Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney not signing a new contract?

Comments

I wouldn't be taking Paul Merson's word as gospel.

He isn't the brightest chap at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

smodgley wrote: »
    his poor form in the WC was because he knew the poop was about to hit the fan in his private life, i do believe there is some truth in what merson has just said in SSN and that he was tapped up, why would you want to leave the biggest club in the world ? DOUBLE YOUR WAGES IS WHY (IMO)
    He isn't playing for Real.
    There would be some poetic justice if he has been tapped up.

As to why he wants to leave, maybe he's looked around him and saw Michael Carrick standing in the same colour shirt and has realised the writing is on the wall.
    Or maybe he went back to the dressing room and while putting something into his kitbag, he found that one of his new team-mates had moved in.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Can you even count
    I can.
    Can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be taking Paul Merson's word as gospel.

He isn't the brightest chap at the best of times.

Last season he was saying that Van Persie was better than Messi .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I can.
    Can you?

Oh you can? Thats good, maybe you should use the ability then.

Oh you can? Thats good, maybe you should use the ability then.
    I did.
    You named a host of Ipswich players of the future and Macheda.
    Macheda is not good enough for a top team.

That is what I'm saying about the youth development. It's good to keep a few quid coming in, but it's not producing players who will make the first team.

addendum: and if I remember correctly, Macheda didn't come through the man utd youth system. Though I'm open to correction on that.

I did.

That is what I'm saying about the youth development. It's good to keep a few quid coming in, but it's not producing players who will make the first team.

Apparently you cant even read either.

Show me the post were I named said players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I did.

addendum: and if I remember correctly, Macheda didn't come through the man utd youth system. Though I'm open to correction on that.

I named them, not Fuhrer.

I have high hopes for Cleverley, I think you may be right about Macheda not being a true youth developed by United but that's not to say we didn't give him what he needs to really step up. He's gonna be a cracking player.

Do you watch the United reserves or U18's?!

Show me the post were I named said players.
    Mars Bar named them, then you picked up the baton. My apologies to you, I slipped up on your tears of vitriol/

Can you even count

Ugh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

did vidic sign a long term deal this year? if rooney does go then you'd have to wonder about the better players that are left , will they become restless?

Mars Bar named them, then you picked up the baton. My apologies to you, I slipped up on your tears of vitriol/

You sure you slipped up? Maybe you lack the ability to simply put one foot in front of the other and walk, the evidence would suggest it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

smodgley wrote: »
    his poor form in the WC was because he knew the poop was about to hit the fan in his private life, i do believe there is some truth in what merson has just said in SSN and that he was tapped up, why would you want to leave the biggest club in the world ? DOUBLE YOUR WAGES IS WHY (IMO)
    Top player wants to double his wages shocker from Merson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This whole thing stinks to high heaven.
    On the back of his most successful season goals wise and performance wise Rooney decides that he wants to leave the club .
    He won the Premiership player of the year and was voted the third best player in the world and had his best goals tally.
    He is at one of the biggest clubs in the world ,certainly top 5 and it held in high regard by the fans .
    Why would he choose to leave especially when the only bigger teams in World football dont really have any interst in him (Barca,Real,Chelsea) unlike Ronaldo who Real moved heaven and earth to sign.
    It can only come down to one thing and one thing only,money ,the root of all evil.
    Perhaps Rooney decided he should be the highest paid player at Utd (which he should ) and decided to play hard ball to get it.
    He calls Utds bluff by saying he wont sign an extension to his contract ,he still has nearly 2 years left to run .
    Somewhere along the line things have gotten out of control though and the contract negotiation strategy seems to have spiralled out of control into outright war.

mars bar wrote: »
    I named them, not Fuhrer.

I have high hopes for Cleverley, I think you may be right about Macheda not being a true youth developed by United but that's not to say we didn't give him what he needs to really step up. He's gonna be a cracking player.

Do you watch the United reserves or U18's?!
    Macheda will never be a cracking player.
    He'll be a good sub, that's about it.

You can have all the hopes you want for Cleverly, but that won't make him a top player. He'll be at Ipswich, or whatever club Roy Keane is managing , in 4 years.

BERBA wrote: »
    did vidic sign a long term deal this year? if rooney does go then you'd have to wonder about the better players that are left , will they become restless?

Yeah, 4 years.

any one think that NESV might throw all their eggs in one basket and make rooney their marque signing in Jan , Rooney would really hack old fergie off then.
    God i hope not. Don't want him at the club tbh.

You sure you slipped up? Maybe you lack the ability to simply put one foot in front of the other and walk, the evidence would suggest it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Mister men wrote: »
    God i hope not. Don't want him at the club tbh.

Yeah, you guys are doing just fine without him.

• Advertisement

Childish video

You get bullied a lot in school, dont you?

You get bullied a lot in school, dont you?
    Don't let it worry your little head.
    Now run along.

I wonder has the ankle injury Rooney picked up against Bayern in the away leg any bearing on Rooneys state of mind ?
    Did Ferguson force him back too quickly for the second leg ,Rooney has been atrocious since that incident.
    Perhaps Rooney blames Ferguson for rushing him back and his subsequent poor form in the World Cup.
    Just a thought .
    Nah i think people are'nt giving Rooney the credit here he deserves. Why would he want to stay at a club in decline on and to a huge extent off the pitch when he can double his wages at another club who are more likely to be challanging for honours in the near future. It's a no brainer for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Cop the **** on the two of ye and take the childish tit for tat to PM.

I'll gladly take the ban/infraction for back seat modding if it gets ye to stop ruining this thread with your childish and immature name calling crap.

Grow up the pair of ye!!

Don't let it worry your little head.
    Now run along.

Im good, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I wonder how many managers are now thinking... "All I want for Christmas is Roo"?

• Advertisement

Nah i think people are'nt giving Rooney the credit here he deserves. Why would he want to stay at a club in decline on and to a huge extent off the pitch when he can double his wages at another club who are more likely to be challanging for honours in the near future. It's a no brainer for him.

So, by your same logic its a no brainer for Torres to up and leave at the end of the season as well? And it a lesser extent, Fabregas should be packing his bags.

Macheda will never be a cracking player.
    He'll be a good sub, that's about it.

You can have all the hopes you want for Cleverly, but that won't make him a top player. He'll be at Ipswich, or whatever club Roy Keane is managing , in 4 years.

Whatever, I have faith in our youth system.

yeah but fans want success now not in 5 years time.

Grand.
    No-one has come through it for years.
    J Evans maybe, but he's not been looking the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I wonder how many managers are now thinking... "All I want for Christmas is Roo"?

/unsubscribes

• Advertisement

So, by your same logic its a no brainer for Torres to up and leave at the end of the season as well? And it a lesser extent, Fabregas should be packing his bags.
    Tbh i'd accepted Torres will be going months ago. Can you blame him with the manager we have. Will the ownership situation change that? Who knows. Fabregas i'd say is in his final season with Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If Rooney doesn't wanna play for the best club in the world then he can fcuk off.

We don't need players who don't appreciate our club

In SAF we trust

Manchester Everton. Yuck.

Tbh i'd accepted Torres will be going months ago. Can you blame him with the manager we have. Will the ownership situation change that? Who knows. Fabregas i'd say is in his final season with Arsenal.

Torres and Rooney will go to chelski and city ....who goes where?

Guy i work with has gone from "I actually think he will do better then Ronaldo. Sure he isn't as technical but he makes the team better and his English mentality is the stuff that makes him a future captain and current legend" to now "I wish he'd **** off to City, never liked him as a player.:pac:
    It's why i love football tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

rarnes1 wrote: »

Next time United advertise a picture of a player celebrating a city goal, I'll buy everyone here a pint. Whatever the colour they paint it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Cleverley and Macheda will become first team regulars I would imagine.

In time we'll see Pogba, Eikrem, Morrisson and Keane maybe? and King.

That's a pretty good return in my book.

=
    PHB, 2005 wrote:
    Just so I am very clear, I think the following players will make it into the United regular team, and deservedly so.

Bardesly
    McShane
    Pique
    Spector
    David Jones
    Ronaldo
    Rossi
    Rooney

United are producing another golden generation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

yeah but fans want success now not in 5 years time.

No at United it is all about long term. Not just this season. Noone is doubting that United are below their usual extremely high standard at the moment, even with Rooney in the side. Noone is doubting that United are financially in trouble at the moment so can't go out and buy 5 new world class players in January.
    But very few United fans doubt that our troubles on the pitch are long term. We will find a Rooney successor either at the club or somewhere. We do have alot of youth coming true that are extremely promising. And we do have the most successful PL club with the best manager to get us through these tough times.

• Advertisement

Torres and Rooney will go to chelski and city ....who goes where?
    Torres most likely to Inter or so it's been rumoured and Rooney to City seems to be nailed on. Chelsea would have to offer us a ****load of cash for Torres to keep him in England i'd say most likely in excess of 70m.

killwill wrote: »
    No at United it is all about long term. Not just this season. Noone is doubting that United are below their usual extremely high standard at the moment, even with Rooney in the side. Noone is doubting that United are financially in trouble at the moment so can't go out and buy 5 new world class players in January.
    But very few United fans doubt that our troubles on the pitch are long term. We will find a Rooney successor either at the club or somewhere. We do have alot of youth coming true that are extremely promising. And we do have the most successful PL club with the best manager to get us through these tough times.
    Do you think fergie will be around in five years time?

Torres most likely to Inter or so it's been rumoured and Rooney to City seems to be nailed on. Chelsea would have to offer us a ****load of cash for Torres to keep him in England i'd say most likely in excess of 70m.

Inter have Eto'o and Milito, they don't need Torres.

=

3 players made it on the big stage from that list. Pity we couldn't have held on to Pique.

Here's hoping I get luckier than PHB! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Utd will struggle to make the top 3 this season. As a liverppol fan I can (happily) say that Rooney is a traitor. Too big headed to make peace and let Baygons be baygons. Football needs managers like Fergie to give players a good kick up the ar$e, settle them down and just focus on football, not this high rolling celebrity life. Rooney you made a very bad decision leaving utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Silks at 1.24.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Inter have Eto'o and Milito, they don't need Torres.

With the form both Rooney and Torres are showing at the moment they would be lucky to get a game with Shamrock Rovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

No, apparently they've known since August.

Yes I am well aware they know since the 14th August, what is your point?

3 players made it on the big stage from that list. Pity we couldn't have held on to Pique.

Here's hoping I get luckier than PHB! :D

Pique, Rooney and Ronaldo? None of them were products of the academy, though... :)

None of the big English academies are producing players like they used to. Dunno if that's down to the 90 minute rule, lack of investment or an increase in foreign players, but I reckon it will be a long time before we see another "golden generation" emerge from an English academy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I have been watching him play week in week out for the last 6 years and I have always thought his first touch was his weakest attribute.
    His touch is poor for a player supposedly in the top 3 in Europe.
    He has 2 good feet,is strong on the ball ,reads the ball very well and is a good passer.
    He doenst have much pace though and is a poor dribbler.

He is far from a perfect centre forward and his international and club scoring record would prove that.
    If he is marked tightly by a fast centre back ,he will most likely get frustrated and lash out .
    Rooney isnt a player who can create space for himself in a match ,he doesnt have the pace or trickery to do that.
    His first touch is top quality. I'm amazed that such a big football fan can be so clueless.
    As I said his goalscoring only properly came good last season so his career record wouldn't be that special yet. 34 goals a season not enough for you?
    Rooney is very good at finding space for himself. His dribbling isn't great as you say and he lacks pace but his close control and his movement mean that he gets all the space he needs to score and assist.
    Rooney's firey temper is a problem but it still doesn't stop him being a great centre forward.

I cant agree with that ,Utd have become very negative in away CL matches,Valencia this season ,Bayern last season (bar the opening 15 mins) ,they resemble Liverpool under Benitez in away matches.

United have been way less negative than they used to be when Ronaldo was around. The problem is the lack of quality in cm to implement the new plan. There were many boring, both teams being half arsed, early round CL games like the one against Valencia back in the days of United playing attacking football in the CL. It's what happens in the important games that matters. In the Bayern game after the first spell we were played off the park and went a man down.
    On the flip side there are alot of Utd fanboys on here and EPL lovers on here who cant see a footballing world past Dover .
    They base their opinions of foreign teams and players most likely on a few Champions league viewings per season.
    There is a football world outside the circus that the Sun,Sky Sports News and the British and Irish media peddle every day.

Rooney is overated but perhaps then again so are 90% of footballers .
    Anyway enough talk ,I must watch some ball.
    Just because there are some idiots who overrate the PL doesn't mean that the idiots who underrate it are any less idiotic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement