Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Front derailleur works, no it doesn't

• 17-10-2010 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Twice now I've had shop mechanics adjust my front derailleur. Both times it worked perfectly when standing beside the bike turning the pedals by hand, but sitting on the bike I can't shift to lower cog at all and can only get to middle by downshifting twice and upshifting once. Anyone got any ideas what it might be before I bring it back to a shop again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Find a better mechanic. Seriously, I had a similar problem where my front derailleur would shift onto the big ring perfectly when on the workstand but refused to do it cycling. It just took a bit of fine tuning and patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Things tend to shift differently under load. Are you easing off on the pedals a bit as you shift or are you still applying a good bit of power?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Is the cable too slack when on the small cog? It should have a tiny bit of slack, that's all. It could have stretched if it's a new cable fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Find a better mechanic. Seriously, I had a similar problem where my front derailleur would shift onto the big ring perfectly when on the workstand but refused to do it cycling. It just took a bit of fine tuning and patience.

In fairness to them I've only made the connection now.
    Raam wrote: »
    Things tend to shift differently under load. Are you easing off on the pedals a bit as you shift or are you still applying a good bit of power?

Situation is same in both instances, though if applying pressure I can't get it to return to big cog.
    Is the cable too slack when on the small cog? It should have a tiny bit of slack, that's all. It could have stretched if it's a new cable fitted.

No new cable, just quicked fidgeting.

Thanks guys, I think I'll just bring it back in to the shop and explain situation more clearly.

Advertisement