Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Getting worse??

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i'm running with the Netgear wnr3000 ( i think) and some cisco modem , i'll try get more specific details when I get home.

But currently I'm running cable from the Router to my room directly.

My Dad has wireless running on his pc, hence why I have to run my cable from the router.

My sister runs her laptop wirelessly aswell.

Is there anything critical I need to change on my setup to make sure everything is ok?

Was ment to get a callback Saturday from UPC , never arrived.

Funny enough I was kinda pissed they didnt ring back, but speeds have been stable enough, 25mb+ whenever I have checked , so I'm happy enough to be fair

But if it goes again ill be straight on and harpering aobut the lack of phone call I got that i was promised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I was meant to get a call back Wednesday, never did.

Eircom:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1011260933.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1011388266.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1011402438.png

Airwire:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1011389872.png

Fast Wireless Internet:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1011390867.png

Manchester Node:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1011391893.png

Amsterdam node:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1011396918.png

All of the above are from today. This is a 30meg UPC line. When I ftp to the media player here over wireless I get a fairly constant 55Mbit/s to it without issue. So the wireless in the house is fine, it's an A/G/N router anyway with only N clients so no problems.

I suspect UPC in Carlow is contended to hell and back.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Mines been grand all week. The guy I was talkin to was supposed to ring me back this week but haven't heard anything yet but as long as its Workin I don't really care.

Have noticed that my external ip has been changed which would make me think I have been put on a different exchange or something as connection has been perfect since the change.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mines been grand all week. The guy I was talkin to was supposed to ring me back this week but haven't heard anything yet but as long as its Workin I don't really care.

Have noticed that my external ip has been changed which would make me think I have been put on a different exchange or something as connection has been perfect since the change.

A remote reboot will assign a different IP address- unless you pay the extra to have a static IP address assigned to you. If you turn off your cable modem for more than a few mins- you'll get a different IP address also. Can be handy if you're looking to cycle your IP address :)

• Advertisement

just an update, since the initial hickup of wiring, its been flying along.

Over 26mb/s most times I test, massive download speeds and everything is rosey, bye bye wireless :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sleeplessoul

I haven't had much problems with them but the last few days it's been going haywire, making my COD games a nightmare :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RazorSharp

anyone in D9 having issues again ? mines been on and off all night, speed is gone this time too, last time (when the thread originally started) the speed was fine, just couldn't play the xbox online. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 0Default0

Having similar problems in Dublin 15 *sigh*

0Default0 wrote: »
    Having similar problems in Dublin 15 *sigh*

Lucan village similar. Can't even maintain a Skype video link on a 20mb connection :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Same problem as everyone else it seems. Downloaded a torrent at 1.1mb 20mins ago, now I can't even load a simple page. I'm actually posting this on the mobile boards.

Ping requests are timing out all over the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

General web browsing gone very poor in last two weeks. I have OpenDNS configured on my laptop instead of UPC. In Ballsbridge and think we are on 15MB.

Speedtest

1071039483.png

Pingtest
    30201085.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

Gone in D14 too. Posting this on O2 3G. Have had this a couple of times in the last few weeks. Not impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

^^ Same here - D14 gone all evening. Has been off a few times recently but now its gone all night.

My 100Mb is due Sat - if it starts going like this I will be reconsidering; wouldnt be good if my TB's of downloading kept dropping off:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

^^ Same here - D14 gone all evening. Has been off a few times recently but now its gone all night.

My 100Mb is due Sat - if it starts going like this I will be reconsidering; wouldnt be good if my TB's of downloading kept dropping off:eek:

Is NTL gone in D14 again?

Using a vodafone dongle here......
    TV, phone and cable gone for the past 2 days :(
    Phone support are advising that the whole area is down (Lucan village/Weir View) but they've booked an engineer call for Saturday morning regardless.

Thankgod for our backup dongles........

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jack67

anyone have any broadband trouble last night in the navan rd d7 area,i couldnt even open simple web pages,speedtest/ping tests kept timing out,then every few minutes would lose internet connection,only signed up last wednesday:confused:any info would be very grateful tks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I only got UPC 15mb installed Saturday morning and the speeds are very slow. 1.08mb to the 2.00mb mark. Seems to be a lot of people having problems with speeds at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jack67

jofspring not a very encouraging start is it?where are u based?im thinking of jumping ship and getting out with the 7 day cooling off period,can anyone out there tell me whats going on.:mad:

jack67 wrote: »
    jofspring not a very encouraging start is it?where are u based?im thinking of jumping ship and getting out with the 7 day cooling off period,can anyone out there tell me whats going on.:mad:

I'm in Limerick. I wasn't expecting to get 15mb but certainly more than what I am. I'm getting similar speeds to what i was paying eircom €25 for.

I'd be afraid if I got rid of it I would be jumping the gun a bit but I don't want to be stuck paying more money for the same services either.

Would be great if anybody had more info on this as I know if I ring UPC I will most likely struggle for any kind of straight forward answers.

The strange thing about this is the speedtests I am doing on it are coming up at very low speeds but UPC's speedtests are saying 14mb download. There is no way my speeds are close to that at the moment which is very suspicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Jofspring wrote: »
    I'm in Limerick. I wasn't expecting to get 15mb but certainly more than what I am. I'm getting similar speeds to what i was paying eircom €25 for.

I'd be afraid if I got rid of it I would be jumping the gun a bit but I don't want to be stuck paying more money for the same services either.

Would be great if anybody had more info on this as I know if I ring UPC I will most likely struggle for any kind of straight forward answers.

The strange thing about this is the speedtests I am doing on it are coming up at very low speeds but UPC's speedtests are saying 14mb download. There is no way my speeds are close to that at the moment which is very suspicious.

if you havent already disabled the IP flood protection do it. Downlaod a real file from a large pipe such as http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/centos/5.5/isos/x86_64/CentOS-5.5-x86_64-LiveCD.iso and see what speed you get.

Cheers lynchie,

That seems to have sorted it out. Getting much better results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

Down again for me in D14. It's been a couple of hours now. Anyone else?

Advertisement