Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

greendom wrote: »
    He's running out of clubs isn't he. Can't see him going to Liverpool - if he wants to stay in the North West it has to be Tranmere. He'd be delighted to go back to Merseyside.

He could be their greatest since John Aldridge, lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

TheDoc wrote: »
    This is just getting headlines because its Rooney, a far more worrying situation for Strikers in my view is Torres at liverpool. Looks jaded and unwilling, clearly regrests his move and will be gone in January or Summer. That loss will be a proper blow for a football club.

***posted before press conferance,***

Agree with the rest of the post but this isn't true, jaded he is yes, after the WC and injuries, but he will come back to form in time. He was at trainign at 7 o'clock the other morning 3 hours before traiining began to work on his own, he wants to get back more to top form and he'll work as hard as he can to do it. Sorry for the off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Le King wrote: »
    I refuse to discuss financial analysis with you. Your full of it, you'd think you might of learned something about finance living in Frankfurt. Obviously not.

You refuse to discuss it with anyone, just keep saying utd are the best run team in the league, I'd like to know why you think making a huge loss is not a problem for utd or a least point me to reason why you think so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

His missus won't leave England, so he's off to Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭secman

Never trust a " SCOUSER".

He behaves like an idiot over the last 6 months and now it United's fault !
    If thats your attitude Wayne.....good riddance. January can't come soon enough. No player is bigger than the club.

SecmaN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

gavredking wrote: »
    We dont want him........unless its going cost us at max 20 million :p

Apparently Ancelloti says differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh the curses of not being a Sky subcribing monkey, how is Fergie sounding about all this? Blustery "its still business as usual" type stuff or has this one got to him? Amazed they let this fester if it was known in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

mike65 wrote: »
    Oh the curses of not being a Sky subcribing monkey, how is Fergie sounds about all this? Blustery "its still business as usual" type stuff or has this one got to him? Amazed they let this fester if it ws known in the summer.
    It seems to have got to him.

He seems more bemused and upset than angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

niallo27 wrote: »
    You refuse to discuss it with anyone, just keep saying utd are the best run team in the league, I'd like to know why you think making a huge loss is not a problem for utd or a least point me to reason why you think so

Bring me somebody who is able to have a conversation without reading the back of the Daily Mail to see how fúcked United are financially.

I'll bet you €100,000 right now, or anybody else, for that matter that United won't go bust before 2020.

Any of the United are fúcked brigade want to take me up on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Are we going to get to hear from Wayne Rooney then?

Would be nice if he came out and explained his reasons, to give everyone else involved a chance to understand the situation as he sees it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Oh the curses of not being a Sky subcribing monkey, how is Fergie sounds about all this? Blustery "its still business as usual" type stuff or has this one got to him? Amazed they let this fester if it was known in the summer.

He sounded like a close relative had died

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Jigga wrote: »
    When was Rooney ever loyal? Look at the way he fucked over his childhood club Everton. The way he left them was a disgrace which United and Ferguson helped happen that way who deserve this shitstorm that they are in now.
    I said loyal to United, what happened with Everton is irrelevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

baz2009 wrote: »
    He has said he wants to stay with United, loves United etc. etc., nearly sure I saw him throw a few digs at City, too.

Plus, Tevez isn't English so it'll always be different, tbh.

Yet he's a self confessed Everton fan and I believe will raise his kids as such. He also notoriously was "forever a blue". Is this really THAT suprising?

I don't see him being English as anything of note. Giggs is Welsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Fergie quotes from skysports.com

"I was in the office on 14th August and David phoned me to say he wasn't signing a contract.

"I was dumbfounded. Only months before he was saying he was at the greatest club in the world.

"I asked to have a meeting with the boy. He reiterated what his agent said, that he wanted to go."

Sorry if its already been posted, this is such a surprise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The more saddending news for me and the bigger worry is Sir Alex himself.

You could see when he formed a team around Rooney and ronaldo that he had a new lease of life and a new hunger. To bring this team which he felt would be an unstoppable force, and in many ways he was right.

United should have been a dominating European force with Rooneyand ronaldo at the helm.

Having two players that he pretty much nurtured to glory, turn on him like this and leave for pastures anew must break his heart as it would break anyones.

Winning doesnt seem to be the end all. You can see he gets tremendous pride and challenge from forging new teams into winners when many think otherwise, how people still doubt his teams is beyond me.

I'd be worried that this might make SAf question his ability to keep building teams to get success if his best creations simply leave him.

I've no doubt that Rooney wouldnt be half the player if he wasnt coached and mentored by the united staff.

He made a right balls of career in my view, and I dont think he is a hot commedty as he might feel.

He has been terribly out of form and doesnt look to improve anytime soon, and having a difficult situation at home doesnt make things better.

Also having one good goal scoring return for united doesnt exactly give him the right to this ego trip. Granted he was played out of position, he ws played out of position because of a portugeuse lad who was streets ahead of him.

SAf is a stonethrow to the old days of management. Let him rot on the bench till his contract expires, teach him a hard lesson.

LOL what's happening in 2020?

Debt 2017. Also a bet has to be settled at sometime. But that's probably hard for you to figure out eh? 6s and 7's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Debt is being taken care of, thanks very much.

If you can't see that Liverpool came within a hairs breath of following Leeds, and that United are only a few steps behind Liverpool on that same path, you must be blind.

The one advantage Liverpool has over United is that they managed to hold onto their two best players. If the loss of Rooney pushes Untied into fifth at the end of this season it's goodbye to the the top 4 for many years to come.

Doubt Rooney will go to City, aren't they already in trouble with FIFA/uefa over their huge wage bill? Also based on recent form, they don't need him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

For people questioning his loyalty,

He couldn't be loyal to his wife, that is the type of person he is, Why would he treat the club any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Why would Torres leave one sinking ship to join another?

To avoid a relegation battle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yet he's a self confessed Everton fan and I believe will raise his kids as such. He also notoriously was "forever a blue". Is this really THAT suprising?

I don't see him being English as anything of note. Giggs is Welsh.

British players should understand it more than South Americans(Yes I know they have rivalries in SA, too;)). I'd be disappointed in him, because he'd know right well what it'd mean to the United fans if he moved to City. And to be fair, we have treated him like a God since he moved here.

• Advertisement

Bring me somebody who is able to have a conversation without reading the back of the Daily Mail to see how fúcked United are financially.

I'll bet you €100,000 right now, or anybody else, for that matter that United won't go bust before 2020.

I never said anything about going bust, I'm talking about utd not be able to compete with the big clubs in the transfer market, thus affecting their on field performances, this debt has to have some affect, we had to learn the hard way at Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Debt 2017. Also a bet has to be settled at sometime. But that's probably hard for you to figure out eh? 6s and 7's?

Le King your hilarious, reminds me of a man trying to keep the tide out with a yard brush. Debt is dismantling your team, face facts.

Refusing to answer a question or back-up their statements. A sure sign of someone clearly talking out of their a$$.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

As always the bookies are right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

TheDoc wrote: »
    I've no doubt that Rooney wouldnt be half the player if he wasnt coached and mentored by the united staff.

LOL! yeh coz players of half rooneys ability score a hattrick on their cl debut at 18...

Why would Torres leave one sinking ship to join another?

I get your point, but from a certain perspective United might look like a better option.

Through the years of transition I cant remember a season where United still werent up there or there abouts.

Liverpools transitions see them slump so far.

united squad as a whole looks alot more attractive, from starting eleven even to the bench.

As a striker also, he might feel that the service and players around him might suit him better to advance himself.

I know I'd rather play up front of a united team that has passes fed by scholes, crosses throw in by nani and valencia and short 1-2's with Berbatov..

Rather been lumped up on my own feeding of scraps from mediocre players : /

Daemos wrote: »
    Refusing to answer a question or back-up their statements. A sure sign of someone clearly talking out of their a$$.

Says the chap posting rubbish.

I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Will be gutted to lose Rooney. Cant understand at all why he wants to leave. Hope he goes abroad.

Man Utd >>>> any player. As always, we'll come back stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

• Advertisement

If you can't see that Liverpool came within a hairs breath of following Leeds, and that United are only a few steps behind Liverpool on that same path, you must be blind.

The one advantage Liverpool has over United is that they managed to hold onto their two best players. If the loss of Rooney pushes Untied into fifth at the end of this season it's goodbye to the the top 4 for many years to come.

Doubt Rooney will go to City, aren't they already in trouble with FIFA/uefa over their huge wage bill? Also based on recent form, they don't need him.

They will remain a top four side, only because the league is full of teams who look brilliant one week, and either mediocre or awful the next!

Says the chap posting rubbish.

I'll leave it at that.
    Why, because you know you can't come back with a coherent response? Tell me what I said that you disagree with and I'll elaborate for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You won't go bust. There'll always be someone to come in and save a club and brand like United.

But really, the situation in the short-term does not look good. Ronaldo was sold for a world record fee. Rooney's going to be leaving soon too. Tevez wasn't kept on. Scholes and Giggs won't be around forever. Despite this, United seem unwilling or unable to sign top-quality replacements.

It's similar to what's been happening to Liverpool, only a year or two behind. It ran Liverpool into the ground, and without extremely shrewd management, it could do the same to Man Utd.

LOL! yeh coz players of half rooneys ability score a hattrick on their cl debut at 18...

Michael Bridges popped in 2 hat tricks in 3 games for Leeds if memory serves correct.... we are tlaking longterm here....

That match was a pwoering united over a weak Fenerbache.... I'm pretty sure any half decent striker could have bagged a few goals.

we are not doubting his natural ability, but you can see how his game has come on over the years, that wasnt him just figuring **** out on his own : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It understandable that a player might want to move on from a club, but Rooney has dragged United through the mud with this carry on.

I always thought Rooney was a player in the mould of the old style footballer, how wrong I was, he's completely confounded everyone I feel, I can't remember seeing a similar situation at any club at any time.

Right now I'm starting to think that our poor form might have a lot to do with Rooney's attitude poisoning the dressing room.

There's no reason for this to be happening and for the way Rooney has dealt with this situation I hope his career ends up in ruins.
    As somebody else mentioned earlier you wouldn't see Torres treating Liverpool in this way even tough he has much more reason to be angling for a move.

As a United fan I feel let down and I'd be very surprised if any prospective buyers for Rooney don't take his behaviour into account when they're weighing up an offer for him. His behaviour is unwarranted and will probably be something that will re occur over the rest of his career.

The last few days have been an insight into the weird warped world of Wayne Ronney's psyche if nothing else.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They will remain a top four side, only because the league is full of teams who look brilliant one week, and either mediocre or awful the next!

That describes United as much as Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs or City.

...sadly Liverpool haven't had the brilliant weeks this year. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I wonder if we'll make another ridiculous bid for him again. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Le King wrote:
    Debt is being taken care of, thanks very much.
    What sort of bizarro-land are you living in? How can you say the debt is being "taken care of" when it's been steadily increasing since the takeover? How can you say it's being "taken care of" when the club is being bled dry to just service the dead money on interest rate costs and fees to the Glazer's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

one things for sure:

Interesting Christmas! wonder who'll be unwrapping this (IMO on a decline and a shadow of the great he was) present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think its hilarious how now that Rooney wants to leave, suddenly he isn't half the player he was last season, and is now poisoning the dressing room.

A fickle bunch are ye United fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Utd are in serious trouble on this, Rooney can afford to sit his contract out, while the Glazers will want to sell asap. City can buy him in a trice.
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    What has happened:

- Wayne Rooney cheats on his wife and his personal life is in turmoil, subsequently his form is lost.
    - Sir Alex tells Rooney to take a break and sort his head out, in the meantime he lies to the press LIKE HE DOES NEARLY EVERY WEEK (because he hates the press) and says Wayne Rooney is injured.
    - When asked, Wayne Rooney says he is not injured.
    - The press decide this is a contradiction of the boss, they decide that Rooney and Fergie have a fight and they decide that Rooney will be leaving Manchester United.
    - The press print this non-story and all types of media run with it, as it is major if true.
    - People hear this on the radio etc and as a result, people I know who dont really like football are coming up to me and saying "So Rooney is leaving United?"
    - The Club come out and say its all nonsence. The only actual quote so far from anyone.
    - A new thread was started about a rumour that should have been in the superthread.

What will happen:
    - Wayne Rooney or Sir Alex will come out and say that there has been no breakdown in relations.
    - Wayne Rooney will stay at Manchester United.
    - The press, in an attempt to cover their gigantic pile of shíte story, will run a new story about how Fergie and Rooney had an "air it out" no holding back 1 to 1, heart to heart talk and Ferguson convinced Rooney to stay.
    - Further rumours will be put in the superthreads, not have their own threads.

Thats how I see it, I may be wrong, but these stories pop up all the time, and I think this one is snowballing because Wayne Rooney is public enemy #1 in England at the mo... Oh yeah and the tabloids are absolute flith.
    So then are we about the see the first Utd star player get the better of Fergie? Could be cobblers could be the transfer sensation of the last decade. Yes bigger than Sol Campbell!
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This is pantomime stuff tbh. Simply put, the story has broken too far away from the realistic transfer window he can move in. Moving to City would be cartoon villain stuff.

He'll eventually come back into form, sign a new contract, and the media will **** themselves silly over Ferguson's "man management" skills.
    He'll leave.

Okay he still hasn't left...

• Advertisement

That describes United as much as Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs or City.

...sadly Liverpool haven't had the brilliant weeks this year. :/

Liverpool haven't looked brilliant ... period!

Only Chelsea and 'Citeh', have that model of consistency about them

Arsenal and Spurs are good, but not exactly 'formidable'.

Fergie's character and experience will prevent a serious embarrasment on the pitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

As a Utd fan for all my life, I'm terribly dissapointed with the news and angry at Wayne Rooney as many others are, I cant understand why he wants out but the bottom line is he does. So the club has to do what it has to do and stand by what it has always been about and thats having players at the club who WANT to play for Manchester Utd, take as much money for him as we can get and for gods sake re-invest it, we cannot afford not to or we will end up fighting mid table before long. The team is already looking shakey and we need to sign one or two top class players and can do that with the money we get for Rooney.

I believe we can come back from this as we have before, But we are now facing loosing Scholes, Giggs and Rooney, however I would imagine Scholes and Giggs will hang on as long as they can to help the club while it rebuilds, but it needs to be now.

One silver lining I do see here is that I believe the new lad Javier Hernandez is quality, and I really do think he will step up in the next few months and who knows, one or two seasons down the line on of our top players and maybe even world class, he has all the skills there and Fergie see's that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Why does he have the no. 9 on all his training gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

So people reckon he could of played his last game for utd then?

Got a warning for the cracking up comment, ****en joke, is thanks 4 the fish a manc or what, there will be no one left on the site if this ****e continues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeah I do, you have absolutely no ****ing idea what you're talking about. You have utterly mis-analysed the problems and the potential problems facing United and the fact that you think that going bust is the issue shows that you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Loads of people have talked about:
    • a massively reduced transfer spend
    • massively increased ticket prices
    • a Football Club run like its only purpose is to bloody give cash to its owners

Every since the takeover people in the we are ****ed brigage having been saying that transfer spend will be down, that ticket prices will go up, and guess what ...

We sold the best player in the world for 80 million euro. World record transfer fee. It wasn't re-invested into the squad, why because Fergie said that there is no value or not players who can improve our team. Who the **** believes that?
    We've had massive interests in ticket prices.
    We've had the Glazers pay themselves massive fees for their own profit, all the while raping the business which is sustaining them.

So where are we?
    • We are now in 3rd place in the league after 8 games, already 5 points behind Chelsea and behind the ****ing bitters.
    • We have just been told that we are losing who nearly everybody will agree is our best player in the squad, even if his form this season hasn't matched it.
    • We lost the best player in the world to Real Madrid 2 years ago, the first time in over a decade that we have had to sell a player who we desperately wanted to keep.
    • Ticket prices have increased every single year, and now the stadium is filled with ****ers who leave 5 minutes early to beat the traffic.
    • A huge bunch of people who have followed United since they were bloody 5 now support a different club.
    • he owners have no reasonable way to pay off the PIKs, so until they accept this or magically re-finance in this absolutely stellar economic climate our low net spend and increased ticket prices are going to remain.

So what can we look forward to? The best thing that could happen to United's on the pitch performances in the next 5 years without any doubt is new owners. For this season and the next?

I'm hoping beyond hope, that Ferguson the football manager, of whom I have the greatest respect for, can somehow pull something magical out of the bag.

I'm hoping that Anderson, Hargreaves, Evans, Rafael, Fabio, Hernandez and Cleverly all become top class players and stay fit.

I'm hoping that Vidic, Evra, Fletcher, Nani and Berbatov don't begin to question whether United who have just sold their two best players to pay off their debts is really the best place for them.

I'm hoping that when Fergie retires, that we still have the gravitas to attract somebody like Mourinho who can really do justice as the next United manager after Fergie.

Because if these things don't happen, we're going to be going into a bloody long-term decline, and even when we get rid of these ****ing owners, it's not going to be easy to climb back up.

So please, take you ****ing head out of the sand, and lose you're know it all attitude despite the fact that every single post you write shows you're utter lack of understanding of anything. If you want to post utter drivel in support of United no matter what, go to redcafe, that's what its there for. On this forum, we talk about the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

baz2009 wrote: »
    British players should understand it more than South Americans(Yes I know they have rivalries in SA, too;)). I'd be disappointed in him, because he'd know right well what it'd mean to the United fans if he moved to City. And to be fair, we have treated him like a God since he moved here.

Okay but Rooney has kissed the United crest for the purpose of antagonising Everton fans. Clearly riling people up, or getting riled up himself, comes fairly naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I'd like to know what United are doing to try and talk him out of it. They've known for 2 months that he wasn't going to sign a new contract yet they don't know why? They should be pulling out all the stops to get him to stay or at least find out why he actually wants to leave.

Remember in March, he said he wanted to stay for life. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think its hilarious how now that Rooney wants to leave, suddenly he isn't half the player he was last season, and is now poisoning the dressing room.

A fickle bunch are ye United fans.

If I can ask just one thing from anyone in this thread its not to tar everyone with the same brush. When fully fit Rooney will be back to the awesome player that he is and any club who gets him will be lucky to have him play for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Lukker- wrote: »
    Why does he have the no. 9 on all his training gear?

Just in case Carroll goes to jail.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement