Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I don't know what Fergie's game is divulging this information with 2 and a half months still to go before the January transfer window opens. Is he trying to shame Rooney into signing a new contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    If I can ask just one thing from anyone in this thread its not to tar everyone with the same brush. When fully fit Rooney will be back to the awesome player that he is and any club who gets him will be lucky to have him play for them.

I wouldn't and I'd say plenty of United fans are realistic about things. Some were thinking Rooney is this shining white knight example, defending absolutely anything he did. Was gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

nice timing though. Wait till all the liverpool publicity was over and done with then hit them with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    If I can ask just one thing from anyone in this thread its not to tar everyone with the same brush. When fully fit Rooney will be back to the awesome player that he is and any club who gets him will be lucky to have him play for them.
    Will he? Rooney has said that he is fully fit, and he doesn't know why SAF said he wasn't.

The past few months disagree. He looks a shadow of himself a season ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It's similar to what's been happening to Liverpool, only a year or two behind. It ran Liverpool into the ground, and without extremely shrewd management, it could do the same to Man Utd.
    Agree totally.

United have went from Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo to Nani, Valencia and Berbatov; even the most blinkered United fan has to admit that that's a far inferior attacking line-up. Not only that, but you have older players like Giggs and Scholes who haven't been properly replaced. To compound all that, you have the likes of Ferdinand, Evra, etc. players whose form has declined significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I don't know what Fergie's game is divulging this information with 2 and a half months still to go before the January transfer window opens. Is he trying to shame Rooney into signing a new contract?

Well its not as if he just spouted it out.

If this has been the case since August well then I surprised it hasnt surfaced in the media beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

PHB wrote: »

I don't often agree with PHB, but he's completely right. Hopefully similar opinions will permeate to the rank-and-file support sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Yeah I do, you have absolutely no ****ing idea what you're talking about. You have utterly mis-analysed the problems and the potential problems facing United and the fact that you think that going bust is the issue shows that you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Loads of people have talked about:
    • a massively reduced transfer spend
    • massively increased ticket prices
    • a Football Club run like its only purpose is to bloody give cash to its owners

Every since the takeover people in the we are ****ed brigage having been saying that transfer spend will be down, that ticket prices will go up, and guess what ...

We sold the best player in the world for 80 million euro. World record transfer fee. It wasn't re-invested into the squad, why because Fergie said that there is no value or not players who can improve our team. Who the **** believes that?
    We've had massive interests in ticket prices.
    We've had the Glazers pay themselves massive fees for their own profit, all the while raping the business which is sustaining them.

So where are we?
    • We are now in 3rd place in the league after 8 games, already 5 points behind Chelsea and behind the ****ing bitters.
    • We have just been told that we are losing who nearly everybody will agree is our best player in the squad, even if his form this season hasn't matched it.
    • We lost the best player in the world to Real Madrid 2 years ago, the first time in over a decade that we have had to sell a player who we desperately wanted to keep.
    • Ticket prices have increased every single year, and now the stadium is filled with ****ers who leave 5 minutes early to beat the traffic.
    • A huge bunch of people who have followed United since they were bloody 5 now support a different club.
    • he owners have no reasonable way to pay off the PIKs, so until they accept this or magically re-finance in this absolutely stellar economic climate our low net spend and increased ticket prices are going to remain.

So what can we look forward to? The best thing that could happen to United's on the pitch performances in the next 5 years without any doubt is new owners. For this season and the next?

I'm hoping beyond hope, that Ferguson the football manager, of whom I have the greatest respect for, can somehow pull something magical out of the bag.

I'm hoping that Anderson, Hargreaves, Evans, Rafael, Fabio, Hernandez and Cleverly all become top class players and stay fit.

I'm hoping that Vidic, Evra, Fletcher, Nani and Berbatov don't begin to question whether United who have just sold their two best players to pay off their debts is really the best place for them.

I'm hoping that when Fergie retires, that we still have the gravitas to attract somebody like Mourinho who can really do justice as the next United manager after Fergie.

Because if these things don't happen, we're going to be going into a bloody long-term decline, and even when we get rid of these ****ing owners, it's not going to be easy to climb back up.

So please, take you ****ing head out of the sand, and lose you're know it all attitude despite the fact that every single post you write shows you're utter lack of understanding of anything. If you want to post utter drivel in support of United no matter what, go to redcafe, that's what its there for. On this forum, we talk about the real world.

I will definitely reply to this later. Some interesting points you have brought up. However, you are nothing short of scaremongering.

You can ploy that shíte to anybody but not me. Honestly, don't talk about the state of a club without quoting a single financial number.

Increased ticket prices, PIKs, for fúck sake PHB, read the accounts we have even covered for a currency exchange rate that won't exist in 2017. If you really think we have no way to pay of PIKs then I'm not the one with my head in the sand.

Go take your Red Knight's and G+G shíte and shove it. The bunch of "United" fans who told lies to try get control of the club

I'll reply to this crap later.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't read Man U related threads too often, but things I've learned from this thread are:

1. Some opposition fans troll man u related threads as well. Not much fun had by man u fans.
    2. Some man u fans really do think all is rosy financially. I don't think they will end up in the same near administration state as Liverpool as their income is so big, but the repayments are already affecting spending, and will do for years to come, while the level of debt and world situation means that finding a buyer now who will pay the glazers enough to see them go would be very challenging.
    3. Some other manu fans think it's fine to brush off Rooney and Ronaldo being sold as 'pleyers they couldnt keep' while some of the same people perhaps said that liverpool losing Alonso and Masch was the clubs fault for selling.
    4. Reality will bite at some point. Not as hard as Liverpools reality probably, but it will bite.
    5. Despite all and the way it's looking now, Rooney will likely still be where he is now this time next year. That's not strictly a learning, but just an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

TheDoc wrote: »
    Michael Bridges popped in 2 hat tricks in 3 games for Leeds if memory serves correct.... we are tlaking longterm here....

That match was a pwoering united over a weak Fenerbache.... I'm pretty sure any half decent striker could have bagged a few goals.

we are not doubting his natural ability, but you can see how his game has come on over the years, that wasnt him just figuring **** out on his own : /

he's been awesome the last 9 months hasnt he?!?!

No matter what club rooney ended up at he would have been one of the top english strikers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just noticed that the number 10 shirt is currently vacant at City.

How convenient....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I know any comment from opposing fans is almost always met with hostility esp about talk of Utd decline but thats a great post PHB, sums up the enivronment very well. In three summer sUtd will have lost three first class strikers, and unlike Ronaldo Rooney can leave very cheap as he buys out his contract.

Fergie will then have to decide if he wants to spend 2 or 3 years reshaping the side as the warhorses retire and certain others are deemed not good enough (as always happens) while knowing that he won't have the latitude to spend as before. He might just reckon as he looks at City, Chelsea and Arsenal (to a slightly lesser degree) that the chances of landing the magical no 19 are few and far between and decides to quit in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Le King wrote: »
    I will definitely reply to this later. Some interesting points you have brought up. However, you are nothing short of scaremongering.

You can ploy that shíte to anybody but not me. Honestly, don't talk about the state of a club without quoting a single financial number.

Increased ticket prices, PIKs, for fúck sake PHB, read the accounts we have even covered for a currency exchange rate that won't exist in 2017. If you really think we have no way to pay of PIKs then I'm not the one with my head in the sand.

Go take your Red Knight's and G+G shíte and shove it. The bunch of "United" fans who told lies to try get control of the club

I'll reply to this crap later.

The fcuking irony.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just noticed that the number 10 shirt is currently vacant at City.

How convenient....

Despite saying you wouldn't like to see him sign for city, how long would it be before you had a sig banner done up for him? 5 minutes or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

mike65 wrote: »
    I know any comment from opposing fans is almost always met with hostility esp about talk of Utd decline but thats a great post PHB, sums up the enivronment very well. In three summer sUtd will have lost three first class strikers, and unlike Ronaldo Rooney can leave very cheap as he buys out his contract.

Fergie will then have to decide if he wants to spend 2 or 3 years reshaping the side as the warhorses retire and certain others are deemed not good enough (as always happens) while knowing that he won't have the latitude to spend as before. He might just reckon as he looks at City, Chelsea and Arsenal (to a slightly lesser degree) that the chances of landing the magical no 19 are few and far between and decides to quit in the summer.

25 seasons has a nice ring to it!

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Despite saying you wouldn't like to see him sign for city, how long would it be before you had a sig banner done up for him? 5 minutes or so?

I'd say he's got one done already. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well with the current implosion of the interweb I'm starting to warm to the idea.

Sig would be up before he'd inked the contract ;)

Doubt there will be any swap deal. They are probably trying to sell him now and get some pre agreement going before January. I'd say they will get maybe 30 mill at the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm usually being ironic when I nominate Posts of the Year, but this is undoubtedly Post of the Year IMO.
    Yeah I do, you have absolutely no ****ing idea what you're talking about. You have utterly mis-analysed the problems and the potential problems facing United and the fact that you think that going bust is the issue shows that you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Loads of people have talked about:
    • a massively reduced transfer spend
    • massively increased ticket prices
    • a Football Club run like its only purpose is to bloody give cash to its owners

Every since the takeover people in the we are ****ed brigage having been saying that transfer spend will be down, that ticket prices will go up, and guess what ...

We sold the best player in the world for 80 million euro. World record transfer fee. It wasn't re-invested into the squad, why because Fergie said that there is no value or not players who can improve our team. Who the **** believes that?
    We've had massive interests in ticket prices.
    We've had the Glazers pay themselves massive fees for their own profit, all the while raping the business which is sustaining them.

So where are we?
    • We are now in 3rd place in the league after 8 games, already 5 points behind Chelsea and behind the ****ing bitters.
    • We have just been told that we are losing who nearly everybody will agree is our best player in the squad, even if his form this season hasn't matched it.
    • We lost the best player in the world to Real Madrid 2 years ago, the first time in over a decade that we have had to sell a player who we desperately wanted to keep.
    • Ticket prices have increased every single year, and now the stadium is filled with ****ers who leave 5 minutes early to beat the traffic.
    • A huge bunch of people who have followed United since they were bloody 5 now support a different club.
    • he owners have no reasonable way to pay off the PIKs, so until they accept this or magically re-finance in this absolutely stellar economic climate our low net spend and increased ticket prices are going to remain.

So what can we look forward to? The best thing that could happen to United's on the pitch performances in the next 5 years without any doubt is new owners. For this season and the next?

I'm hoping beyond hope, that Ferguson the football manager, of whom I have the greatest respect for, can somehow pull something magical out of the bag.

I'm hoping that Anderson, Hargreaves, Evans, Rafael, Fabio, Hernandez and Cleverly all become top class players and stay fit.

I'm hoping that Vidic, Evra, Fletcher, Nani and Berbatov don't begin to question whether United who have just sold their two best players to pay off their debts is really the best place for them.

I'm hoping that when Fergie retires, that we still have the gravitas to attract somebody like Mourinho who can really do justice as the next United manager after Fergie.

Because if these things don't happen, we're going to be going into a bloody long-term decline, and even when we get rid of these ****ing owners, it's not going to be easy to climb back up.

So please, take you ****ing head out of the sand, and lose you're know it all attitude despite the fact that every single post you write shows you're utter lack of understanding of anything. If you want to post utter drivel in support of United no matter what, go to redcafe, that's what its there for. On this forum, we talk about the real world.

• Advertisement

If he plays for City like Tevez does why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'd say its done & ready to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

SkyBet reckon it will be a £30.5m fee

MaceFace wrote: »
    whats that? 4 mill more than they bought him for?

not too shabby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nyaw, I can't watch for fear of bursting into tears. So glad I don't have college today.

Gonna kick the **** out of the football at training this evening. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Fergie shouldn't have let him get married then it wouldn't be such a big issue if he cheated on his girlfriend

Ush1 wrote: »
    Doubt there will be any swap deal. They are probably trying to sell him now and get some pre agreement going before January. I'd say they will get maybe 30 mill at the most.

I think they'd be lucky to get 30 million for him imo. Not playing particularly well, contract almost up. 15 maybe. At a push 20.

Fergie shouldn't have let him get married then it wouldn't be such a big issue if he cheated on his girlfriend

I hope this post is sarcastic mate.

18 months on his contract, out of form, carrying an injury and he wants to leave. If Real and City get involved, it will be silly money. If not, £20 million or so could do it, I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Time for a bloody username change I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Have to hold my hand up and say I was wrong. Im shocked. Why is he leaving? He fúcked a prossy and wrecked his life, so he plays terrible, so he gets dropped... So he leaves the club? Good luck Wayne Gascoigne.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Time for a bloody username change I think.

LOL

This has made my day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just why he wants to leave is such a mystery. If he actually did make a transfer request in August 14, he obviously hoped to move before the transfer window closed and no longer wants to be there but who was he hoping to join? Has someone like Mourinho, Mancini or even Benitez tapped him up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I've being reading this and other threads about the place for the last hour or so. 90% of it is he's gone, played his last game ect. Maybe I'm being naive or something but it all just stinks to me of some very hardcore contract negotiations. Fergie played a blinder today and it will be intresting to see what the Rooney camp come back with.

My take on it anyway.

MaceFace wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I think they'd be lucky to get 30 million for him imo. Not playing particularly well, contract almost up. 15 maybe. At a push 20.
    18 months on his contract, out of form, carrying an injury and he wants to leave. If Real and City get involved, it will be silly money. If not, £20 million or so could do it, I reckon.

Hello! He can buy himself out next summer for 5 million plus loose change, everyone will know that so even if there was an attempt tp sell him in January Utds best hope would be that one club wants to trump another and moves quickly. Even then the price would be pretty low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Utd not hanging around with adjusting to life without Rooney :D

http://twitpic.com/2yzfhr/full

Hello! He can buy himself out next summer for 5 million plus loose change, everyone will know that so even if there was an attempt tp sell him in January Utds best hope would be that one club wants to trump another and moves quickly. Even then the price would be pretty low.

I'm pretty sure it's kind of an unwritten rule that that's "not done" amongst the big clubs.

Might not mean much, but it might too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

United wouldn't want to sell him to another English club. Barca could call.

This Webster ruling is bandied about all the time, but it has never once been used. I don't Rooney will be the first to test the waters.

• Advertisement

Yeah, 30 mill euro max. Could be closer to 25. Clubs don't usually spend a whole lot in Jan anyway.

This Webster ruling is bandied about all the time, but it has never once been used. I don't Rooney will be the first to test the waters.

Ah - that's what I meant I guess...

Ah, but plenty of people thought hed stay at UTD forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I've being reading this and other threads about the place for the last hour or so. 90% of it is he's gone, played his last game ect. Maybe I'm being naive or something but it all just stinks to me of some very hardcore contract negotiations. Fergie played a blinder today and it will be intresting to see what the Rooney camp come back with.

My take on it anyway.

There are twists and turns to come I'm sure.
    I really cant see what club would actually be better for Rooney at the moment.
    If we were in Liverpools position I'd possibly be a bit more understanding of him wanting out although it would be even more of a betrayal.
    I'd like to see him stay and recapture his form but he's insulted the club to the point that I'd find it hard to look at him the same way again.

Glazers Out!

If and I mean IF Ferguson is the reason that Rooney wants out, would the Glazers perhaps take the longer view and get rid of the manager instead of the player. They owners have no love for the club and are there purely for profit, Rooney is an asset that could concievably continue to perform for their business for the next decade. Alex Ferguson most likely isn't.

The Glazers aren't going to be looking at things from a fan's point of view and it may make more business sense to them at least to speed up Ferguson's retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yeah, 30 mill euro max. Could be closer to 25. Clubs don't usually spend a whole lot in Jan anyway.

There doesn't tend to be many high profile transfers in fairness,but I'd say your estimate could be right,but I wouldn't be surprised to see 30+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's kind of an unwritten rule that that's "not done" amongst the big clubs.

Might not mean much, but it might too...

Dunno Frank Lampard admitted that he had considered it when he was interested with re-uniting with José at Inter before he came to his senses..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Realistically there are only 3/4 clubs he could go to, maybe they won't seem that appealing and he will stay at United. Chelsea are the only English club I can see getting him (City is not enough of a change of environment), Barca, Real and Inter. Maybe he'll go on loan and then won't like it so comes back, begs for forgiveness, puts his head down and works hard at United for the rest of his career. /The end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I cant hear what Fergie said in that clip but if Rooney is to be sold Man City look like favs for 2 major reasons. He wont have to move and his wages will sky-rocket. There is talk of Tevez going to Spain in the summer as his relationship with Mancini is pretty poor by all accounts. Rooney would obviously be an ideal replacement.

Utd. would receive a couple of bids and City have the financial clout to outbid every else. I'd say around £23m would get him considering his contract expiry. Wenger was right when he said he was surprised at the remaining length of Rooney's contract. Top players should always have 2 years plus left in their contracts to avoid situations like this. Now Rooney is in total control of his future and the club are left open to his decisions. It could be Tevez out and Rooney in for City as with UEFA's new rules regarding wage restrictions coming in, City cant have them both.

folan wrote: »
    Ah, but plenty of people thought hed stay at UTD forever.

Don't think many people expected a high profile player like Steve McManaman to be the first big name Bosman move either, I could easily see Rooney do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

nullzero wrote: »
    I really cant see what club would actually be better for Rooney at the moment.
    There are plenty of clubs that are bigger than United at the minute. They are a club in decline and no immediate financial ability to overcome it. By the end of this year United could be without Giggs, VDS, Scholes and Rooney. Worse still they could be without Fergie.

The question isn't where is better for him, its which one to choose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement