Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Getting worse??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Because its the only ISP worth paying money out for imo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

TheDoc wrote: »
    Because its the only ISP worth paying money out for imo ;)

you kiss ass

you'll be giving out about them again if the problem isnt sorted with the rewire :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Not a bother in Greystones.

1002112801.png

26645274.png

you kiss ass

you'll be giving out about them again if the problem isnt sorted with the rewire :p

hahaha yeah probably. I just tend to give them more time because I find that through a problem I'll deal with 5 employees, and the first one is always the worst setitng the trend of rage in me.

Granted this is like the second time I've had to have any sort of tech call out in like 2 years which aint bad.

I'm just so fearful of going back to Eircom I'd love any ocmpany :)

And I do think that them pushing their own service is a good thing.

Chatting in workthe other day heard that BT have fibre cables all around the country and arnt allowed use them because Eircom have an injunction in place as it would provide a monopoly, cause seemingly Bt could provide minimum speeds of up to 100mb at dirt cheap rates.

Have to say nearly had a heart attack. Its typical irish though, an old semi state body dragigng the countries infrastructure in that area back into the stone age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Chatting in workthe other day heard that BT have fibre cables all around the country and arnt allowed use them because Eircom have an injunction in place as it would provide a monopoly, cause seemingly Bt could provide minimum speeds of up to 100mb at dirt cheap rates.

Have to say nearly had a heart attack. Its typical irish though, an old semi state body dragigng the countries infrastructure in that area back into the stone age.

In fairness that sounds a bit, ahem, Irish. Can't see the EU allowing that to happen. Just because they have some fibre infrastructure doesn't necessarily mean they could do this. I'd say there's a bit more to it.

• Advertisement

Like I said just something I heard in work, didn't have any sources to confirm, but a little bit of googling and it seems so.

Eircom have an injunction denying Bt to operate their fibre lines because it would in turn cause an instant monopoly.

Or so various google results say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Just reporting, connection has been solid for past four days here in Dublin City Centre.
    Thank F&^%$

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Eircom have an injunction denying Bt to operate their fibre lines because it would in turn cause an instant monopoly.
    l_76c6dc03007905726f8c7f8ec69fb8f7.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

edit removed quote

so has this been sorted? Seems like it only affected dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

gambiaman wrote: »
    Just reporting, connection has been solid for past four days here in Dublin City Centre.
    Thank F&^%$

same here

• Advertisement

My wireless has actually significantly improved the last few nights, shocking that ;)

Still, wont tell the folks and get cable in still :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Moogintroll

Even if BT did have fibre all over the country, that's not the problem. The problem is that bloody Eircon have let the copper in the phone lines rot to hell and have zero plans to fix the problem.

I seriously think that if that bloody company went bust, it would be the best thing for the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I seriously think that if that bloody company went bust, it would be the best thing for the country.

They are bust- thats exactly the problem. They have no money left for the upkeep of their infrastructure- as the various owners and the ESOP have stripped any value they possibly can from the carcass of the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Moogintroll

smccarrick wrote: »
    They are bust- thats exactly the problem. They have no money left for the upkeep of their infrastructure- as the various owners and the ESOP have stripped any value they possibly can from the carcass of the company.

Oh sure but I meant bust as in going bankrupt to the point where they are forced to sell off pieces of the network. Total pipe dream I know, but we seriously need multiple carriers in this country that aren't dependant on eircom's rubbish hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I had a really bad problem with my wifi for ages I realised my desktop connected by Ethernet was having no trouble though reset the router to factory defaults and it's worked a treat

I had a really bad problem with my wifi for ages I realised my desktop connected by Ethernet was having no trouble though reset the router to factory defaults and it's worked a treat

Have someone check out the settings for you- the factory settings, while they may overcome some issues with traditional wifi installations, are rarely optimal. E.g. changing your router to use less common channels- could give you a surprising boost. Similarly some routers can prioritise certain types of protocols, or even certain programme usage.......

This evening I am experiencing significant package loss in Lucan village (ping rates seem ok, ironically, though).

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I've a feeling that there is a problem in some locations. They've told me via DM on twitter that their technical team will contact me and that there is a problem and they'll give me an indication of when it'll be fixed.

1008375160.png

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

I am in Drumcondra and I had many of the same problems as listed earlier in this thread. At first my broadband appeared to be working fine, that is, when I ran a speedtest I was getting excellent results on my 15Mb line, however some websites would just not load and the speed would crawl along. I done Pingtests and had Packlet losses of 85% and grade F results, which was obviously the root of my problem. I had phoned UPC at least 15 times and even had two technicians call to my house (to fix an "outside fault on the second line" which done nothing), and yet to this day they still had no idea what the problem was or how to fix it.

Then, in another thread here about UPC, I fortunately found a solution which was so simple its ridiculous. Basically all I had to do was to uncheck an option on the Firewall of my modem (yes the ****ty Cisco EPC 2425). This was done by going to http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.100.1 , and then go to Setup/ Firewall:- Options - and unchecked 'IP Flood Detection'. That was it. Suddenly my pingtest's are grade A's and every site is flying along opening perfectly and I'm getting the full 15Mb all of the time (touch wood).

How ridiculous is it that it was such a simple thing which was causing these problems yet they had no idea what was going on? How many other people have had these problems with their broadband and in turn complained to UPC and so causing them lots of problems and expense? I mean, it was simply a case of unchecking an option to do with the modem, how pathetic is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

has anyones Cisco ever just randomly reverted to default? can upc auto reboot your modem remotely to default?

Cable all set .

Annoyingly they made me buy a 20metre long ethernet cable. I was told on the phone they supply everything but the lads that came said they don't supply any cables so currently just getting the finishing touches.

From modem to PC cabled I'm getting 29-30mb. Absolutely quality, but I've to plug into the netgear router to activate wirless.

1009504336.png

Cabled from NetGear router, have a horrible feeling after all this work, I'm still going to have to buy a new router, how is this so?

Wonder if its another bad upc night or what, but I'll be on the blower tomorrow if **** doesnt pick up, did this as they said it would improve things drastically.

I'm sick of them telling me the router is not their problem, they supplied it, netgear support is horrible, so I'll want some anwsers.

• Advertisement

UPC perfectly fine here:

1009513634.png

27018215.png

Significant packet loss here in Lucan again this evening. Got a card in the post from NTL today advising they are upgrading the cables locally, and to expect intermittent service loss...... At least there is light at the end of the tunnel.....

smccarrick wrote: »
    Significant packet loss here in Lucan again this evening. Got a card in the post from NTL today advising they are upgrading the cables locally, and to expect intermittent service loss...... At least there is light at the end of the tunnel.....

They're also upgrading the cables in Ballyfermot, last time it was done there was 1994.

Directly to modem I'm getting a solid 28mb , through router though its not so great.

I'm just weary as I never get the truth from them, so although they might tell me its my router, it might well be an issue on their end and refusal to tell me, which sets me back over €100 buying a new router.

I'm a bit rage now cause I figured all this messing would be over today.

They didnt even bother to test anything when they re-wired it like, I wish I had of being here when they installed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Syrius7

Hey guys, firs time posting on board.ie.

Just wondering if you guys ever had a problem where you Wirless network just Dissapears ? This is the house where i stay during going to college and this is the second time its happening to me in a different house on a different router in a different location . Infact it has happened just as im writing this ironically enough. When connected by cable its all 100% fine , however when wireless comes into play its ****ed.

I know about the whole , where to place your router and right now its not in an optimal position , however this is exactly the same problem i am having on a brand new router , which was before stationed right next to my desktop PC and still kept on doing it.

Syrius7 wrote: »
    Hey guys, firs time posting on board.ie.

Just wondering if you guys ever had a problem where you Wirless network just Dissapears ? This is the house where i stay during going to college and this is the second time its happening to me in a different house on a different router in a different location . Infact it has happened just as im writing this ironically enough. When connected by cable its all 100% fine , however when wireless comes into play its ****ed.

I know about the whole , where to place your router and right now its not in an optimal position , however this is exactly the same problem i am having on a brand new router , which was before stationed right next to my desktop PC and still kept on doing it.

Can happen if other people living in the vicinity also have wireless routers, doesn't have to be the same make or model, working on the same frequency. Quite a common issue in builtup areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Syrius7

So the sollution would be ? Changing the chanell ?

1010155037.png

Here is me this morning, thats more like it tbh

Syrius7 wrote: »
    So the sollution would be ? Changing the chanell ?

Yip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

1010269359.png
    27058750.png

Self-installed during the week past in Clondalkin area.
    Very impressed so far as this speed has remained constant at all times of the day/night. Had the near complete packet-loss initially, but as soon as the bridge mode was enabled on the Cisco and shoved through my WNDR3700, everything cleared up.

Advertisement