Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

folan wrote: »
    Will he? Rooney has said that he is fully fit, and he doesn't know why SAF said he wasn't.

The past few months disagree. He looks a shadow of himself a season ago.

Yes I would be 99% confident he will. Maybe he needs the clean break away from United to get himself back on track. Whether it was the injury or it was praying on his mind all season that he wants to go (lets face it he hasnt been at it this season like we know he can be) there is something bothering him. All im saying is that when thats gone he will be back to being an awesome footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

That_Guy wrote: »
    LOL

This has made my day.

I went from guest to logged on just to thank that post. Top man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Quazzie wrote: »
    There are plenty of clubs that are bigger than United at the minute. They are a club in decline and no immediate financial ability to overcome it. By the end of this year United could be without Giggs, VDS, Scholes and Rooney. Worse still they could be without Fergie.

The question isn't where is better for him, its which one to choose.

I never said bigger, I said better as in suited to the player.
    Any club that goes in for him has a 50 50 chance on his form, he could be great or he could continue as is, in which case he's looking at the bench and the club are looking at throwing huge money at him for nothing.

If you're going to quote me please read what i've posted before you attempt to set me straight, it tends to help with you not making yourself look stupid.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

nullzero wrote: »

In fairness if we're going to judge a club by which Rooney is most suited too, he would never have left Everton.

Incidently, does anyone know what kind (if any) of sell-on clause their was in his move from Everton to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Any club that goes in for him has a 50 50 chance on his form, he could be great or he could continue as is, in which case he's looking at the bench and the club are looking at throwing huge money at him for nothing.

If you're going to quote me please read what i've posted before you attempt to set me straight, it tends to help with you not making yourself look stupid.
    Well then lets look at it again then. Anywhere away from the English Press would be best for Rooney so that opens up a lot of possibilities. How would a move to Real over to his good friends Cristiano and away from the Red Top rags not be of benefit to Rooney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Well then lets look at it again then. Anywhere away from the English Press would be best for Rooney so that opens up a lot of possibilities. How would a move to Real over to his good friends Cristiano and away from the Red Top rags not be of benefit to Rooney?

Away from the English press?
    Because Beckham escpaed from them when he left United didn't he?
    He can't go anywhere to get away from the red tops, he has to face up to that.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i smell a mod post coming on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There are plenty of clubs that are bigger than United at the minute. They are a club in decline and no immediate financial ability to overcome it. By the end of this year United could be without Giggs, VDS, Scholes and Rooney. Worse still they could be without Fergie.

The question isn't where is better for him, its which one to choose.

The question is very much where to choose.

Every post you make seems to be a sly dig at united fans.

I'm not a united fan but it doesnt take much to have a little bit of common deceny. Thats just in general, when you are involved in a convo where the team just lost their best player, the little sarcy sly digs your making will just fuel ****e.

Its very much choosing where to go.

It is absurd to think he could walk into any big team i nthe world right now. His form has been shocking and the top teams have been doing well.

I wouldnt rate City bigger then United ( spending power does not equal club status) but its about the only logical move I see him making.

He is not Cristiano Ronaldo. He is not Leo Messi. Every top club wont be scampering for his signature.

Many a manager will probably be " hmm that would be nice, but I'm alright for now thanks".

As I said before, outside of England Rooneys reputation is not that of a top 3 player.

From watching Real so far this season he would literally not, on current form, be anywhere near Ozil or Higuin, the only two possible players he could replace.
    Barca on paper looks a good move and probably the best if I was him.

Messi on the right, Rooney central and Villa on the left looks scary to say the least. But would Barca value a big move for Rooney, I'm not so sure.

Away from the English press?
    Because Beckham escpaed from them when he left United didn't he?
    He can't go anywhere to get away from the red tops, he has to face up to that.

Beckham is different. He and his wife both actively court and encourage the tabloid media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

TheDoc wrote: »
    Many a manager will probably be " hmm that would be nice, but I'm alright for now thanks".

As I said before, outside of England Rooneys reputation is not that of a top 3 player.

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just seen the Fergie interview. All I can say is I'm really disappointed in Rooney. Getting paid a fortune a week as it is, has a manager who always leapt to his defence, fans and young kids who idolise him at Old Trafford, friends at the club, and yet he's willing to forsake all that for the lure of money. It's getting harder to find heroes in the modern game. Even if he does stay he'll still have gone down in my estimation for all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I hope the grannies in Madrid are better looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭LowOdour

in the current econmic crisis, ordinary familes are struggling to survive so id say he will get a huge amount of stick if he is leaving for finacial gain.
    There is an arrogant personality blight in the english game that is ruining the sport (andy carroll, ashley cole, JT etc). Bling bling & celeb status seems to be the most important thing to alot of them. If money is the reasoning behind rooney wanting to go, then he can be added to that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

It's getting harder to find heroes in the modern game.

Couldn't agree more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Just seen the Fergie interview. All I can say is I'm really disappointed in Rooney. Getting paid a fortune a week as it is, has a manager who always leapt to his defence, fans and young kids who idolise him at Old Trafford, friends at the club, and yet he's willing to forsake all that for the lure of money. It's getting harder to find heroes in the modern game. Even if he does stay he'll still have gone down in my estimation for all this.

Money's killing the sport, but you can't blame Rooney. It's FIFA and UEFA who are ultimately responsible. The sooner the better transfer and wage caps are introduced.

Just seen the Fergie interview. All I can say is I'm really disappointed in Rooney. Getting paid a fortune a week as it is, has a manager who always leapt to his defence, fans and young kids who idolise him at Old Trafford, friends at the club, and yet he's willing to forsake all that for the lure of money.

Change Fergie for Moyes and Old Trafford for Goodison and you could have made the exact same post when Rooney made a transfer request at Everton.

Wayne Rooney is a very tallented modern football player with no ties to Manchester United outside of financial ones. He's not there because he loves the club, the manager or the fans (who lets face it, despise Scousers like him). He's there because they pay him the most money. When that is no longer the case, as appears to be now, he'll find a club that will pay him more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

To the tune of Barry Manilow's "Mandy" - I dedicate this to a boy name Wayne :(

I remember all those strikes,
    Facebook statuses I liked,
    Jerseys of a man,
    Posters in my window,
    Cryin' with delight,
    Now I've gone into morning.

Just another day
    Logging in to RedCafe
    Opening up Boards, and the news it dismays me,
    I never realized how happy you made me.

Oh
    Rooney
    well you came and you left without staying
    But we sent you away
    oh Rooney
    Well you kissed the crest and now you're vacating,
    And we need you today
    oh Rooney.

I'm standing on the edge of sor-row,
    I remember the joy in Mos-cow,
    Welling up because, you were my fave signing,
    The tears are in my mind and nothing is rhyming.

Oh
    Rooney
    But we sent you away
    oh Rooney
    And we need you today
    oh Rooney.

The brazzer's just a phase - we'll face the morning
    Sure we may be broke
    But now we've got Smalling

Oh
    Rooney
    But we sent you away
    oh Rooney
    And we need you today
    oh Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

orourkeda wrote: »

They will tell him, while havin' it off, that they remember life under Franco.

Wayne will go, "Who the f*ck was Franco, la?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Brings a tear to the eye Archi :D

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »

Plenty of brothels there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

This thread is going go on and on until Rooney leaves, if he ever leaves. I dont think I have that much popcorn. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Le King wrote: »
    Will you stop spouting that bitter shíte you always come out with. Manchester United isn't 19th in the table, but if it makes you feel better about your club making up stories about ours, then, go ahead, just don't do it in here.

Debt is being taken care of, thanks very much.

by who??

oh thats right...buy selling your talent. :rolleyes:

gavredking wrote: »
    This thread is going go on and on until Rooney leaves, if he ever leaves. I dont think I have that much popcorn. :pac:

I do, we can share :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Rooney is totally overated, he is a good player but not a great player. Only possible move i can see is city as i can't see anyone forking out enough money to buy him apart from them. I would have perfered keep Tevez and have sold Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I do, we can share :pac:

I suppose this will have to tide ye over until ye finally win something yereselves :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    I suppose this will have to tide ye over until we finally win something yereselves :rolleyes:

We're on the way up, you're on the way that.

I'm quite content at this moment in time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

United should sign Dzeko as his replacement.
    I actually think he'd be a better fit in united's team.

Dzeko with Valencia and Nanni feeding him crosses and a number 10 playing off him would be pretty scary.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I suppose this will have to tide ye over until ye finally win something yereselves :rolleyes:

Given the guy is a moderator elsewhere (and was one here), he really should tone down the gloating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

We're on the way up, you're on the way that.

I'm quite content at this moment in time.

You were saying the same last season....

My guess is it's Madrid with Benezma coming the other way. He misses Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Didn't Rooney say he doesn't want to leave England. If that is the case it is between City and Chelsea for his signature. Drogba is the wrong side of 30 yet still has a couple of years left though City look to be a better fit for him especially if Tevez moves. Barca have an outside chance as he could be their marquee signing next summer. Would love to see him at Barca. Amazing turnaround though.

• Advertisement

Given the guy is a moderator elsewhere (and was one here), he really should tone down the gloating!

Why? He's just a poster in this forum, he's as entitled to air his opinion and feelings as anyone else once he doesn't break forum charter.

Seaneh wrote: »
    United should sign Dzeko as his replacement.
    I actually think he'd be a better fit in united's team.

Dzeko with Valencia and Nanni feeding him crosses and a number 10 playing off him would be pretty scary.

If only football manager was real :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Liverpool fan here,

can I just say, firstly, that I think Fergie handled the press conference on Sky brilliantly.

I've seen him get rid of Roy, RVN, Beckham and some others, but I thought he handled this one brilliantly, fair play to him.

I also think the whole Rooney thing hurts him, more so in that he seemed to have given him a bit of special attention when things were going a bit "Pete Thong" for Wayne, and I honestly believe that WR will regret his decision, as he will never get a better fit/manager for him, ever.

My understanding is that SAF gave WR a call in South Africa, to tell him to "f**k the begrudgers" and hold your head high, while the pressure of playing for England was getting to him, and obviously his private life was heading towards "train crash-ville", although we were yet to know.

I think Rooney is making mistakes on many levels, with his desire to leave, but I just hope he leaves gracefully. His reported protestations about United not having the means to replace outgoing stalwarts are "at the near end of the scale" mis-informed, but at the "higher end" totally disingenuous.

United have always been more than one great player. Always. Ask Eric, Ruud, Roy, Paul, Jaap, Ince and many others.

My biggest hope is that Liverpool regain some sort of stability, and within the last week my hope has really grown. I'd just like to say, I love it (lol) when we beat Manu....but I love the competition more, so hand on heart, I hope (and more than that) I know, that Manu will get over this.

Am I the only person that noticed, Mancini's interview last week, "I'd rather Manchester City players womanise than drink" and in the next two days, Rooney's all like, "ta-ra lads, I'm off" :D

TheDoc wrote: »
    If only football manager was real :(

I'm talking about Reality. I think Dzeko is a monster of a player and I don't think there is a defensive pairing in the preimer league who could control him. He bosses center backs around for fun and he has fantastic feet too. Not lightening quick but could leave most center backs for dust over 10 yards, which is pretty much the most important thing.

If united for 50million for Rooney (thats me erring on the side of caution on the transfer fee) they could sign 2 world class strikers to replace him and be much better off over all.

Eh what has that got to do with anything?

Don't like the posts, report them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

If united for 50million for Rooney (thats me erring on the side of caution on the transfer fee)

If he doesn't want to go to City I really can't see United getting 50m+ for player who isn't going to sign a new contract. 35m max I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'm talking about Reality. I think Dzeko is a monster of a player and I don't think there is a defensive pairing in the preimer league who could control him. He bosses center backs around for fun and he has fantastic feet too. Not lightening quick but could leave most center backs for dust over 10 yards, which is pretty much the most important thing.

If united for 50million for Rooney (thats me erring on the side of caution on the transfer fee) they could sign 2 world class strikers to replace him and be much better off over all.

Hasn't he signed a deal to join Juve next summer anyway?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I don't know what Fergie's game is divulging this information with 2 and a half months still to go before the January transfer window opens. Is he trying to shame Rooney into signing a new contract?

It is bizarre alright...looks like to me to be getting the first digs in a dirty fight. And looking at some posts in this thread, it might be working.

Ferguson hates and distrusts the media, yet he's quite prepared to divulge that information to them when it suits despite his penchant for "protecting" his players..

I hope Rooney stays quiet and doesn't engage in it.

RasTa wrote: »
    You were saying the same last season....

My guess is it's Madrid with Benezma coming the other way. He misses Ronaldo.

But last season City did go up and United did go down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Utd would barely get half of that. His transfer fee is now around £20m-£25m. If he doesnt want to play for Utd, they have to sell rather than lose him for nothing. Clubs know this and wont pay over the odds for him. Look at Ozil who was sold on the cheap in the summer as he only had 12 months left on his contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I will streak at Ireland's next game in the Aviva stadium if Rooney goes to City.

It's not just United he wants out of, it's England. I would say his marriage is over at this point too. That or she is pushing for a fresh start in a new country, and what a fool she is if that's the case, new country new scandal is about all she will get out of a move to Spain.

Can't help but wonder if he's spoken to Roy Keane lately... you're ****ed the moment you start taking personal advice from him imo.

Hasn't he signed a deal to join Juve next summer anyway?

Never confirmed.

Sorry I wasnt been sarcastic or being smart. My only real knowledge of the player is through the game but I believe he has some serious quality in his locker.

In my game I sold Rooney of some time ago to replace him with Dzeko who was an absolute hit.

Shoulda elaborated my post better, but Rooney leaving left room for new introductions and many a trophy.

now I've strayed wayyy off topic ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ush1 wrote: »

Not on the trophy front.

Samba wrote: »
    I will streak at Ireland's next game in the Aviva stadium if Rooney goes to City.

So that's you streaking and RasTa performing a bit of the aul Bishop Brennan.

I'm keeping a record of these, and we all know what the forum thinks of welchers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ush1 wrote: »

Not really no, no Champions league or cups. Same ole imo.

He has to realise that the tabloids will follow him everywhere - Real Madrid isn't exactly less of a pressure cooker than United, and not always for on-field reasons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

So that's you streaking and RasTa performing a bit of the aul Bishop Brennan.

I'm keeping a record of these, and we all know what the forum thinks of welchers ;)

I was going to lay ridiculous odds but just in case the improbable happens, it will only cost me my dignity ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Liverpool fan here,

can I just say, firstly, that I think Fergie handled the press conference on Sky brilliantly.

I've seen him get rid of Roy, RVN, Beckham and some others, but I thought he handled this one brilliantly, fair play to him.

I also think the whole Rooney thing hurts him, more so in that he seemed to have given him a bit of special attention when things were going a bit "Pete Thong" for Wayne, and I honestly believe that WR will regret his decision, as he will never get a better fit/manager for him, ever.

My understanding is that SAF gave WR a call in South Africa, to tell him to "f**k the begrudgers" and hold your head high, while the pressure of playing for England was getting to him, and obviously his private life was heading towards "train crash-ville", although we were yet to know.

I think Rooney is making mistakes on many levels, with his desire to leave, but I just hope he leaves gracefully. His reported protestations about United not having the means to replace outgoing stalwarts are "at the near end of the scale" mis-informed, but at the "higher end" totally disingenuous.

United have always been more than one great player. Always. Ask Eric, Ruud, Roy, Paul, Jaap, Ince and many others.

My biggest hope is that Liverpool regain some sort of stability, and within the last week my hope has really grown. I'd just like to say, I love it (lol) when we beat Manu....but I love the competition more, so hand on heart, I hope (and more than that) I know, that Manu will get over this.

You sound like the people who I like watching football with. Y'know, not the smug, screeching boring twats who see football through a lense of bitterness and negativity. "You're doing **** and that makes me happy" logic.

I've been watching football long enough to see all sorts of clubs be strangled by financial mismanagement. I've sat and depressingly consoled with fans of 'hated rivals' at the way things pan out. Watched with glum interest as Leeds crashed and burned, West Ham went gaga, Liverpool was incessantly strangled and United is becoming nothing more than a debt repayment vehicle.

And never got any satisfaction from it. To beat a team on the field, to massacre them, what hilarious glee!

To watch them fall apart due to the odious workings of things that have nothing to do with football - that's just depressing.

But clearly not to many of the people on here. How pathetic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement