problem as I fixed my own previous horrible problems using watty's dmz solution and it has been fine until around the date the OP started this thread.
    I've used GRC's DNS program and use the best DNS servers for me and still when it hits evening time connections drop every few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

[URL="[URL=http://www.pingtest.net][IMG]http://www.pingtest.net/result/26514433.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]26514433.png
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/999578047.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]999578047.png

Speed test looks sweet ... yet I can't get a game of COD launched as the QoS is so sh1tty :(

Packet loss is consistently in the 90's since about 20:30 tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

trout wrote: »
    26514433.png

Turn the modam on :D

mine seems ok at the moment i havent played on the xbox so im not sure how that went

26515034.png

getting ok speeds usually the last few nights it was 11.30 until things improved here's hoping

Download Speed: 12175 kbps (1521.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 558 kbps (69.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Mines been sh1t all day, turned off modem for last hour and all back to normal, Limerick 15meg btw.

www.speedtest.net%20target=_blank%3E999616750.png999616750.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

Hmm this is worrying... I just ordered the 30mb package with TV and Phone. They've just upgraded to fibre in Clondalkin.

Are the problem ppl on fibre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

trout wrote: »
    [URL="[URL=http://www.pingtest.net][IMG]http://www.pingtest.net/result/26514433.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]26514433.png
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/999578047.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]999578047.png

Speed test looks sweet ... yet I can't get a game of COD launched as the QoS is so sh1tty :(

Packet loss is consistently in the 90's since about 20:30 tonight.

26519232.png You need to turn off the Firewall on the router to fix your packet loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Wookster76 wrote: »
    Hmm this is worrying... I just ordered the 30mb package with TV and Phone. They've just upgraded to fibre in Clondalkin.

Are the problem ppl on fibre?

You will be fine as regards packet loss the UPC modem and combined router comes with the firewall and flood control on by default.

When you turn off the Firewall everything is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Does anyone have any update on this 'fix'? Been having issues with my phone and broadband in the evenings the past few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Ranicand wrote: »
    You will be fine as regards packet loss the UPC modem and combined router comes with the firewall and flood control on by default.

When you turn off the Firewall everything is perfect.

Does this apply to the Scientific Atlanta modem too, I thought that one had no user-configurable settings?

UPC acting up again big time i keep being disconnected from xbox live im fuming, i just rang tech support told him about the problems that most of dublin have being getting he said my line was fine and they are unaware of any problmes i told him to looks at boards.ie

Im raging with anger the service is crap, guy on the phone said he'd email the engineer a report and id have to wait for a call back

If this is ignored by upc ill lift the tramps out of it 2moro on the fone

Ive just signed a 12 months contract and already i want out i should have feckion gone to magnet

UPC acting up again big time i keep being disconnected from xbox live im fuming, i just rang tech support told him about the problems that most of dublin have being getting he said my line was fine and they are unaware of any problmes i told him to looks at boards.ie

Im raging with anger the service is crap, guy on the phone said he'd email the engineer a report and id have to wait for a call back

If this is ignored by upc ill lift the tramps out of it 2moro on the fone

Ive just siagned a 12 months contract and already i want out i should have feckin gone to magnet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

yup same here in D15, seems like it got constipation from 8 - 10pm most eves! not ****ing out the webpages fast enough!

Just got a call back from tech support he said the engineer admited that there was a problem with my line and that it could be fixed i think he said it was over - extended with data or something like that, so at least i know there is something that can be done about it, they can fix the problem from there end, fair enough i said he did say that a definete time as to when it would be fixed isnt possible but that it should be fixed within the next week

Ill give them the benfit of the doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

sounds like a upc fob off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TheMastero

Mine is ok here in Limerick, Iv had the connection go off one or twice
    but not for long and the speeds are great on my 30mb :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

TheMastero wrote: »
    Mine is ok here in Limerick, Iv had the connection go off one or twice
    but not for long and the speeds are great on my 30mb :D

Are u on fiber?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

TheDoc wrote: »

Even if it doesnt solve, it like I said, the issue will get sorted soon enough and I'll atleast have cabled internet which I've wanted ever since I moved to upc.

All you need for that are those wall plugs that use you're houses leccy wiring.

For most people wireless G, or certainly N is fine. What problems do you have with wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I only really have it for the odd bit of gaming, which is impossible with all these problems. I don't do much downloading. TBH I'm thinking of dropping UPC and going with a mobile alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

All you need for that are those wall plugs that use you're houses leccy wiring.

For most people wireless G, or certainly N is fine. What problems do you have with wireless?

The problem cant be pinpointed thats the problem, one day it was fine, 3 weeks ( going on 4) it died a death.

I just cant pinpoint the problem, what the problem "feels" like is a massive loss in packets, or latency issue.

My wireless adapter does run extremely hot but always has, so I'm just guessing it might be that issue, or it might be the netgear router coming to the end of its life.

Wireless plugs wont work for me because the upsairs and downstairs are on different breaker,s those plugs work only on the same breaker.

UPC Relocation team is coming on Thursday, and are doing the whole shabang.

Said there was no problem in getting in the attic and doing all the wiring, even extra cable to run the wires to all the different computers.

Well chuffed, cant wait to get back gaming I'm jonsing here! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

BostonB wrote: »
    I only really have it for the odd bit of gaming, which is impossible with all these problems. I don't do much downloading. TBH I'm thinking of dropping UPC and going with a mobile alternative.
    it's a minor issue that's been going on for a short time. by dropping UPC for a mobile service all you'll be doing is swapping a temporarily bad service for a permanently bad one which makes no sense whatsoever.

everyone who has issues needs to complain to UPC about it directly (repeatedly, every few days), either by phone (freephone 1908) or by email (customer.support@upc.ie) so they can see how severe the problems are and how many people are affected.

if enough people complain then they will get a much better picture of the issues, the issue will be given a higher priority and they will be more likely to be able to fix it effectively in a shorter time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

vibe666 wrote: »
    it's a minor issue that's been going on for a short time. by dropping UPC for a mobile service all you'll be doing is swapping a temporarily bad service for a permanently bad one which makes no sense whatsoever.

everyone who has issues needs to complain to UPC about it directly (repeatedly, every few days), either by phone (freephone 1908) or by email (customer.support@upc.ie) so they can see how severe the problems are and how many people are affected.

if enough people complain then they will get a much better picture of the issues, the issue will be given a higher priority and they will be more likely to be able to fix it effectively in a shorter time frame.

Bingo!!!

Couldn't have said it better. However at the risk of jinxing myself mine was grand all yesterday eve. Perfect ping. No dc's and was swapping between eggbocks and ps3 all nite. What are the chances they fixed it and it wasn't a fluke??? :o

Well I've had it all the time. Its never really gone away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

BostonB wrote: »
    Well I've had it all the time. Its never really gone away.

Then its nothing to do with the issues in this thread.

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    Then its nothing to do with the issues in this thread.

So many UPC threads, its hard to find the right one...:rolleyes:

Advertisement